[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New multitool, halp guise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

File: SOGPM1001Nnc.jpg (86KB, 1500x881px) Image search: [Google]
SOGPM1001Nnc.jpg
86KB, 1500x881px
so i've been looking into a multitool. It would be my first (and if it works as expected, only) multitool so i want it to lean on the heavy duty/have everything you could possibly need side.
My research has driven me to the SOG Powergrab (pic related) , what i like about it is the dedicated plain edge blade that opens with the knife closed, the bit screwdriver in the center, and the super cool opening action. TBBH, i dont need the pliers that much, but 1-i'm OCD as fuck and both sides opening exactly symetrically is austismgasm for me 2- it would kinda be like having a balisong to play with without having to get a balisong.
However, i heard kind of concerning stuff regarding SOG around the internet and i wanted to get your oppinion on both SOG in general and the Powergrab in specific.
Also if you think my choice is dead wrong, i'm open to other suggestions. Before finding out about the Powergrab, my idea was the Leatherman Surge (for me, it's appeal over the powergrab is still the replaceable tool heads and blades), other options also appreciated. I don't like the gerber style flick open action, though.
>>
I have the Surge and love it. It's endlessly expandable because it can take any t-shank saw blade, which means you can do basically anything with it. Go with one of them, and you won't regret it.
>>
>>34888886
Love mine too, other than i fucked up the cutters by cutting steel springs, but good thing these are replaceable.
>>
>>34888862
>Debating multitools
>Not a Leatherman brand leatherman

You father-less faggot.
>>
>>34888862
I have been considering a new multi tool. I carry a knife all the time and never have liked using one on a multitool. So I'm looking at knifeless models. There are basicly two options. Gerber 600 or leatherman rebar. Neather has a bit driver that i would prefer. So I'm think the 600. Cost much less, is black, has the weird saw blade that might be cool. Anyone know another I should consider?
>>
>>34890072
>>34888930
>>34888886
/thread
>>
ok guys, i appreciate leatherman and im sure it's great but, considering my requirements, brand elitisms aside, is it really THAT far forward from the competition?
>>
>>34892012
No, but as long as it's better than the competition, why is anything else important?

Get a Surge. I have one, and I'll have another if I lose this one. This isn't brand loyalty. I don't give two shits if something's made in the USA (not American). I just carry what works for me.
>>
Get a Surge or a Wave.
>>
>>34892061
>>34892179
right, so you bumped me back to where i was before, leatherman surge.
I have a couple of questions regarding it.
Does the opening wear off? will it get very lose?
how much can i trust the liner lock for the main blades? i heard that might be a concern?
What about the black oxide finish? if i understand correctly the steel is all stainless just the same and the finish is just an extra? correct me if i'm wrong
I do not live in burgerland, will leatherman still honor the warranty? even if i dont get it direct from them? (would like to but they wont ship outside the US, correct me if i'm wrong) how hard is it to find replacements and accessories outside burgerland? Prices? pocket clip at the very least is a must

Thanks in advance
>>
this havalon would be my choice, it uses replaceable scalpel blades. I dont need a shitty little knife on a multitool since i always have a proper knife on me anyway

I already have a leatherman and victorionox, but I want something with a bit driver, which I believe the havalon has.

SOGs look like quality, but I haven't handled one

Gerber is trash.
>with a possible exception to the overpriced MUT one
>>
>>34892525
I had no idea about havalon desu, it looks interesting! i like the carabiner feature (liked it on leatherman MUT and Signal as well) would you recommend havalon for a starter?
BTW, i agree on having a dedicated blade as well, but everything i have ATM is fixed blade, any robust folders you would recommend for EDC?
>>
>>34888886
I've carried mine for about 8 years now. When it finally dies, I'll be happy to buy another one. Anything other than a surge is a mistake imo.
>>
>>34892756
the best lethermans made where the classic ones.
You can still find them on ebay.
right size/weight to utility and nothing fancy.
>>
>>34892581
depends on what kind of work you intend to be using it for, I haven't bought the havalon yet for a couple reasons
>only recently found out about it
>looks a little light duty
>cant spare the cash right now

price and size range on a folder?
for the absolute best price/performance I'd recommend the smaller framelock crkt drifter, specifically NOT the large version, they use dif steels, the small one has 8CR14Mov that is better than AUS 8 from kershaw and cold steel.
I've used it for heavy shit like prying up 10d nails, leveraging doorframes, opening paint cans, hammering nails, baton and full chiselling with an actual hammer on wet lumber, and other shit you really shouldn't use a knife for (especially a folder) and I fully expected it to break or chip because I got it for $20.
It's never chipped, lockup is still perfect, and blade centering hasn't changed.

the only other folder i have worth mentioning is the CRKT Amicus I just got, its a fucking tank, and the design is perfect for a harder use/outdoor knife, but there's a lot of little things about it that piss me off.
>pivot pin is bullshit, doesnt lock (like if you loc-tite the threads, the barrel will free spin when you try to adjust or disassemble)
>too tight to flick open for a decent lock up
>loosen pivot for easier opening, gets you sticky 100% lock up, close knife and blade clicks on the side
>sharpening grind was done by a downie with one eye closed
>fucking aluminum backspacer sticks out like its intended to be a hammer, but its fucking aluminum

I need to grind down the show side scale (red) for lock access because its impossible with gloves
gonna stake or do a small weld on the pin (green) so it doesnt suck so much
need to get better washers because theones that come with it are thicc teflon which I'm almost certain contribute to the shitty centering.
>but i got it for 50% off from amazon so, idk ymmv. its a good knife?
>>
File: CR-5446.jpg (49KB, 800x319px)
CR-5446.jpg
49KB, 800x319px
>>34892821
forgot pic
>>
>>34892756
So, i think i'm getting a stainless surge, those bit kits in your edc pic, i didnt know they exiated, might be a deal maker for me
>>34892821
I'm not doing any physical work desu, i just want it for peace of mind, potential use if i need to fix something and potential self defence. I live in Barcelona, we just lost our jihadi virginity today and we are not allowed to carry guns (and technically not knives either, but luckily police are far cooler than politicians with these things) and i want SOMETHING.
I'll start looking into low pro body armor too (i have military grade body armor cuz sperg collector, but that obv wont cut it for edc) ik it's off topic but if you know about that pls let me know as well.
>>
>>34892949
Mikov predator with pocket clip
>>
>>34892982
Automatics are uber banned in here.
Besides, that's fucking expensive, would rather take my chances concealing my AKM bayonet under a jacket XD (would be my go to choice, not even kidding, if the heat here wasnt so unbearable)
>>
>>34893015
>autos are banned
since when? I bought a mikov and a butterfly in Lloret de mar back in 2009
check out Lamnia.com, I'm pretty sure they don't sell anything shitty

>https://www.lamnia.com/en/sc/7/knives-and-folding-knives/folding-knives?sgid=7&oby=price&odir=asc&sin=199&blademin=90&blademax=122
>>
File: IMG_20170818_001547.png (264KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170818_001547.png
264KB, 720x1280px
>>34893092

http://www.guardiacivil.es/es/servicios/armasyexplosivo/controldearmas/clasifica_armas/armas_prohibidas/index.html

"prohibited is the sale, posession, advertising, circulation or manufacturing of (...) weapons known as automatic knives"
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.