[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"premium" ammo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: ctf.jpg (29KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ctf.jpg
29KB, 600x600px
I've used fancy Nosler hunting ammo which costs $2 a shot, and I've used cheap Hornady and Winchester ammo which cost half that, and even from a benchrest, there's very little difference in accuracy. Does it really matter if one brand shoots a group half an inch bigger than the other? The deer are not going to know the difference, so why would you pay more? They're all manufactured on the same kind of machines anyway. The less you spend per round, the more rounds you can afford to shoot.
>>
Depends entirely. Some people think that the smaller benefit outweighs the extra cost. I see it as if you can easily, why not.
>>
>>34897157
What benefit does expensive ammo have? They both go bang when you pull the trigger, and they both kill animals out to any range you can see them.
>>
>>34897196
Some bullets will have better expansion. Basic bitch soft points are probably fine for deer at most ranges, but I get peace of mind for a little extra cost for bigger game.
>>
>>34897196
I knew my friend's dad used to go on some Safari hunts with his custom R700. He used to buy these $5 a round .300 Win-Mags for the specific purpose of making sure that whatever he hit, if it wasn't dead, it'd hurt and stagger. He recalled stories of people with soft points and cheaper hollow points would often get charged if they didn't get the killshot. So, in the case of going on a $20k hunting trip for larger game, ammo cost is the last thing you give a fuck about.

Hunting deer on season in the states? Yeah, even some Winchester Whitebox could hold over.
>>
>>34897318
Lead is lead no matter how much you pay for it. The only difference is in how much antimony is used to harden it. At rifle velocities, soft lead has no problems expanding. Even if you used FMJ, shot placement is enough to kill deer.
>>34897363
Safari hunters usually use big bore rifles anyway. If you're using a 458 magnum, you can just use solids and not have to worry about expansion.
>>
>>34897405
if you are paying more then 5 dollars a round and buying less then 50 rounds you might as well get the most gucci rounds you can
>>
>hunt somewhere wide open out west
>that's a really nice looking buck 500 yards away

Do you want the gucci ammo that shoots tighter or budget whitetail loads?

I agree most of the time it's unnecessary when hunting where shots rarely exceed 100 yards.
>>
>>34898166
>ravaged by coyotes and vultures before you get halfway there
I guess that's what the cheap ammo is for.
>>
>>34897405
Yes the lead will remain the same in bullets, but the jacket can be made of different materials, most hunting ammunition uses a copper jacket, but some steel cased soft points use a bi-metal jacket made of soft steel that does not allow expansion as consistently.
And just like handgun hollow points, rifle bullets can vary in their performance. Examples are expansion and penetration.
>>
>>34897363
Your logic is sound, but 300 Win Mag is a really small cartridge on safari.
>>
>>34897405
Lead is lead except for (if you really use noslers) you'd understand the value of things like ballistic tips over soft or hollow point rounds on accuracy and impact.

But it's a bait thread so...
>>
>>34900247
Most jackets on all but the cheapest ammo is a mixture of copper and zinc. It's called gilding metal.
>>34898166
Very few people take shots that far out. Those who do are probably using handloads anyway.
>>34901392
Ballistic tips are a gimmick. I can get MOA accuracy or better with soft points.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.