[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Designing a modern air combat tabletop game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 15

File: a-6_2.jpg (63KB, 799x595px) Image search: [Google]
a-6_2.jpg
63KB, 799x595px
Greetings /k/, /tg/ game designer here. I've been working on a modern air combat game starting with Vietnam era and eventually covering up until 2000. Aiming at a balance between simplicity and realism (and of course, fun). I'm looking to provide a realistic air environment, with ground assets like SAMs and AAA and ground-based radars interacting with aircraft, aircraft arriving and disengaging depending on their fuel and a pre-scheduled flight plan, and the usual 'move my planes around the table and blow shit up' we expect from a tabletop air combat game.

I'm going to post some of the aircraft lists for the Vietnam war and the 2 Arab Israeli Wars I've completed (still have Lebanon 1982 to do), I'd love to hear what you guys think on how the aircraft compare to each other and if I've missed any or added ones that were never used. Trying to aim for only aircraft that saw combat (or at least service in a combat zone)

>What does all this shit mean?
Here's what headings mean in the aircraft lists:
Pts - the points value. players write up aircraft rosters and purchase a pilot for each aircraft before the game, agreeing on a points limit between 150 and 500 points.
Speed Bonus - bonus move for faster aircraft, this is combined with the aircraft's current speed to give a move across the table
Turn Rate - how far an aircraft can turn before losing speed (turning around a circular protractor). higher indicates better maneuverability
Contact Size - size of radar contact. larger contacts must be deployed further away from enemy radars
Rng - combat range of an aircraft. real life range in nmi / 100 and rounded to closest (minimum 4)
Rdr - Range of the aircraft's radar - (√real life range in nmi x 10)
Ceil - maximum service ceiling in 10,000s of ft (rounded)
HPts - number of hardpoints (often simplified or ignored if aircraft can only take bombs)
>>
go buy janes usaf or janes fighter anthology
>JANES IAF
>>
File: US early Vietnam.png (616KB, 754x1071px) Image search: [Google]
US early Vietnam.png
616KB, 754x1071px
U.S. - early Vietnam war

>Ordnance lists
Type - AA: Air-to-Air missile, ATGW: Air-to-Ground weapon (could be guided missile, or GBU), UBG: un-guided bombs
Aspect - I'm sure you all know what this means
Range - Is the range you can fire it, most missiles have a minimum. Guns are around 8" range for comparison
Tracking Rate - how many degrees a missile can pivot on the spot to track a target aircraft - this is largely abstracted and not based on real performance (although more maneuverable missiles from the 80s + will get tracking rates of 90 or more)
Guidance - this should make sense to you here in /k/. Different guidance methods require different things to track a target. Rear aspect IR can only be fired from behind and doesn't need a radar lock, while SARH requires a radar lock and can be fired from any aspect.
Damage - Bonus to damage rolls against aircraft (usually roll 1 six sided dice for each missile - 1,2 = nothing, 3=damaged, 4=pilot wounded, 5=critical damage, 6=destroyed. So a missile with a +4 to damage is likely going to annihilate anything it hits.
Notes - 'Successful launch' indicates the shoddyness of Vietnam-era missiles. A lot of things can go wrong and essentially you have a 1/3 chance of a missile actually coming off the rail, igniting, and tracking the target. Better pilot training impacts this roll.

One thing to note is the ranges of the missiles don't exactly match the range of the radars - the radar range given is that to detect a small object like a fighter. Medium sized contacts like a larger ground attack aircraft (anything over 10,000kg empty weight) treat radars as 1.5 times their range, while large radar contacts (15,000kg+ empty weight) treat all radars as double range. Its also important that missiles 'feel right' on the tabletop and that aircraft can try to evade them in-flight. Having to be like 6" away to fire missiles wouldn't be as fun, and fun is important.
>>
File: US mid Vietnam.png (559KB, 755x927px) Image search: [Google]
US mid Vietnam.png
559KB, 755x927px
>>34898844
U.S. - mid Vietnam war

>>34898786
would this cover radar ranges and things like turn rates? Most of the stats are fairly easy to find, but some things like specific ranges of radars can be harder to find.
>>
File: US late Vietnam.png (398KB, 748x733px) Image search: [Google]
US late Vietnam.png
398KB, 748x733px
U.S. - late Vietnam War

I should note that players can always take aircraft from a previous period. So a U.S. player in a Late Vietnam war game could still take all the aircraft from Early and Mid Vietnam (like B-52s or E-2s from early war)
>>
File: VPAF early Vietnam.png (260KB, 746x532px) Image search: [Google]
VPAF early Vietnam.png
260KB, 746x532px
Vietnam People's Air Force (VPAF) - Early Vietnam War
>>
File: VPAF mid Vietnam.png (347KB, 750x653px) Image search: [Google]
VPAF mid Vietnam.png
347KB, 750x653px
VPAF mid Vietnam War

The VPAF lists include ground assets as the US is generally the attacker in the air in this conflict, the defender is the one who gets things like AAA, SAM sites, etc.
>>
I don't have any information to provide other than I'm looking forward your game. I have been searching for an aerial combat wargame. Those are not common.
Also, checked.
>>
File: VPAF late Vietnam.png (453KB, 756x845px) Image search: [Google]
VPAF late Vietnam.png
453KB, 756x845px
I should note that the pilot costs are universal for all sides and don't change throughout the conflicts. This helps with balance and lets players build the kind of list they want - they could focus on a few veterans, or spam average and poor quality pilots.
>>
File: Cover.png (3MB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.png
3MB, 2480x3508px
>>34898877
There are a few great air combat games out there, Check your Six Jet Age, Table Air Combat, Phantoms, as well as more insane old school ones like GDW's air superiority.

The name of this game is Missile Threat, so you can keep an eye out for it if you like
>>
File: Vietnam.png (541KB, 680x932px) Image search: [Google]
Vietnam.png
541KB, 680x932px
Here's the blurb on Vietnam, with the table for failed missile launches. I felt reflecting the poor performance of air-to-air missiles in this era was important, as they were far from guaranteed kill weapons. Interestingly the VPAF almost never describe their Atoll missiles failing, but then they did almost always attack from behind and at close range, and usually without the target knowing what was going on...
>>
File: Arab-Israeli.png (551KB, 677x881px) Image search: [Google]
Arab-Israeli.png
551KB, 677x881px
Ok we're on to Arab-Israeli wars. Similar time frame to Vietnam and so a few of the same problems with missiles. Once we get to 1982 most of the problems have been solved though, and AIM-7F and AIM-9L were performing excellently.
>>
File: Israeli 6-day.png (296KB, 751x569px) Image search: [Google]
Israeli 6-day.png
296KB, 751x569px
Israeli Air Force - 6-day War

>Them training magisters equipped for ground attack
>>
File: Arabs 6-day.png (398KB, 749x764px) Image search: [Google]
Arabs 6-day.png
398KB, 749x764px
Arab Air Forces - 6-Day War

I decided to combined Egypt, Jordan, Syria etc. into one "Arab" force, otherwise there would be a bunch of lists with a lot of overlap. Players generally know what they're doing and will know they should only take Hawker Hunters if they want to do a Jordanian air force for example
>>
File: Israeli Yom Kippur.png (369KB, 750x633px) Image search: [Google]
Israeli Yom Kippur.png
369KB, 750x633px
Israeli Air Force - Yom Kippur War

Now with some U.S. aircraft like the A-4 and F-4
>>
File: Arabs Yom Kippur.png (489KB, 747x885px) Image search: [Google]
Arabs Yom Kippur.png
489KB, 747x885px
Arab Air Forces - Yom Kippur War

Including lots of nasty low altitude SAMs like the SA-3 and SA-6.
Usually being at low altitude protects aircraft from radar locks completely, but not in this conflict! The Israelis learned the hard way, but the lessons they learned allowed them to perform flawlessly in the 1982 Lebanon War.

This is the last of the stats I've done so far, I'm currently almost finished the research for the 1982 Lebanon War - although it was a rape-age, I felt it was important to include in this game as it was a major air engagement. Tabletop games are often far more balanced (or completely fictional but based on real-life units) allowing players to have fun and not always reach the same conclusion as the real conflict - otherwise no one would ever want to play as the Syrians in the Lebanon war. I still need to playtest that period to see if its actually possible to win (or even score a kill) as the Syrians - the Israelis will be packing F-15s and F-16s as well as full AWACS, so difficult to get in range and attack before being blown to shit by long range AA Missiles from the "Flying SAM sites" (Israeli nickname for F-15)
>>
File: 1 out of 8 aint bad.jpg (409KB, 1546x1159px) Image search: [Google]
1 out of 8 aint bad.jpg
409KB, 1546x1159px
A photo from one of our playtests. F-4s fire a dick ton of missiles at a couple of MiG-17 - which just shot down 2 F-105s with their cannons.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.