[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

22lr vs. Moose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

File: 95054i_ts.jpg (64KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
95054i_ts.jpg
64KB, 1155x1155px
Sup /k/unts, /out/ist here.

Is it possible to put down a moose with hollow point 22lr?

>Remington Nylon 66 semi-automatic rifle with 400 rounds of .22LR hollowpoint ammunition
Would hollow-point lr even penetrate the skull?
Word is this faggot did it, but he was a gigantic faggot and all we have to show for it are his notes:

>>>/out/1080374
>>
>>34890880
I mean, shoot the ear canal, maybe the eye.
>>
>>34890899
Maybe a lucky chest shot that hit the heart?
>>
Bumpu.
>>
For even a whisper of a chance, you'd have to be close. Like really close. And I'm not sure I want to be a farts distance from a really pissed off moose...armed with only a .22
>>
>>34890880
>Remington Nylon 66 semi-automatic rifle with 400 rounds of .22LR hollowpoint ammunition.
Well I mean with 400 rounds of HP .22LR you'd be able to put down any woodland creature.
>>
>>34890880
pretty sure mccandless killed his moose on his alaska death journey with a 22. i mean it's possible, just not ideal. if you pump 10 rounds of 22lr into a bull moose without downing it, you're probably gonna get fucked to death by it. and the likelyhood that a round will pierce it's skull is slim.
>>
>>34890880
If you shoot it in the skull, the .22 will bounce around inside and scramble its brains.
>>
>>34891308
this
>>
I remember reading or seeing somewhere something about alaskan natives driving a moose into water, then pulling right next to it in a canoe and shooting it in the ear with a .22. Otherwise it's both dangerous and unethical. Alternatly, tie a big rock over a moose trail and when the moose passes underneath, shoot the rope with the rifle :^)
>>
You need to shoot right behind the ear, so it follows the war canal into the brain. With a decent 22 rifle, you should be able to hit the spot reliably out to about 20 yards. I wouldn't do it unless you are literally starving to death.
>>
>>34890880
Yes but its less than ideal, people have even managed to kill bears with lucky shots from a .22. I don't imagine killing a moose with a .22 could be anything other than a lucky shot that kills it ASAP unless you snuck up on one and magdumped before it could run.
>>
>>34891278
Oh god, thanks for reminding me about that moron. Fucker deserved to die, i distinctly remember getting detention in the 9th grade for saying that to the teacher.
>>
>>34891308
Came here for this
>>
>>34891278
>it's
You fucking idiot
>>
>>34890880
he fucking magdumped and it wasnt a bull moose 22 still makes shit bleed....

Used to own a nylon 66, I liked the way it looked but alas the firing pin shattered even though I only suffered a few malfunctions.
>>
>>34891722
are you sure
>>
I think I'd try it if I was armed with a drillings with a .22LR, then two big fuckoff rounds like 9.3x74 or something.
>>
>>34890880
anything is possible when you're a faggot
>>
>>34890880
Yes. Somebody took an elephant with a .22 once just to prove it was possible.

Shot placement is everything.
>>
>>34892146
Not him but:
>the likelyhood that a round will pierce it's skull is slim
>the likelyhood that a round will pierce it is skull is slim
The apostrophe is appropriate to show ownership in some contexts (as in: the moose's skull) but not in this case.
>Dave's boat tipped over on its side
>>
>>34890880
There was that one dude famous for hitchhiking his way to Alaska and he killed one with a .22, so yeah
>>
shot placement

everyone talks about 22lr like its a bb gun. HV 22lr will penetrate 1/2 pine at 500 yards
>>
>>34893626
pics or it didnt happen
>>
>>34893876
Happened before pics were really a thing in British colonial africa IIRC.

Multiple big game writers have written about it over the years(capstick, taylor, kieth IIRC) . The skin is thin at the back of the knee and a rather large blood vessel lays just under the surface. Bit of an anatomical vulnerability.
>>
>>34893639
>H-He didnt use the right grammar

Fuck off back to plebbit you fucking asshole
>>
>>34893967
So would it be a kosher kill if the rabbi blessed the elephant?
>>
>>34896498
>getting this buttblasted about being illiterate
Fuck off back to elementary school you little bitch
>>
>>34893832
That's the key. Need hot ammo like CCI velocitor.
>>
>>34896546
I could have sworn kosher had to do with how they prepared the meat.
>>
>>34898467
Kosher covers what kind of animal can be eaten, how it is slaughtered, and how the meat is handled and prepared. One key is the animal must be bled, blood is not allowed in the meat.
Elephant is probably not kosher as it does not chew cud or have cloven hofs.
>>
>>34898528
Not how, but by whom also. You need a registered Jewish butcher, and for preparing you need a kashered kitchen and kitchenware. Also, dairy can be eaten, but only 6-8 hours before or after eating meat. Fish are allowed if they have gills. Birds are only allowed if they're non predatory and are locally raised (I'm not sure if it has to be Jewished owned)

And no, I'm not Jewish, one of my finals for highschool was for culinary arts, and I did it on Kosher food.
>>
>>34890880
A .22 lr can go thrue the moos skull a hunter i sweden have try. So shoot on.
>>
>>34890909
Very doubtful
>>
>>34899200
Joo here.
There are a few rules to kosher butchering, it's got to be done in one cut of the throat, with kosher tools (tools that have not touched non-kosher food, or both milk and meat).
The rules for edible animals are as follows:
Land animals: cloven hooves and rumination.
Water: fins and scales. Not gills.
Air: anything not on the forbidden list in the bible. This generally comes out to be non carnivorus avians.
None of the animals have to be Jewish owned, but they do need to be butchered by a Jew.
If the animal was terminally ill to the point it would have died within roughly a year anyway, it's not kosher.
With regards to milk and meat, it depends on what specific stream you belong to, for most orthodox streams it's either 3 or 6 hours, some permit much less going from milk to meat.
>inb4 nice blog post
>>
>>34891510
Some of the shit he did before that was pretty impressive. He was in over his head in Alaska but iirc he survived pretty well somewhere further south for a long time with like no supplies.
>>
Sure, you MIGHT be able to if you mag dump 50+ rounds into it.

But that's just mean. Pony up and but a real gun.
>>
Yes, you can. Honestly though non-hollowpoint are your best bet (though HP 22lr really don't open up) because penetration is what you need.

That being said, anything can be killed with a 22lr. Put enough holes in its side / lungs and it'll drown in blood. On top of that a moose skull isn't any thicker than a cows skull and we've put plenty of cows down with a 22lr to the head. It goes right through the bone.
>>
>>34891338
>follows the war canal
OP why are you fucking with moose they are obviously bio-engineered destructive devices.
>>
File: warcanal.png (835KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
warcanal.png
835KB, 960x1280px
>>34891338
German MG team engages enemy moose in Sasketchewan war canal, 1942
>>
>>34891218
What do you mean you'd have to be close? "Close" has very little to do with it unless you have terrible aim and need a point blank shot to drop a .22lr into a silver-dollar sized target. (In which case, yeah, go with a .50BMG so that if you are aiming for the eye and hit the knee, it's still a massive bleedout wound, I suppose?)

There's very little drop in energy between 0-50 yards with 22lr. Even at 100 yards, a 40 grain Golden Bullet goes from about 140 fpe to 100 fpe. More importantly, a tiny round at supersonic velocity does penetrate well. It's like being stabbed with an icepick. A long one.

This isn't a question of distance. .22LR is clearly not a suitable or humane round for the job of taking out even a smaller whitetail, much less a moose. If I were starving and needed to drop a moose and only had .22LR? Yeah, I suppose I'd aim for a head (eye/ear) shot at around 50 yards and try for a quick follow up, or same with a couple of heart/lung shots and be ready for a lot of tracking.

.22lr will pierce a moose's skull just fine. It will also glance off if the angle isn't a good one, it isn't a round with a lot of mass. But I'm hoping this is all hypothetical and if you had a need to shoot a moose you'd make some better choices.
>>
>>34899261
I enjoy learning things.

Thanks, jew.
>>
>>34899200
>>34899261
If some moose tried to tell me I had to eat like this, I'd kill it with a .22 lr
>>
>>34890880
>Word is

awhile back this is how indians killed moose

they snuck up close & put the round into the ear or eye so it would penetrate to the brain

then ran like hell and waited for the thing to die
>>
>>34890880
Yes, it's likely possible. Theoretically, killing a moose with a fork is possible, but much like killing a moose with a .22lr, you'd best have a damned good fucking reason for trying something so extremely devoid of intelligence.

If you fuck up, you're going to have a moose running around with a bullet in it for who knows how fucking long, or you're going to be killed by an angry moose. It would require a good deal of luck for things not to go wrong, and you'd have to have a steady hand and a good eye.

Why the fuck would anyone try to kill a moose with a .22lr? Reminds me of that dumb cocksucker who killed a deer with a Glock17 "to prove that it could be done" and had to shoot it 6 times over the space of like 30 seconds.
>>
>>34896498
You're the one who asked you dumbfuck.
>>
>>34891510
Oh wow, impressive. You managed to read through the book.
>>
>>34891334
That's some Wiley Coyote and the Roadrunner shit there
>>
>>34891510
Trip faggot, This isn't Reddit
>>
>>34890880
Possible like 1/800 chance to kill. But inhumane. Field and game would be all over you if you did this.
>>
It's not impossible.

But it is stupid.

Like 'is it possible to dig a basement for my house using a taco bell spork?"
>>
The world's largest grizzly bear kill was with a .22.
>>
>>34891334
Saw this on the show "life below zero" except it was caribou not moose.

At ~10 yards a .22 LRN will definitely penetrate the skull, I'd bet money on that.
>>
Everything is possible if you are very lucky
>>
File: IMG_0958.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0958.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>34903037
Also here are some .22 LR bullets I recovered just the other day. Hope these pics work out.
>>
File: IMG_0956.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0956.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>34903123
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>34903134
As you can see they expand quite a bit, some are near 1/2 inch wide, however I'm not sure of the reliability to remain intact after Moose skull contact.
>>
File: Domino cheers.jpg (82KB, 761x960px) Image search: [Google]
Domino cheers.jpg
82KB, 761x960px
>>34903052
Unless you fight X-man because that motherfucker is plot armor incarnate.
>Oops sorry I negated your powers because I'm pissed and unconsciously bending reality itself
>*Kills Mr. Sinister in 1 fucking panel*
>>
File: $$Ahego33.png (42KB, 271x288px) Image search: [Google]
$$Ahego33.png
42KB, 271x288px
>>34900351
>>34902226
Oh yeah, talk dirty to me. I love it.
>>
File: 20170712_004901.jpg (3MB, 2649x1813px) Image search: [Google]
20170712_004901.jpg
3MB, 2649x1813px
>>34890880
Please dont try to kill a moose with a .22lr. Its pretty inhumane and there's a small chance the moose will kill you otherwise.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.