[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dunkirk and /k/ movie thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: Dunkirk.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px)
Dunkirk.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
Finally saw this on the second to last day of it being in theaters. I was apprehensive since I kept hearing it as Anglo revisionism from /tv/ and /int/.

Was really glad I went, they pretty much got the British perspective down perfectly. What little they showed of the French showed they were the ones fighting to keep the British safe, and the only British men in combat were the RAF which is very accurate.

Got pretty fucking sad "Gibson" drowned, though. I don't feel he deserved it, saved their asses many times. He wasn't a coward in my book.
>>
Is it true word "germans" wasn't mentioned a single time?
>>
>>34891088

Not OP but wow. Never realized that. Yes, you're correct. They're always referred to as, "the enemy" and are only actually seen once in a VERY blurry 3 second frame; when

**Spoiler****
Tom Hardy is captured.
>>
>>34890575
So did they make a bunch of cowards who got their shit pushed in look heroic?

Christopher Nolan's a good director. He could probably angle cowards who got lucky that way. Hitler's first and biggest mistake not to crush them.
>>
>>34891225
>>34891088
I think when the old guy on the boat named the 109 and (iirc) heinkel 111s he might have said the word german.
>>
>>34890575

>What little they showed of the French showed they were the ones fighting to keep the British safe

At least a movie says it, without judgements about French or British valor
>>
>People forget this is a movie

>People will talk about this like they know history now

Sigh
>>
>>34891443
>>What little they showed of the French showed they were the ones fighting to keep the British safe
this is wrong, there was plenty of cowardly frogs trying to push aside and take the spots of well deserved, brave, heroic and glorious anglo soldiers
>>
>>34890575

>What little they showed of the French showed they were the ones fighting to keep the British safe, and the only British men in combat were the RAF which is very accurate.

Bullshit. Both the British and French armies fought side by side for it, which the movie showed in the opening sequence, it only gave favour to the French because they didn't really feature as heavily.

This modern myth of "France saved everyone" needs to die before it gets any further. It's completely unsubstantiated on every level, and the movie didn't support it at all. The "I'm staying for the French" was in reference to that the evacuation went so well that they had time to take more of the French who originally were to stay out of the evacuation zone for other reasons with them. For fucks sake the final British and French fighting troops left on the same bloody day. There was no "Heroic France saves the Brits in a valiant last stand".

>>34891088

Pretty much, but it was a clever move. It made the approaching enemy seem more remorseless and faceless, which befitted the atmosphere very well.
>>
File: image.jpg (122KB, 1148x629px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122KB, 1148x629px
>>34891969
>>34891476

t. anglos

we should have let the germs kilsl your grandpas at Dunkerque
>>
>>34890575

Movie sucked, do not pay for/10
>>
>>34891969
I loved how you never saw a German clearly. It made it seem so oppressive and ominous, like it was a force of nature closing in
>>
>>34891088
Pretty sure they mention the Germans, but for the most part they just call them "the enemy".
You never actually see any Germans until the end of the movie (with the exception of their aircraft)
>>
>>34891443
/fa/ uniforms
>>
>>34891245

>that feel when people still believe the "hitler stopped the panzers at dunkirk myth"

>that feel people don't know that only a small part of the german forces was in striking range

>that feel when historians pretty much repeat lies of the german OKW
>>
>>34892712
In reality, it was Von Rundstedt and Kluge who ordered the advance halted, primarily because the advancing tanks had overextended themselves, the terrain was marshy, the armor was valuable and still needed for the final assault on France, and Göring had assured Hitler that his Luftwaffe could deal with the stragglers on the beach.
>>
>>34892733

thank the murder/k/ube for anyone with remote knowledge
>>
>>34892733

its the same shit with "hitler ordered the tanks to calais because he thought the allies would land there"

in reality rommel thought the allies would land in calais and rommel was not even there when the invasion begun.
I like how the wehraboos always say "history is written by the victor" but most of the popular history of ww2 is wehraboo fanwank
>>
File: 1483236871302.jpg (731KB, 1227x849px)
1483236871302.jpg
731KB, 1227x849px
>>34892838
This

>History books are Jewish propaganda but the Ministry of Public Enlightenment is perfectly trustworthy
>>
Gotta say the sound design and score was the highlight for me. Guns sounded like guns, stukas were terrifying and the music tied it all together
>>
>>34892852

I read a good Spiegel ( German news magazine ) article from the 60s where the history of the invasion of the normandy was shown with a focus on rommel.
the sources are all reliable primary sources from the OKW, Abwehr and Division Diaries and the article is well written.

Rommel was a complete and utter idiot that should never have gotten any command above division level. Latr the whole history was rewritten to make hitler the idiot and rommel the tragic hero
>>
>>34892712
>historians repeat the lies of OKW
Well, no. Shit 'historians' repeat those lies. Actual historians don't and haven't had done for decades.
Maybe you should stop reading shit historians work.
>>
>>34892970

I don't read their work but most people do
>>
>>34892838
>Spouting the "Rommel is actually the worst general of the war" meme
>>
>>34893013

>zergrushes in north africa until he has no fuel
>gets shit pushed in
>does the same thing a second time

Tactical genius, strategic retard
>>
>>34891245
Yes. They should have stayed and fought to the death, nearly eradicating the British Expeditionary Force, rather than sensibly retreating across the channel.

Never fight a fair fight.
>>
>>34891245
Not heroic, actually.
Thing people like >>34891476 don't get is the portrayal of British soldiers WASN'T very heroic. It wasn't demonizing by any means, but there's even a line of dialogue, "All we did was survive.."
There's several scenes where the Brits are willing to kill or harm innocent people in order to escape with their lives,
in contrast the only French we see in the film are the ones guarding the British, the ones not understanding the course of the evacuation and one who saves upwards of 10 British soldiers single handedly on more than one occasion.

The only truly "heroic" Anglo is the RAF pilot. The film is largely about men surviving a horrifying scenario,
it honestly feels more horror than war at times.

>>34891443
Definitely. I find it ironic the French soldier who spends the entire film saving Brits from drowning ends up drowning himself after saving the Brits who had just tried to kill him to save themselves. I think Gibson was supposed to represent the French soldiers fighting off screen to the last breath to defend the Brits at the cost of their own lives.

>>34891969
>which the movie showed in the opening sequence
What? It showed British soldiers retreating to the beach, getting slaughtered, covered only by the French.
>>
>>34892006

>Claims there were only 2.5k~ British at Dunkirk

Well you just lost all credibility right there.
>>
>>34893351

>I think Gibson was supposed to represent the French soldiers fighting off screen to the last breath to defend the Brits at the cost of their own lives.

No, he wasn't. He was to represent the desperation of men trying to survive. Nolan was EXPLICITLY clear in interviews that Dunkirk isn't about playing countries, it was a story about the drama of the human situation. Thats why he never showed many action scenes, and why even the air combat was pitched less as man against man, and more about how far someone's willing to go to help others.

>What? It showed British soldiers retreating to the beach, getting slaughtered, covered only by the French.

It showed armed British soldiers, in combat gear, on patrol in the city in a section level, in the combat zone. Not sure how else you would interpret that. They got ambushed, because the film HAD to set up that the Germans were the ones with the initiative and dominance as an unseen force, and because the British were the primary characters (or thought to be at this point).

They used the French in that scene to set up immediately that they exist and are part of this. The entire MUH FRANCE STOOD ALONE AND SAVED BRITAIN FROM LOSING THE WAR thing was never in the movie at all. It's just over-nationalistic people hounding at it trying to twist it until it means that.

The movie showed what happened. Britain and France fought together, held the line together, and then evacuated together. As someone else stated, the final evacuation of both sides' fighting forces at the evac area was on the same day. It was a simultaneous retreat.

The entire "France only" thing only kicked up really in recent times as France gets increasingly nationalistic about this stuff.

Never forget this is the country that tries to claim Waterloo was a French victory.
>>
>>34892060
Made it feel like there was no enemy around. Just a couple of planes
>>
>>34890575
Can anyone recommend a good nonfiction book about the Fall of France?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.