[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ruger is #1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 40

There's just no other American gun manufacturer that can compete. Best quality, best value, best everything.

>hurr durr wudabout muh hyper-expensive "premium" fanboi AR!?
No one is buying those anymore. Party's over fanboi, time to hop on the next bandwagon.
>hurr durr lol Ruger bad triggers.
They fixed that. Now they have some of the best triggers. Welcome to 2017.
>hur durr muh politics tho
Yeah, no one cares. Besides, that whole "OMG THEY DID SUMTHIN THAT MAKES MY PUSSY SORE BECAUSE 2A!" argument gets launched so much, for so many reasons, at so many different things, that it's meaningless now. Grow up.

Ruger is just the best right now. Deal with it.
>>
>>34911599
>hurr durr wudabout muh hyper-expensive "premium" fanboi AR!?
c'mon, son. nobody is buying a ruger budget AR when there are countless amazing ARs on the market. not to mention the market is saturated with arguably better budget ARs.

>hurr durr lol Ruger bad triggers.
i guess. most triggers are good if you know how to shoot.

>hur durr muh politics tho
only a retard would debate the polotics of a gun manufacturer when there are hundreds to choose from.

ruger has a good business model, but they are really the mcdonallds of guns.
>>
Ruger is second to hi-point when it comes to melanated peoples brand preference for firearms
>>
File: b8 for the b8 god.png (94KB, 1016x970px) Image search: [Google]
b8 for the b8 god.png
94KB, 1016x970px
>>34911703
>c'mon, son. nobody is buying a ruger budget AR when there are countless amazing ARs on the market.

I did. I liked the warranty and the price. I didn't look at other budget AR's because of that, and that there's maybe only a handful. I also am too busy/lazy to build one myself, so there's that.
>>
>>34911599
The politics of Ruger isn't a complete zero sum, they did things that actually were bad and should be opposed.

The thing is, this was under Bill, and the company has radically transformed since his passing.
Sturm Ruger is a much better company today thanks to the decade long leadership of Bill's successor, O'Fiefer, being much better at appealing to the market, being better at making money, being better at making products, and being better at treating employees.

Ruger is kind of like the anti-Colt, in that they've become better with time, making up for things they once did wrong, and actually focus strongly on the civilian market.

>>34911755
>salty

>>34911782
The AR556 is an acceptable budget rifle. Not really one of their more exciting products, but it's one of the options if that's the kind of rifle you're looking for.
Not to mention it would probably make Bill's blood boil if he knew his company would not only make AR15s, but be selling them commercially to civilians, with normal 'hicap' magazines.
>>
>>34911703
Eh, I'd honestly call Ruger the Burger King of guns: quite common, but in (my opinion) tasty food/guns done reasonably consistently.

Going by pure numbers, Automat Kalash is McDonald's- also helps because McDonald's is very consistent and has one or two things I like.
Hi-Point is Cookout- a good meal/gun for cheap, but some people don't want to be associated with it.
S&W is Five Guys- a little overhyped, but they'll give you so many fries/rebates it doesn't really matter.
>>
File: lmt ar fifteen.jpg (111KB, 672x384px) Image search: [Google]
lmt ar fifteen.jpg
111KB, 672x384px
>>34911599
Eat shit

LMT
M
T
>>
>>34911599
And yet Ruger has never won a US or any other military contract

Really makes you think
>>
>>34911857
mcdonald, like ruger is an american company. it's a solid analogy. i don't think there is a fast food analogous to commie guns. maybe a breadline.
>>
>>34912101
they focus strictly on the consumer market. nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>34911857
hipoint is like food stamps.
>>
>>34912308
Ruger sounds like the opposite of Colt
>>
>>34912101
But they have, they won a contract for supplying P90 series pistols to US armor crew (the low cost probably being what sold them), they sold AC556 rifles to Bermuda, they sold and setup production for AC556 variants in France (which they still use), and they sold 10/22 rifles to Israeli 'Riot Control' (which their snipers use, as 'less than lethal' weapons, which probably is pretty morally detestable).

But it doesn't really matter if they don't get military contracts, because Ruger is mostly about civilian sales and maybe the odd LEO sales. Notice how a huge amount of their lineup makes up target rifles, hunting rifles, compact carry guns, big bore revolvers, etc? That's what they do primarily.

It'd be like saying 'Volquartsen don't get any military contracts', like, does it matter? That's not really what those guys do.
>>
>>34912101
Have they actually tried bidding for any? Is a military contract the holy Grail of the firearms world?
>>
>>34912368
Yes, military contracts are a big deal, just look at the MHS that Sig won
>>
>>34912368
They've done some occasional bidding, even won a few, check the post above.

Military contracts are lucrative and have some prestige, but they're not the end-all-be-all, H&H do exactly one thing, luxury sporting rifles, and they do this well.
You wouldn't point out that H&H never won any military contracts when that's not the guns that they do, it's irrelevant, likewise it's not really what Ruger does, for the most part (and it's even incorrect), so why make it a point against them? They're clearly specialized on the civilian market.
>>
I like my 10/22.

Fight me.
>>
>>34912389
They are indeed, but there are other avenues for wealth and prestige in the industry.
>>
Is this real Zed, still shitposting away from the grave?
>>
>>34912360
>isreilis
>morally detestable

no, never. you are obviously misinterpreting what moral means in todays rapidly changing global environment. a layer will be contacting you soon to help you understand. have a great day.
>>
>>34911857
>BK
>tasty
Are you 7 years old?
>>
>>34912407
everyone likes their 10/22 when they are 16.
>>
>>34912425
You know, I can take issues with various things they do without having to go into full /pol/ territory.

I know Jews who do.
>>
>>34912438
Breh, a 10/22 never stops being fun.
>>
>>34912323
Yeah.

>Ruger has gotten a lot better with time
>Colt has gotten a lot worse with time
>Ruger did bad things but made amends for them
>Colt did bad things
>Ruger focuses on the civilian market and caters greatly to it, this is highly profitable for them
>Colt still thinks they can get military contracts and throws the occasional token effort to the civilian market, this is the reason they almost went bankrupt AGAIN a while back
>>
File: panting ruger.png (73KB, 944x1024px) Image search: [Google]
panting ruger.png
73KB, 944x1024px
why is ruger's logo so lewd?

>>34911857
>>34912435
i went to BK the other night and it was the most disappointing fast food ive ever had

and i was drunk, too, but it was still bland as fuck
>>
>>34912101

They haven't given enough money to the right people?
>>
>>34912516
Blame Alex Sturm for the Lewd Eagle.

Still looks nice, Germanic heraldry, very HRE.
>>
File: Ruger AR556.png (2MB, 1434x807px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger AR556.png
2MB, 1434x807px
>>34911703
>nobody is buying a ruger budget AR when there are countless amazing ARs on the market.
It's actually completely opposite now. The high-end AR's are sitting on the shelf, being discounted over and over in an attempt to move them, while the budget ARs are selling steadily.

Really what it is is that the Panic is over, and in its wake pretty much everyone who wants an AR has... several... and the people who are just getting into the AR market are going to go entry-level and may or may not ever step up.

Enter Ruger: The AR556 was exactly the right gun at exactly the right price at exactly the right time. When I got this one, I looked at all the other entry-level ARs on the market, and Ruger had the most features, best quality, and best value.

Ruger is just best at reading the market, and they are dominating the industry right now because of that.
>>
File: Ruger Army Contract.png (75KB, 988x596px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger Army Contract.png
75KB, 988x596px
>>34912101
>And yet Ruger has never won a US or any other military contract
>I am Anonymous, and I have no clue what the fuck I'm talking about, ever."

http://www.ruger.com/news/2004-12-23.html

Jesus Christ Anon. Try a *fraction* of fact checking before you make a fool of yourself.
>>
>>34913102
>KP95D
THAT was the one, I was trying to remember which pistol they got contracted for.
>>
>>34911599
>There's just no other American gun manufacturer that can compete. Best quality, best value, best everything.

In terms of large companies, yes pretty much all of them with the exception of Smith & Wesson have gone to complete shit.
>>
I'm kind of a Ruger fanboy myself, but in truth:
The 10/22 is overrated. It has weird and fiddly controls, especially the bolt release. I sold mine after I found that I actually enjoyed firing my AR-7 *way* more.
The Mini-14 is underrated. Autistically screech all you want, it really *is* just as good a rifle as the AR-15.
The LCR is an amazing gun, and I love mine, but the sights could be a *lot* better.
The Mini-14 and the LCP showed the way in which Ruger is a lot like Apple: never buy the "1.0" version of any Apple product, or any Ruger product. The 580 series of the Mini-14 is *much* better than its predecessors due to its redesigned barrel; the LCP II is *much* better than its predecessors because of its redesigned trigger. The good news is that Ruger *does* learn its lessons eventually; the bad news is that you often have to wait until they do before you can really buy in confidence.
>>
>>34913270
>The LCR is an amazing gun, and I love mine, but the sights could be a *lot* better.

You can always change the sights, and if you want adjustable sights, then the 3" LCRx is what you want.
>>
>>34913270
>I sold mine after I found that I actually enjoyed firing my AR-7 *way* more.
Consider that the AR7 has a short lifespan and will sustain a fair bit of wear from regular plinking.
The barrel on the new Henry made ones really don't have a good lifespan, they are emergency rifles by design.

>The Mini-14 is underrated.
I agree, it's actually a quite good rifle and it's reputation on bad accuracy is outdated and incorrect.

>Autistically screech all you want, it really *is* just as good a rifle as the AR-15.
Not quite, the AR15 has a well enclosed and completely inline action, it handles dirt better (mostly a non-issue to most folks though), and it has better inherent accuracy potential. It's also really easy to free-float an AR15, again being conducive to accuracy.
The Mini-14 is a good rifle, it's only real flaw is that it just isn't as good as the excellent AR15.

>The Mini-14 and the LCP showed the way in which Ruger is a lot like Apple: never buy the "1.0" version of any Apple product, or any Ruger product
Bill was smart, but he was also a fudd, he didn't have the best business sense at the best of times, and wasn't perhaps always the kindest employer.
Bill understood the problems with the Mini-14 at the time but chose to not rectify them.
Other products of theirs have been fine for first variants, the Blackhawk, the Security Six, the 10/22, the M77, etc, etc.

I think the realest lesson is that Bill made the company and he was an asset, but he ultimately also held them back.
>>
>>34911948
you seem to be unaware of the proper format for verticalposting, friend. the correct way to type that would be:
L M T
M
T
>>
>>34913373
>The barrel on the new Henry made ones really don't have a good lifespan, they are emergency rifles by design.
I wish someone made an aftermarket barrel for them that was more sturdy and that fit inside the stock. Anyhow, I figure that a new barrel every few years will just be part of the cost of ownership of my AR-7.
>>
>>34913102
Didn't SEALs also carry Security Six's back in the day?
>>
File: inna box.png (683KB, 576x734px) Image search: [Google]
inna box.png
683KB, 576x734px
>>34913270
>never buy the "1.0" version of any Apple product, or any Ruger product.
Gospel.
Pic related: The LC9s Pro, orders of MAGNITUDE better than the original hammer-fired LC9.

And it's just a really fucking great little pistol. A shade larger than the LCP, very good trigger, good sights, stupid easy to put rounds on target, reliable as a hammer... it's basically the ideal pocket carry.
>>
>>34913438
SEAL does lots of things, I wouldn't be surprised if someone brought a Security Six for something at some point.

It was a very popular revolver with Law Enforcement, partially because Ruger sold them nearly at a cost, giving people a good deal on a good revolver that can handle all manner of use and abuse.

Some guy on here actually bought a Security Six which turned out to have been chambered for, get this: .38 Smith & Wesson
Apparently it's a gun that Ruger must have sold on order to some foreign country, possibly to police somewhere (it was either somewhere in South America or it was in India), and it had apparently ended up being re-imported, the people he bought it from didn't even know it wasn't in .357 Magnum and gave him his money back.
Given the build of the Security Six, I imagine it would damn near last forever on .38 Smith & Wesson
>>
File: top.jpg (122KB, 1400x425px) Image search: [Google]
top.jpg
122KB, 1400x425px
I'm happy they make the mini 14 or I'd have no fun gunz in ny.
>>
>>34914502
This is actually a good point. Love it or hate it, the Mini 14 has been used to confuse and confound the anti-gunners for decades.
>>
>>34913422
People do make those anon, I own one. It's solid steel and the same shape as the factory barrel.
>>
>>34914657
Pistol grip , muzzle breaks and picatiny rails are scary.
>>
How are Ruger revolvers compared to Smiths?
>>
>>34915011
No Hillary Hole.
>>
>>34915011
S&W makes better revolvers, IMO.
>>
>>34915011
S&W kind of stopped caring as much about the revolver game, in my opinion, their 3rd gen steel framed automatics are finer than most of the revolvers they're currently producing.

Ruger actually makes surprisingly good revolvers with a fairly rudimentary production method, they have an extremely good grasp at investment casting and know how to use it just right to make the best of it.
They are so good at investment casting as a process that they have this production outsourced to them by all manner of other companies, probably the premier investment casters in all of the US.

Their revolvers are a bit heftier because of it, but on the other hand, there's some inherent strength to the thickness, and some of them have particularly strong lockworks, making them very well suitable to hot ammunition, like their Blackhawks and Redhawks, very suitable revolvers for someone who wants to make spicy handloads.
>>
>>34915011
ive heard good things about the gp100, and it pretty much is a toss up between it and the s&w 686
>>
Does Ruger sell 10 round mags for the Mini-14? The ones they sell only come with 5 or 20 round mags, but I live in a state with 10 round max.
>>
>>34913751
>Some guy on here actually bought a Security Six which turned out to have been chambered for, get this: .38 Smith & Wesson

in Britain its called .380 strangely enough and has a history of being used in enfield revolvers as the 38-200

and ruger made a few guns in 38 s&w including security sixes, and gp100s

I desperately want a security six but i guess a sp101, or a gp100 will have to do but I dont know if they are the quality the six series is.
>>
>>34915856
I was under the impression the GP100 was basically an improvement of the Six series, especially since they have have a locking lug on the crane like the Redhawk
>>
>>34912389
You mean the drop n pop?
>>
File: match champion.jpg (93KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
match champion.jpg
93KB, 1000x700px
>>34915856
The Security Six and GP100 is probably comparable.

Security Six is really easy to find used, and if you want a slightly finer revolver, the GP100 has the somewhat snazzier Match Champion variant, available with both fixed combat sights and adjustable target sights.
>>
>>34915881
Ironically, only a problem with the regular commercial model, not the model that US Army adopted.
>>
No one is number one because no one company does everything the best. As usual it all depends on context and zeds dead, baby.
>>
>>34911755
Do you talk out of your ass this much outside of 4chan?
>>
>>34915896
I love the GP100 Champion, but I switched out the wood grip for the beef steak thick rubber grip with wood panels.

Just my preference.
>>
>>34912298
Burger King is an American company too, retard.
>>
>>34916180

Yeah, but we don't fuck with that filthy monarchist scum
>>
>>34916180
i was referring to the ak not being american. i did word it kinda retarded though.
>>
>>34911599
Zed, i expect more of you, this troll post doesn't even look like a fun time.

Normally i enjoy reading your finely honed stupidity and the moronic replies it garners
>>
>>34914718
Linky?
>>
>>34916180
Thought it was UK based.
>>
>>34911599
I just looked through this thread and none of these fadt food analogies fit. This thread is dildos
>>
>>34912101
shouldnt you be shilling for Crisco?
>>
File: 1501278384732.png (907KB, 941x730px) Image search: [Google]
1501278384732.png
907KB, 941x730px
Rugers got it right!
>>
File: 1476578702564.jpg (188KB, 1280x892px) Image search: [Google]
1476578702564.jpg
188KB, 1280x892px
>>34918160
>mfw my job regularly lets me travel to flagstaff and sedona and liberals have to deal with my open carry.
>>
>>34911599

lol Ruger.

I'm a real man and I only buy real guns that take manly skill. Ruger is for the most feminine penis. When I fire just about anythign else I flex with power, and pose for the ladies who love me long time. When anyone fires a Ruger, they are put on the Chuck Norris ab workout infomercial as the before picture. Why be the before, when you can be the after?
>>
>>34918228
Is open carry common in Arizona?
>>
>>34918293
Maybe more in the rural areas but I live near asu and ive seen people open carry, most people don't really react they just look a little bit and keep on with their business.
>>
>>34916233
Sry M90, I can't troll all the time. This thread is actually for-really-reals. Ruger has been on-point for about a decade now.

I guess if anything, you could call it a troll-with-truth. Those usually net about 90% of /k/, who will respond with arfcom-level autistic screeching if you challenge any of their false-god tribal lore.

Like JHP, for instance. But that's another thread.
>>
File: Rugerdog1.jpg (12KB, 300x359px) Image search: [Google]
Rugerdog1.jpg
12KB, 300x359px
>>34918251
>When anyone fires a Ruger, they are put on the Chuck Norris ab workout infomercial as the before picture.
I giggled.
Have a Rugerdog on me.
>>
File: Michael O. Fifer.jpg (7KB, 225x300px) Image search: [Google]
Michael O. Fifer.jpg
7KB, 225x300px
>>34919934
>Ruger has been on-point for about a decade now
Thank this wonderful and Jewish looking (but Irish) person, he spent the decade taking Ruger to never before seen heights.

I'm hoping his successor is at least as good of a man.
>>
Ruger was absolute dogshit til Bill died. Now I feel like they're my number 1 manufacturer just from the quality and affordability of alot of their products
>Hurr cheap nigger shit
That newer handgun they did, what was it? The AMERICAN HANDGUN or something is fucking retarded though.
>>
>>34920680
I think they should go back to hammer fired DA/SA pistols, there isn't quite enough of that in the business.
Make that with a plastic frame and a 17rd magazine and I'd bet it'd sell.

I wouldn't say they were shit under Bill, the 10/22, Blackhawk, Security Six and M77 were all done when he ran the place, but he was just holding them back by the end.
He was a fudd and a traitor, but he was also a pretty clever inventor and mechanic of firearms.
>>
>>34920680
Ruger made good guns when Bill was around though
>>
File: IMG_20170726_184625.jpg (3MB, 4160x3088px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170726_184625.jpg
3MB, 4160x3088px
>>34914502
Same here in CA. I refuse to own a cucked AK and there's probably some rich baby boomer hoarding all the SKS's so the Mini 30 was my go-to choice for 7.62x39.
>>
File: Mini30 Folder.jpg (121KB, 800x316px) Image search: [Google]
Mini30 Folder.jpg
121KB, 800x316px
>>34922441
The Mini-30 isn't even a bad rifle, probably has somewhat better inherent accuracy than the average SKS.
Also if laws change you can get larger mags and a cool folding stock.

Post more pics pls
>>
>>34918160
Is the scottsdale gun club actually good? It's only 20 minutes away from me but I have never been.
>>
>>34915896
The Match Champion is the finest revolver on the market for less than $1000 new
>>
File: 1503201601227.gif (1MB, 277x325px) Image search: [Google]
1503201601227.gif
1MB, 277x325px
>>34913045
>Ruger is just best at reading the market, and they are dominating the industry right now because of that.

I'm still pissed off that my Mark III came with a shit bluing job and a magazine that won't fucking feed properly, though. Hard to stay loyal to a company that's let QC slip so much on flagship products.
>>
>>34915022

This.
>>
>>34915022
>>34923197
not having an internal lock doesn't make Ruger revolvers better

Smiths look better, are more accurate, and have better triggers
>>
>>34923167
Im truely sory 4 ur lots.
The two new Rugers I bought this year have been exemplary. Did you get yours from a pawn shop or something?
>>
>>34923240

Brand new from the gun store, hence my lack of amusement. I'm also slightly salty about them fucking up the Mini-14 so bad that people have to rebed the action and buy this fucking thing to unfuck the barrel harmonics: http://www.accu-strut.com/

"They got better" people said, so I bought a Mark III and found out its fucking retarded magazine design can't feed for *shit.* Lies, they were. LIES.
>>
>>34923327
>I'm also slightly salty about them fucking up the Mini-14 so bad that people have to rebed the action and buy this fucking thing to unfuck the barrel harmonics: http://www.accu-strut.com/
Those are only necessary on old 180 series Mini-14 rifles, which had extremely slim barrel profiles and would start to string fairly fast, as the barrel would heat up rather easily. This was generally the chief problem with the old rifles, and the strut will genuinely help, but on the newer guns they just add weight.

Current 580 series rifles have a thicker and sturdier barrel profile, and the gas system handles heat a little bit better, on top of being made with much nicer QC (Bill probably had the same tooling used for longer than was appropriate).
>>
What are Ruger's best guns?
>>
>>34923524
Blackhawk line.
Redhawk line.
Ruger Precision Rifles
10/22s
>>
>>34913751
An anon posted a SS with FIVE squib loads fired back to back to back with only barrel bulging to show for it.
>>
>>34923563
That actually isn't that unusual with squib loads in revolvers.

There's a gab between the barrel and the cylinder, so even if there's a bore obstruction, the pressure isn't ever fully trapped, you'll likely get progressively larger fireballs blowing through that gap though.
I've seen many examples of revolvers where a squib stopped in the bore and bullets successively lodge in the bore behind, having gradually bulged the bore and then finally the shooting comes to a stop when the last bullet jams the cylinder in place
>>
>>34923543
This, and:
AR556
SR556
LCP
LC9s
Mark IV
Gunsite Scout
M77
Number 1
Mini-14

did I miss any?
>>
>>34923666
GP100
SP101
That odd little lever-action 10/22 they made once.
P85, P89, P90, P95, etc (RIP)

Also I forgot about the No.1, but it's nice to know a major company puts effort into a falling block rifle, they have their places.
>>
>ruger thread
>mentions of almost everything except the double stack pistols
a-are they bad or something?
>>
>>34923543
>>34924021
Are their LCR revolvers bad?
>>
>>34924055
They're perfectly alright, the old DA/SA hammer fired pistols were rather solid economy pistols, and there doesn't seem to be anything outstandingly wrong with the Ruger American or SR9.
I just personally think the last two are really boring.

>>34924058
They're actually a pretty good modern take on the light snub.
In .38 Special or 9mm Luger you actually have a very decent light carry.

I'd avoid the .357 Magnum one though because the light weight makes the recoil rather harsh, hell, I wouldn't suggest an all steel .357 Magnum snub to anyone who doesn't practice a lot with one, they're a bit 'stiff' to handle, so to speak.
>>
>>34923444

Well it costs me nothing to rebed the stock except a few drops of loc-tite so may as well try that and see how it works, I guess. I might glass bed or free-float it while I'm at it, improve accuracy a little more.

Series 180, you say? Anywhere I could look up the serial number range with the problematic barrels? The gun's fairly old.
>>
Gonna ignore all the banter that I'm sure is in this thread and instead just drop by to say that I agree with OP.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170813-020205.png (10KB, 490x69px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170813-020205.png
10KB, 490x69px
>>34912438
>Implying plinking steel soda cans and old fruit is ever not fun.

Get tf over yourself breh.
>>
File: mini14buyersguide.jpg (967KB, 1194x4728px) Image search: [Google]
mini14buyersguide.jpg
967KB, 1194x4728px
>>34924309
Yeah, Mini-14 rifles with a serial number range starting around 180 (also earlier and a bit later, I've seen rifles starting at 177) were designed with thin barrels.
Mini-14 rifles with the serial number range starting at 580/581 and up have the stronger barrel profile and slightly nicer gas system (and some other changes).

That said, if you take an old 180 series rifle and bed it and strut it, you could probably get passable accuracy, and for longer.
As long as you don't do a shitload of magdumping it'll fly.
Pic related is a shorthand guide for the Mini-14, it's a bit old, but it'll still tell you a few things.
>>
>>34913199
>with the exception of Smith & Wesson have gone to complete shit.
I have bad news for you goy.
>>
>>34924194
>I just personally think the last two are really boring.

Perhaps the same could be said of all polymer striker-fired pistols.
>>
>>34911599
Their bolt actions and revolvers are good, their semi autos suck. Yes that includes that POS the 10/22.
>>
>>34924492
Yeah, Glocks and their clones are really not very interesting.
I hate the feel of their triggers, generally.

>>34924582
>shot Remshit Thunderbolts with some shitty gimmick mag
>>
>>34912101
Their service revolvers held major contracts with the Air Force, Border Patrol, and perhaps some other agencies, back when Bill Ruger was alive. They haven't won many big ones since then, as far as I know, but I suspect that is more due to their business strategy being focused on selling to the general public as opposed to being dependent on the corporate welfare that is government contracting.
>>
File: 9103n6CDF+L._SY445_.jpg (56KB, 341x445px) Image search: [Google]
9103n6CDF+L._SY445_.jpg
56KB, 341x445px
Ruger P90 they finest .45 ACP made!
>>
Was looking into getting a single-action revolver, not too concerned about historical accuracy (hence why I'm not going straight to Uberti). Heard that Ruger is second to none, but I'm torn between the Vaquero and Blackhawk (both in .357). Anyone have experience with the two?
>>
>>34924021
I'd love to get a No. 1 but I have no idea if I'd want it in something relatively cheap and shootable or a dumb huge caliber
>>
>>34920680
Can confirm bought Ruger American, literally does nothing the SR9 didn't do, bulky, hard to find a good holster. Need to find another idiot to sell it to.
>>
>>34924582
>their semi autos suck.
>doesn't explain what is mechanically wrong with them

Every fucking time.
>>
>>34911599
Buying everything from one company is stupid, get whatever fills the roll the best from the company that's best at it
>AR
Colt, FN, PSA premium, BCM, etc.
>automatic pistol
HK, Colt, Walther, Beretta, etc.
>revolver
Smith and Wesson Performance Center, Korth
>shotguns
Benelli, Mossberg
>bolt action rifle
Winchester/FN
>>
File: IMG_0562.jpg (2MB, 1532x2042px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0562.jpg
2MB, 1532x2042px
>>34911599
did someone say... RUGER THREAD?
>>
>>34922471
Wish they made 30 round mags for it though. I'd love to dress mine up as an AC-556.
>>
>>34927597
>Smith and Wesson

Hello internal lock
>>
My Ruger Scout is a tight rifle
Ausfag so no semi centrefire

I have shot a lot of animals with it,
>>
File: Mini30 GB Styled.jpg (33KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Mini30 GB Styled.jpg
33KB, 640x360px
>>34928008
There's aftermarket 30rd mags.

Problem is they're made by ProMag, so god knows how well they work. The metal ones probably hold up better than their plastic ones because ProMag use dogshit plastic.
>>
>>34911948
Nice $1000 dollar and special snowflake paintjob. You must be so proud of yourself.
>>
>>34911807
>they did things that actually were bad and should be opposed.

Bill Ruger died 15 years ago.

You want to "oppose" a corpse? Good luck with that.
>>
>>34929484
You don't actually have a gun, do you.
>>
>>34930900
Read the rest of the post you illiterate twat.
>>
>>34911599
They make a basic bitch ar for poor fucks like you and their revolvers are brutish downsyndrome tanks that ruin the aesthetic but at least work well. They are a middle of the road company and will always be no matter what your ignorant ass has to say.
>>
File: Blackhawk .357 Magnum.jpg (82KB, 640x381px) Image search: [Google]
Blackhawk .357 Magnum.jpg
82KB, 640x381px
>>34931341
>ruined aesthetics
If you have shit taste.
>>
File: DSC07665.jpg (23KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC07665.jpg
23KB, 640x480px
>>34915022
>>34923216
But many Rugers DO have trigger locks.
>>
File: ruger-lcr-357-c.jpg (246KB, 425x622px) Image search: [Google]
ruger-lcr-357-c.jpg
246KB, 425x622px
>>34931430
meant to post this one since we're talking revolvers
>>
>>34915904
Nope. It'll still go off if struck on the back of the slide because the striker retainment issue is still present. The trigger moving back isn't why they misfire. Just because they say it's fine doesn't mean it is. Exeter has lied about this issue multiple times now. Their word is not worth anything.
>>
>>34929067
>>34924058
see
>>34931439

Just get an old S&W or dan wesson.
>>
>>34931439
Didn't even know that lock existed.

It doesn't engage by itself (as has been known to happen to S&Ws locks), so it'll probably not be an issue.
>>
>>34922471
Isn't it's barrel .308 rather than .311? I've heard you're pretty much stuck using American eagle and fiocchi
>>
File: 103_0175.jpg (63KB, 800x456px) Image search: [Google]
103_0175.jpg
63KB, 800x456px
>>34931537
There's been a rumor about that for decades, but I've never seen it substantiated.
Slug the bore of both a 180 series Mini-30 and a current 581 series Mini-30 and tell me what you find.
>>
>>34931533
The only S&W locks that engaged when they were shot were their small lightweight ones in while shooting .357 and .44. Regardless, you shouldn't buy a gun with an internal lock, whether it's made by S&W, Ruger, or Korth.
>>
>>34931583
It hasn't caused problems on Rugers so it doesn't matter to me.
>>
>>34924427

Late reply is late, but fucking THANK you anon, this is quite helpful.
>>
>>34930931

I did. It doesn't change what you said in the first line.
>>
>>34931962
The context of my post was, you little spergling, that Ruger actually did do bad things, but that they are in the past, and that they've made up for it.
>>
>>34912438

No fun allowed, the post
>>
>>34931560
Do they eat up hard primered steelcase well? I've heard various rumors to the contrary
>>
>>34933224
Lots of people say they do, lots say they don't.

Various solutions I've heard to if it does is to polish the boltface thoroughly or to replace the hammer spring with a Wolff one.
They seem to work for some people who claimed to have had this problem and have done this.
>>
>>34931430
Used to, the new ones don't.
>>
>>34911755
That's not actually true. Jamal's second go to gun after the Glawk 40 caliber problem solva is the Smith and Wesson SD9VE.
>>
File: 101_4217.jpg (49KB, 324x432px) Image search: [Google]
101_4217.jpg
49KB, 324x432px
>>34912438
>>
>>34931439
Newer LCRs don't have an internal lock, but I can't speak for the LCP or LC9.
>>
>>34933224
This is the kind of shit you read in forums written by fudds who hate steelcase, hate the Mini-14, hate 7.62x39, and want to come up with ANYTHING they can think of to say bad against what is a really nice little carbine in a really useful, plentiful, inexpensive cartridge.

It's all bullshit. All of it. 100%. Ruger knew exactly what kind of ammo would be used in the Mini-30, and weighted the hammer spring and firing pin to suit.
>>
i want a ruger redhawk would i be wasting my money? what do /k/ ?
>>
File: Bateman.jpg (33KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
Bateman.jpg
33KB, 500x385px
>>34911599
What happened to MUH REMINGTONSHIT Zed? A man of shallow convictions and wild shitposting impulses one can only speculate.
>>
>>34912405
>H&H do exactly one thing, luxury sporting rifles, and they do this well.

I thought they did shotguns?
>>
>>34915011
S&W is better, as they forge their guns. This lets them make lighter yet equally strong guns.
>>
>>34920680
There was nothing wrong with the SR9, they should have just improved on that.
>>
>>34927529
Its all over this thread you cherry picking cheesedick.
>>
>>34937353
Depends, what do you want it for? It can be a good revolver for all manner of purposes.
>>
File: Bolt-Action-Rifle.jpg (46KB, 1000x318px) Image search: [Google]
Bolt-Action-Rifle.jpg
46KB, 1000x318px
>>34937398
They do those too.
>>
>>34937598
Link the posts, cumbreath.
>>
File: IMG_0377.png (32KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0377.png
32KB, 500x385px
>>34911703
>polotics
>>
>>34937492
>fire light snub or supermagnum
>lock engages
>>
>>34937708
Read the thread you oozing asshole.
>>
File: Anon didn't know this was a S&W.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
Anon didn't know this was a S&W.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>34937714
They make the 442s without locks if you want. You can also have a gunsmith remove it if you want considering no one has ever had a problem with them ever.
>>
>>34931430
Is that an LCP? My LCP sure as hell doesn't have a lock on it
>>
File: 1500766444260.jpg (160KB, 860x1221px) Image search: [Google]
1500766444260.jpg
160KB, 860x1221px
>>34937785
>having to go to a gunsmith to take the governments cuck cuffs off your freedom maker
>>
>>34938573
Its not the governments lock, its the holding companies locks.
>>
>>34938888
Government, Companies, Hillary counts as both.
>>
>>34938902
Oh god get over it, and stop being a white trash poor fag.
>>
>>34929484
I was pretty close to getting one of those, how expensive are the mags?
>>
>>34938981
I would love to know what specific things you think I need to get over.
>>
>>34939124
Hillary holes on guns you probably couldn't afford.
>>
>>34939163
See, I have gotten over them, that's what you don't understand. They are like a piece of shit on the sidewalk. I stepped over it. I am simply warning others not to step in that same piece of shit.
>>
>>34939191
If you think its a big enough problem to bitch about on the internet then you think its a serious problem. If you want a Smith, get a smith and then take it to a gunsmith and you will have a way better gun.
>>
>>34939226
I think it's a big enough shit to warn others not to step in. If you have to take your brand new gun to someone to get it fixed, it's shit.
>>
>>34939243
They aren't broke though. Only poorfags who sourgrapes guns they can't afford think there is something wrong with them.
>>
>>34939265
>They aren't broke though
The true poorfags always reveal themselves. Wealthy people stay wealthy by knowing how to buy quality.
Buying something that needs to be fixed and then calling others broke shows your own lack of wealth.
>>
>>34939265
>They aren't broke though
If you need to take it to a gunsmith before you want to use it, it's broke.
>>
>>34912516
I find the logo to be overly Caucasian and offensive.

I would appreciate some multiculturalism in the future logo!
>>
>>34912360
>P90 series pistols to US armor crew
I was a tanker and never saw this, we had M9's
Do you have a source? That'd be awesome if that happened.
>>
>>34939730
ok, sorry, I just saw this post:
>>34913102

Still, the Armor world is a SMALL world, and I never saw any Ruger pistols.
>>
>>34937492
>equally strong guns
No, just no. Reloading manuals have loads for Rugers only and exclude smith's. I would agree that it would be relatively easier to find a more accurate smith with a better trigger. But saying they are just as strong is silly.
>>
>>34939359
I think its funnier that that anon can't just do simple gun work himself. And would rather have someone else do it for him.
>>
>>34937492
>S&W is better, as they forge their guns. This lets them make lighter yet equally strong guns.
No, and even if it were true that forging produces a stronger part than investment casting you - and apparently everyone else like you - assume the alloys and heat treatment methods used by both companies are identical...they are not. And regardless, the frames are literally the most trouble free part of either gun.
>>
>>34911599
The only good thing Bill ever did was inventing the .22 the rest is anti gun bullshit
>>
>>34911599

>Zed

These threads are the best, becuase Zed is actually right. Again.
>>
>>34912101
ruger shills btfo
how will ruger ever recover
>>
>>34913045
That's actually looks like a great entry rifle. I'm happy with my Aero, but that AR556 is comparable and cheaper.
>>
>>34937772
>I'm going to argue that my point is right, but not justify WHY or HOW
Melonhead.
>>
>>34937492
>>34937492
>This lets them make lighter yet equally strong guns.
N O P E
O
P
E

Try putting the same hot and heavy hardcasts through a Model 29 as you do a Super Redhawk, see which one starts to bite it first.
>>
>>34940703
>forgets about the Blackhawk
>forgets about the M77
>forgets about the Security Six
>>
>>34911599

test
>>
>>34940877
See >>34912360 and >>34913102

It's irrelevant because they focus on the civilian market and commercial sales.

Living on nothing but government contracts is a crutch, and it crippled Colt.
>>
>>34941788
their were alright, compared to the time their were produced, but the only "real" invention he did was creating the 22. bullet
>>
>>34941857
>American firearms manufacturer J. Stevens Arms & Tool Company introduced the cartridge in 1887[4] by combining the casing of the .22 Long with the 40-grain (2.6 g) bullet of the .22 Extra Long. The round owes its origin to the Flobert BB cap of 1845 through the .22 Smith & Wesson cartridge of 1857. It is one of the few cartridges that are accepted by a large variety of rifles, as well as pistols. The .22 Long Rifle and related cartridges (.22 Short, .22 Long, and .22 Extra Long) use a heeled bullet, which means that the bullet is the same diameter as the case, and has a narrower "heel" portion that fits in the case.

Bill Ruger did a lot of clever things but the rimfire .22 caliber cartridge is older than him, even the ones we commonly still see today.
>>
>>34941903
He practically created the round though, since no one was using 22. before, and he really made the round mainstream.
>>
>>34941947
Except, you know, the large popularity of guns like the Colt Woodsman and various other handguns and rifles before.
>>
>>34928008

Ruger makes 30 rounders. They're rare, but they're out there.
>>
>>34942086
I've seen Ruger made 20rd magazines for the Mini-30, they make and sell those, but the only 30rd magazines I've seen are from ProMag.
>>
>>34940683
This. My ruger has been a little roughed up and has had 600 rounds through it. Never had a problem, albeit it is a revolver. It feels quality made and I bet will last generations if not left to rust.
>>
>>34941989
If we compare ruger sales to the other guns, we can really see who created the bullet
>>
>>34939354
Lol, its not broke though, show me a situation where those guns have failed? You say buy quality, then vouch for ruger. Which is Cletuses gun of choice because they are so cheap.
>>
>>34941763
The point has been answered in the thread, why would I reply with an answer for you knowing you obviously can't/won't fucking read it?
>>
>>34941776
>Try putting the same hot and heavy hardcasts through a Model 29 as you do a Super Redhawk, see which one starts to bite it first.

The model 29 is an older design, I was talking about the 686 and 586. Their newer ones can take hot loads without being boat anchors.
>>
Weren't those supplied to the Iraqi police or army units? Or was that the p89?
>>
>>34911857

I own S&Ws and eat at Five Guys once a week. Good analogy.
>>
>>34942372
Just google Smith & Wesson lock failure, you will find quite a few stories. Here is one http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/141238-smith-wesson-internal-lock-failure-fix.html
>>
>>34942372
Low price does not equal low quality.
>>
>>34942372
>b-but I paid more, it MUST be exclusive!
>>
>>34942372
>You say buy quality, then vouch for ruger
There's absolutely nothing higher quality about a modern Smith in terms of materials or workmanship, you deluded faggot. Yes, their frames are (soft)forgings, so what? how many times have you heard or read about a GP100 or Redhawk frame failing, versus a comparable Smith? Their internals have been MIM for like 20 fucking years now, so again where is the superior quality?

>>34942405
>The model 29 is an older design
All S&Ws are basically the same century old design, their craftsmanship and quality control has only degraded in recent years
>>
File: DSC09982.jpg (27KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC09982.jpg
27KB, 640x480px
>>34915022
The locks are under the grips on a Ruger...
>>
>>34916211
Gubbment cheese!
>>
Is the SR22 any good?
>>
>>34942483
>Their internals have been MIM for like 20 fucking years now, so again where is the superior quality?
Metal Injection Molding, like Investment Casting, can be good, as long as you know what you're doing and paying attention to quality control.

Remington is an example of a company that doesn't give a fuck about QC on MIM, which is why they frequently have problems, while Smith & Wesson actually pays a fair bit off attention to the production and QC of their MIM parts, which is why you don't anything and everything breaking if you look at it wrong.

I'd agree that their revolver designs are kind of dated though, but on the other hand, they pretty much just keep doing them because of the nostalgia market. I mean how much bank are they making on M&P pistols and rifles alone?
They could develop a radically new revolver, but then it has little nostalgia appeal, and they've gotta compete with Ruger
>>
>>34942490
see
>>34934079
>>34933859
>>
>>34915808
http://shopruger.com/Mini-14-10-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90339/

Here you go anon
>>
>>34942447
No, but fuckhuge frames from investment casting does.

>>34942483

>There's absolutely nothing higher quality about a modern Smith in terms of materials or workmanship, you deluded faggot.

Yes there is nobgobbler Forged>Cast.

>All S&Ws are basically the same century old design, their craftsmanship and quality control has only degraded in recent years

Thats not true, the newer guns use newer frames.

>>34942435
Yet, this>>34942490
>>34931439
isn't a problem to you?
>>
>>34943868
see
>>34934079
>>34933859
>>
>>34943868
>Yes there is nobgobbler Forged>Cast
Wow, you sure are committed to that idea.
>>
>>34943990
Forged allows something to be stronger with less material used. meaning that something of equal weight will be stronger if its forged. So yes committing to superior manufacturing processes is something that is good to make it simple for your whitetrash brain.
>>
>>34944069
You seem to labor under the apprehension that Smith & Wesson's forgings are all flawless.

Forgings can be mediocre or even poor if not done correctly, it's not magic.
>>
>>34944118
>You seem to labor under the apprehension that Smith & Wesson's forgings are all flawless.

Whats wrong with them? Are you trying to invoke the old "people can make mistakes" argument like that also doesn't apply to Ruger?

>Forgings can be mediocre or even poor if not done correctly, it's not magic.

Ok, prove that S&W has shitty forgings.
>>
>>34944149
>>34944118
>>34944069
>>34943990

Casting is literally fine. Stop being autistic.
>>
File: XsCWuun.jpg (150KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
XsCWuun.jpg
150KB, 800x600px
>>34944149
>>
>>34944201
Implying handloads won't blow up Rugers either.

>>34944169
Never said it was bad, but a forged gun will be just as strong while being lighter and slimmer.
>>
>>34944309
>Implying handloads won't blow up Rugers either.
Far less likely.
>>
>>34912101
Sig and glock got a military contract and they are shit
>>
>>34944547
>Glock is shit
>>
>>34944530
Except that is false.
>>
Is the 10/22 a good rifle or is it just a popular meme?
>>
>>34944149
>Whats wrong with them?
They aren't as hard as they could be, to cut costs. That is how what is basically a K-framish S&W like the Manurhin MR73 can achieve such legendary durability. It is almost entirely due to the steel they use.
>Ok, prove S&W has shitty forgings.
Sure, right after you prove Ruger frames are less durable than S&W's due to being investment cast.
>>34944309
>Implying handloads won't blow up Rugers either.
Any gun can be blown up. Generally it will take more effort to blow up a Ruger than it will a S&W. They're simply a stronger, more modern design.
>Never said it was bad, but a forged gun will be just as strong while being lighter and slimmer.
Possibly, ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL. But all else isn't equal in this case. How is this so difficult to understand? How is this still being debated in 2017?
>>
>>34926301
Are you kidding? Fuck huge is the only way to go. I'd like to see one in 45-110
>>
>>34911599
>MK.IV RECALL
>>
>>34945318
Ruger is just more uprfront about issues with their guns than most, not a negative in my book
>>
>>34944762
So when handloading guides say hot and heavy loads particularly suited for Rugers aren't cleared for a 629, they're just bullshitting?
>>
>>34944975
>They aren't as hard as they could be, to cut costs.

Proof?

>Sure, right after you prove Ruger frames are less durable than S&W's due to being investment cast.

Learn how to read, I never questioned the durability of Ruger. I said that their cost cutting makes them heavier for the same strength. That is a downside.

>Any gun can be blown up.

Thats my point.

>Possibly, ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL. But all else isn't equal in this case. How is this so difficult to understand? How is this still being debated in 2017?

It is equal in strength while also being lighter. This is if we are talking about their newer frames though.
>>
>>34945350
I am sorry, were we comparing revolvers people actually buy or not?
>>
>>34945318
>hey, guys, there's a problem, but we'll fix it for you for free if you send it back to us, really sorry
This is a bad thing? Many companies would go to desperate lengths to hide and deny critical problems, or tell customers to go fuck themselves (looking at Glock).

Like, Remington would seldom do this, they knew for decades that some models of the 700 could *potentially fire* if you toggled the safety, but they didn't tell anyone until some hick negligently shot her son and started a huge lawsuit against them.
>>
>>34945367
People don't buy 629s and Super Redhawks?
>>
>>34945385
People buy them, but lets not pretend they are as popular as 686s or GP100s.
>>
>>34945408
Why the fuck are we talking about GP100s (not especially strong by Ruger standards), or even .357 Magnum, when, by bringing up powerful handloading in relation to the 629 and comparing it to a Super Redhawk, we're obviously talking .44 Magnum?
>>
>>34945358
>It is equal in strength while also being lighter
>It is equal in strength
Proof?
>>
File: IMG_0363.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0363.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>34911599
Checked..
>got p95, fair deal
>literally worst pistol ever
>grind feed ramp
>literally worst pistol ever
>get macg mags
>pistol is work horse
pic is second ruger, no issues.
Ruger is hit or miss on part with cai..
>>
>>34945367
>>34945385
>>34945408
>>34945450
The 686 and GP100 are just scaled down versions of the 629 and Super Redhawk, so...
>>
>>34945730
That's irrelevant.
>>
>>34945450
Because those are guns people actually buy. People want to be able to shoot .357 magnum without thinking about it. Very,very few people besides the occasional internet autist care about shooting handloaded hardcast wad cutters.
>>
>>34945974
By that logic why the fuck are we even talking revolvers when what most people buy is AR and Glock clones?
>>
>>34946116
There are a lot of people who buy revolvers, they are usually Jframes, LCRs followed by the Medium frame models for plinking. Yes, everyone has black plastic guns now, but that doesn't mean many of those same people have some of the more popular revolvers.
>>
>>34941857

>Created the .22
>Founded in 1949

You guys aren't even trying, christ.
>>
File: wiggum no gif.gif (389KB, 159x124px) Image search: [Google]
wiggum no gif.gif
389KB, 159x124px
i dont even this thred anymore.
>>
>>34946576
Wanna talk aftermarket stocks for Minis?
>>
>>34946962
This made me laugh harder than it should've.
Thread posts: 243
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.