[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So why do people use any thing other than Boiled Linseed Oil

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: linseedoil-penetration.jpg (101KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
linseedoil-penetration.jpg
101KB, 900x675px
So why do people use any thing other than Boiled Linseed Oil (or plain Linseed Oil) for stock finishes?
It not only protects the exterior of the wood but penetrates deep inside, see picture.
>>
because it doesnt protect the exterior of the wood is why
>>
File: 1477799937096.png (121KB, 680x497px) Image search: [Google]
1477799937096.png
121KB, 680x497px
>>34895066
>penetration deep inside
>dubs
>>
>>34895088
but it does.
>>
>>34895066
Those people have never owned a cricket bat.
>>
>>34895176
It doesn't. It protects the wood from rotting and drying out. It does nothing to prevent from dings or scratches like a varnish would.
>>
>>34895176
No, it doesnt. Something like Helmsman or Tru oil, or chem-pak will put a hard outter shell of finish around the wood. BLO and Danish oil doesn't have the same effect. Danish oil is much nicer than BLO in my opinion.
>>
>>34895088
>>34895263
>>34895320
You use more than one coat, faggots.
>>
>>34895783
You're dumb as fuck. I build custom rifle stocks. Danish and BLO does not leave a shell. It makes the wood soft and easily scratchable. It's a perfectly fine way to finish a stock, but it doesn't protect like a varnish.
>>
>>34895783
>more than one coat.
you really are an idiot aren't you?
>>
>>34895927
What do you typically use to finish stocks?
>>
>>34895320
You weren't aware that TruOil is just BLO with faster polymerizing agents in it?

Holy hell, you are the dumbest "custom stock maker" in existence.

>>34895927
> BLO does not leave a shell. It makes the wood soft and easily scratchable.
It is clear that you do not have a CLUE how to do an oil finish. You probably spray your shit with Poly.

bubba/0 you have been weighed measured and found wanting.
>>
>>34895066
teak oil is much better, it is more waterproof and it does not go rancid
>>
>>34895066
>penetrates deep inside

Hhhhnnnnngggggggg
>>
>>34895320
Helmsman and Tru oil ARE BLO based you fucking retard, they just have rapid polymerizing agents in them so your retarded ass can haphazardly slap one coat on and think he's done a good job because: "THAT THAR SHINE!".
>>
Well one reason they moved away from linseed oil is the tendency for handguards on full auto guns to catch fire.
Tung oil has a higher flashpoint.
>>
Linseed doesn't give the gun the high gloss finish I want on my furniture.
>>
>not using MCT oil and organic butter to finish your stock
>>
Or how about you all go watch Larry Potterfields gunsmithing videos, where he shows many different ways to finish a gun stock.
That way you can all learn something and make informed decisions on this.
>>
>>34899426
And that's the way it is.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.