[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into throwing knives, but idk where to start as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_1643.jpg (148KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1643.jpg
148KB, 1024x768px
I want to get into throwing knives, but idk where to start as far as buying some. I don't want some cheap crap, which the market seems to be just flooded with. And I don't want to pay too much. Do I need to just suck it up and shell out the money? Should a good throwing knife cost as much as a good regular fixed blade? What about cold steel brand? They seem like a good Compromise between quality and price.
>>
>>34890709
When it comes to throwing knives your best bet will be to look to the superior craftsmanship of the East. Now you will be asking yourself, Shuriken or Kunai? Shuriken are among some of the most famous equipment of ninjas. Of the several kinds of shuriken, maybe the most typical kind is the flat plate type. The shape of it is like an asteroid with four arms. But actually, there are no more than 40 to 50 types of shurikens. Ninjas utilize those depending on the situation. Basically, shuriken can be divided into two types. They are " The Plate Type " and "The Stick Type ". There is only one peculiarity which every shuriken shares and that is that they are so charred. This is because silk is covered onto a heated shuriken in order to cake the charcoal on the surface of a shuriken. This makes the shuriken less noticeable and prevents it from rusting. Also, the surface of a shuriken gets sandy and easier to paint poison on. Further to this, it becomes easier to throw it because of the gritty face and better grip.
>>
>>34890709
why not get a gun which is basically throwing a tiny knife :DDDDD
>>
>>34890772
Basically for Ninjas, there is no determinate distinction between tools and weapons. Kunai is the most famous weapon of Ninjas second only to Shuriken (手裏剣) . Kunai is made of steel and the shape is like a wedge. One end is a blade, across the grip, another side is a circle with a round hole. The length of Kunai is 100~480mm , the weight is 100~500g. Kunai can not be found anywhere other than in ninja schools. The key point is that it can be said that Kunai is a really original item for ninjas.
First of all, we are going to look at how kunai can be used as tools. To begin with, Kunai is an implement used for breaking a fence or a castle wall. Ninjas make holes on a wall with a Kunai, and they climb the wall by putting their feet into the holes. Sometimes a Kunai itself can be a metal wedge. On other occasions, ninjas can break the wall itself with a Kunai as long as it is not too thick. Ninjas have ways of using kunai to reach high places. For a start, ninjas pass a rope into the hole on the end of a Kunai and tie the rope tightly. Next, Ninjas throw the Kunai to a high place like a tree branch and hook or coil the Kunai on it so ninjas can climb to the high place along the rope. Kunai can also be used like a shovel. Ninjas can make a hole in the ground with a Kunai. Of course, a Kunai can be used as a knife because it has a sharp edge. Lastly, ninjas use kunai as a flint to start fires too, in those days there neither lighters or matches existed.
>>
>>34890779
maybe he/she just wants to do this for fun and not hurr durr take out dat sentry wid muh throwin knifes
>>
File: IMG_0876.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0876.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>34890709
Throwing knives are not my forte... but every time I see the topic come up, I see similar trends... you want three things: heavy, durable, and cheap.

Cold Steel throwing knives fit all those catigories. I do not own any my self, but I have plenty of Cold Steels, cheap and expensive, and I can say they are good value.
>>
>>34890772
>>34890787
weeb shit
>>34890779
gun is better

never change /k/

>>34890872
>>34891110
yall clearly dony belong
>>
File: jHL1dOO.jpg (37KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
jHL1dOO.jpg
37KB, 500x364px
http://www.coldsteel.com/products/throwing-knives/heavy-sure-strike-3-pack.html
>>
File: IMG_20170817_151058248.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170817_151058248.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>34890772
>>34890787

If you want to get into throwing and somebody starts talking about kunai and shuriken (bo-shuriken excluded) then you need to walk away. They have little to no experience in the sport of throwing, or its combat uses. They just like to have mall ninja fun. Real throwing knives are usually at least a foot long and it is recommended to weigh at least one Oz per inch of length or more. A handle heavy knife will benefit a no spin style while blade heavy is generally preferred for half spin or rotational styles. Cold steel makes the best price/quality ratio products. Start with something simple like the sure sport or sure balance. (Seen in picture with opinel 8 for scale.)

Each knife is usually 10-20 dollars for low-end legit throwers. If you find something cheaper you have found the deal of the century, or you are most likely buying a piece of junk that will break after a day or two.
You-tube has a growing knife community that is putting out videos every day.

Epic blade time
Xolette
Adam cheladin
Combat knife thrower

All these are very good resources if you want to get into throwing.
>>
>>34890709
Never throw your last knife
>>
>>34890709
The 6 knives on the left appear to be regular duct knives you can find at Home Depot
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaNPjP5YJlE
>>
>>34891182
>Telling people more helpful than you that they don't belong
Maybe you're the one that doesn't belong Anon.
>>
>>34890772
The correct answer would have been any cold steel flite variant, any gill hibben or the biggest nails at your local hardware store with the heads cut off
>>
Buy/make/find a small bucket full of knives of a similar weight size.

Decide the distance you would like to be proficient at, 10 feet is a good starting point.

Practice. Once a day practice by aiming for a torso sized target. Find the way to throw that is most efficient to you (most hits) and stick to it.

Practice more.
>>34890709

>I don't want some cheap crap

Too bad. Buy tons of cheap throwers of one type and practice practice practice.

>>34891110

>heavy, durable, and cheap

Buy these.
>>
>>34890787
You couldn't be more wrong about kunai. Kunai were basically the Japanese trowel. They were ubiquitous, so a sharpened kunai could be hidden in plain sight by rubbing some dirt on it. If they were impersonating a farmer, which they most often did, it was something that they were expected to have, and so didn't raise suspicion. You've been watching too many cartoons where people run with their arms behind their backs.
>>
File: LadyUne02.jpg (71KB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
LadyUne02.jpg
71KB, 350x233px
>>34893667
doesn't understand sarcasm
>>
>>34890772
>superior craftsmanship of the East.

Made in China.
>>
File: 1478710616462.png (157KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1478710616462.png
157KB, 500x500px
>>34896348
Sarcasm is necessarily conveying contempt you dingus.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.