[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice for a first time gun owner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 20170817_114226.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170817_114226.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Hey, guys. First time poster, long time lurker. I felt kinda embarrassed about making an entire thread about it, but here goes.

I finally managed to save up enough money to buy my first gun, a 91/30, and got around a hundred rounds to go with it. With that being said, I wanted to try and get some advice from you guys on how to improve my shooting. In the picture my groupings in the middle are from about 50-60 yards away (I used a water heater as a crude target, don't laugh at me). The ones in the center are from a crouched position with the rifle supported with my leg. A couple around the outside are from a standing position with no support. Overcoming trying to not anticipate my shots is the hardest part, and I feel like it's the biggest thing holding me back. I'm kind of sucky so far, and there's a lot I would like to learn. So, any advice or criticism would be really appreciated. Thanks.
>>
You can anticipate a shot
The whole "be surprised by it" is how you break your arm on high recoiling guns

Don't flinch
Relax
Don't hold your breath fully inhaled when you shoot
Exhale half of it then hold
>>
>>34890602
I'm not huge on recommending little girl 22lr guns for first time owners but 7.62x54r is a bit much, man
>>
>>34890602
You picked one hell of a rifle to start off with. You're probably flinching in anticipation. The only way to get over it is to shoot more and build up your shoulder. Also do strength exercises to be able to hold up control your rifle better. Arms outstretched hold your rifle parallel to the ground for a minute, rest, another minute, rest, minute, keep going until you cant do it anymore. Then add 15 sec to your next set and do this process as part of your daily routine from now on. Also pushups, pullups, forearms, and all that jazz.
>>
>>34890650

>>You can anticipate a shot

I gotcha. That makes sense. I wouldn't throw my arm up or anything, but my face would draw back a bit. The breathing advice is good. I would kinda breathe in deep, hold it really long, then shoot. I'll try to make it more natural, and get cutting the inhale in half.

>>34890678

That's pretty good. I was kinda swaying all over the place my arms got weaker way faster than I thought. So, practicing holding it will probably really help. Should I try to stop relying on stabilizing the rifle on something?

>>34890668

Yeah, I figured you'd guys would say that haha. I couldn't resist though. It's a really beautiful rifle I had a lot of fun shooting it this morning. Really interesting thinking about how old it is and the things it's been through.
>>
>>34890756
Nah, bench shooting is fun as hell too, but if you do a lot of innawoods shit then get them forearms yoked. It's a long heavy rifle. But if you want to better your accuracy then you need to work out.
>>
>>34890778

Makes sense. I do occasionally get out there, but it would be pretty cool to shoot with my grandpa and not have to stabilize it on something. He'd bust my balls for it pretty hard lol. How often should I clean my gun when shooting? I'll probably be shooting again tomorrow morning. It would probably be excessive to clean it now, shoot, then clean again. Wouldn't it?
>>
>>34890813
Any time you shoot corrosive (all milsurp) clean it immediately after. It's also a good practice to get into cleaning your rifle after every shooting session, but shit happens. Your mosins barrel has some shit in it that will take you about a year to get out, don't worry about this stuff it's just Commie ooze. Just run you brush through it thoroughly and then clean it out and you're set.
>>
get a .22lr raifu and do an https://appleseedinfo.org/ event
>>
>>34890602
That isn't bad at all for your first time.

The best advice I can give is: Go out and shoot, like a lot.

If you go shoot a pack of ammo at least once a week, you are going to see improvement in the 1st month.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.