[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rate my signature piece. I'm a bladesmith. This is what I do.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_20170812_182346.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170812_182346.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
Rate my signature piece. I'm a bladesmith. This is what I do.
>>
are you an orc irl?
>>
>>34887242
Valyrian steel?
>>
> I'm a bladesmith. This is what I do.
This is a troll thread.
If not, find a new job.
If still not, take this to /diy/, so they can properly tell you how badly that is mangled and fucked up.
>>
It looks like a turd I saw floating on my toilet a while ago, except mine wasn't Grey or had an edge
>>
File: 1438213111248.jpg (89KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1438213111248.jpg
89KB, 612x612px
clean your "house" it looks like a fucking hobo squat
>>
>>34887242
looks kinda cool tbqh
>>
>>34887257
Lol. And how many have you made?
>>
>>34887256
Blued 5160
>>
rate from picture? you're not really a blade-smith are you?
>>
>>34887242
Caveman/10. Would stab my tribemate who keeps stealing the best mammoth bits with.
>>
>>34887242
Malacath is pleased with your work
>But not your filthy hovel
>>
>>34887242
>Malacath
How the fuck do you expect to put a grip/handle on that thing?
>>
"i'm a bladesmith"
good luck, OP
>>
>>34887290
You don't have to be a plumber to see when shit is fucked
>>
>>34887242
I like the look of it; however, I wouldn't carry it into the woods with me.
>>
>>34887419
I came here to post this
>>
>>34887579
Probably paracord around the grip
>>
File: IMG_2975.jpg (56KB, 500x435px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2975.jpg
56KB, 500x435px
>>34887301
>5160
Disgusting
>>
Some real criticism? Not a huge fan of the rocked pattern all over the blade. You should've in kept a real bevel on the knife, other wise I can see you having a hard time slicing with it, and the tip already isn't conducive to stabbing. It just seems really limited by design. Also it looks as though you have a hard time getting an even edge on the knife.
>>
>>34887242
Will it kill?
We need you to swing it at a bush.
>>
How thick is it?
>>
>>34887242
Nice! It looks like 50% of those cheap 5 dollar pakistani blades I used to sell at flea markets.
Congratulations OP
>>
>>34887242
Ornamental at best
>>
>>34887266
This. OP looking at that stain/dirt/plastic bag pile next to the brick is sickening. Put those jeans in the laundry and get a vacuum you fucking animal.
>>
Is this 10,000B.C.
>>
>>34887242
Bait? Please be bait.
>bladesmith
so you don't even know how to swing a hammer.
overall profile is trash, not enough definition between blade and handel, no primary bevel, anf your ground in "hammer marks" are way to close to the edge, the shouldn't even really be on the blade portion as it adds friction and more surface area durning a cut/stab.
>>
>>34887242
How much do people tend to pay for your work?
>>
>>34887242
>bladesmith
more a blademaker, as you obviously used a grinder to make the blade look like it was hammered.
>>
File: image.jpg (21KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 384x384px
>>34888372
It will kill.
>>
>>34887242
Do you just shit in the corner of a room and wipe with your panties?
>>
>>34887242
Jesus christ, vacuum your room every now and then.

Have you made any blades that actually look nice? Master the basics before going full retard.
>>
>>34888761
That show is so addictive. I could watch for hours.
>>
Wow I think OP left guys

We might have convinced him to submit applications to McDonalds
>>
>>34887242
Proportions and lines are a little off. Were you trying for a stylized tanto point, or more of a full bellied machete look? It has features of both. Pick one and stick with it. The hammered metal look isn't attractive in blades, keep that for deco pieces that you make for mass market venues. Replace the lanyard with a piece of rawhide. Put grips on- wood, bone, horn or leather.

You've made a thing, which is a good start. Now you have to practice and refine your craft.
>>
>>34887242
>I'm a bladesmith

Was it made from a single railroad spike and can it cut through a 2 inch free hanging rope in one swing after batonning through three two by fours and then the last two inches be bent to a 90 degree angle without breaking off or cracking?
>>
>>34887242
Caveman/10
>>
>>34887242
Thumbnail makes it look like a knife made outta duct tape.
>>
File: 1501958123294.jpg (14KB, 300x214px) Image search: [Google]
1501958123294.jpg
14KB, 300x214px
>>34887242
Unfortunately Anon, your blade didn't make the cut.
>>
File: Lurk.gif (2MB, 250x209px) Image search: [Google]
Lurk.gif
2MB, 250x209px
Looks super neat.
But maybe you should invest your time and work into a fucking vacuum cleaner. Jesus Christ on a stick, that's terrible.
>>
>>34888761
What show?
>>
>>34887266
>>34888504
>this is bad
goddamn anon you should have seen the house I grew up in.
>>
>>34887242
When are you going to finish it?
>>
>>34887242
If you cleaned up the handle (handle scales please) and made the edge bevel wider (using a thicker steel would help) it wouldn't look half bad.
>>
That's either a very uneven angle on the edge bevel, or a very uneven blade thickness. Looks like the second, making it much harder to fix.
>>
>>34889783
This man smiths
>>
>>34887242

Do you use a small hammer cause you wouldn't get all those craters if you used a decently big hammer
>>
It looks like a badly rusted railroad spike you just wire brushed the rust off of and the bevel is awful. Try again.
>>
File: 12rfco.jpg (79KB, 670x449px) Image search: [Google]
12rfco.jpg
79KB, 670x449px
>>34888761
>>
>>34891246
forked in fud
>>
>>34887242
Another fucking dirtbag on /k/ living in filth,
>>
>>34887242
Iz gud for grotz. Orky/5 needz more dakka.
>>
>>34887242
would actually be kinda cool if the tip profile wasnt tarded
>>
>>34887242
From the thumbnail I thought this was just a knife covered in duct tape. After looking at the full size pic I can safely say a duct tape knife would have been 100x more aesthetic than whatever you shat out there.
>>
>>34891246
forged by fire
>>
>>34887242
nice thats really pretty i love the pattern also i know a blacksmith who showed me a knife made from a wrench and i had to buy it
>>
Does anyone who knows what they're doing make a caveman looking knife?
>>
>>34887242
I actually like it, assuming that design was on purpose.
>>
This will make a beautiful knife when it is finished.
>>
>>34888513
this is 10,000 b/k/
>>
>>34887242
Looks like something you'd see a hipster trying to sell on etsy.
>>
>>34887242

Thoughts on Gough Custom?
>>
>>34891108
i miss when this show had actually cool, unique weapons, instead of the same boring ass bowie/camp knives over and over again
>>
>>34887242
Hello anon, I been making bladed weapons for over 20 years. Its a decent attempt. But as a actual weapon it is primitive, unrefined, amateurish, crude. That being said I don't want to discourage you. You need to spend time studying form. Your not reinventing the wheel. A knife is a cutting tool, your knifes actual cutting effectiveness is compromised. If your attempting a rustic look. You should smooth out the steel more, clean up your geometry a lot more. Increase your cutting edge to a inch. Heat treat it, leave the scale on, only remove it from the wider cutting edge. Imho this looks like a freestyle attempt on your part. Keep working at it.
>>
>>34887242
tryhard/10
>>
>>34887290

That's not an argument my dude. I don't make tools but I can tell when one's trash. No different for knives. Hell, knives are tools. And that is one trash tool. It has a kind of primitive charm, but goddamn you went full retard. At best, it's a decoration. Man-jewelry. Well, manchild.
>>
>>34887242
That is your signature piece? As knives go, it is barely useful. If your knife was a gun, it would be a hi-point.

Now clean your shit up, you filthy animal.
>>
>>34887242
I don't know anything about bladesmithing, but i think it looks cool, and looks like you used a lot of time and effort on it.
>>
File: FECYJEPI7MY0QX8.MEDIUM.jpg (31KB, 620x463px) Image search: [Google]
FECYJEPI7MY0QX8.MEDIUM.jpg
31KB, 620x463px
>>34896484
Anon focus on refining you geometry, and curvature. Create templates so you have a solid idea of your blades architecture. What your end result will be. It takes a lot of energy to make a blade. Freestyle is not the way to go. Choose a basic pattern and work with that. It is far easier to manipulate wood than steel. (Pic example). Your not grasping the basics of structure and going into aesthetics. Put pen to paper, before putting hammer to steel. Most importantly do not become discouraged. Do not shy away from constructive criticism. We want you to become better. Post more pictures of the tang, blade spine. I don't see you making a effort to exchange any information other than your first post. If this was a first attempt, it shows you have promise. You will not find proper guidance here. Plenty of forums dedicated to knife makers. I suggest you go there.
>>
>>34887242
>im a bladesmith
more like i downloaded the do/k/ument and read the knife making guide and horrible fucked up but still think im a knife maker. Kill yourself faggot
>>
>>34900098
That is problem with internet culture. People think they can download a file and instantly they are great. When they receive the slightest of criticism they give up, or become defensive. It took me 5 years to get good. That was with a mentor. I been on my own for Fifteen years now and make a great living doing it. My knifes have been published in a multitude of knife and blade related magazines over the years. This drives my sales. I am humble enough to learn new things, or rediscover old ones lost to the age of mechanical mass manufacturing. I also am willing to teach. Op shows he can do it, but lacks the fundamentals. I feel Op has misrepresented himself. But that hurts him, because it's hard to assess his actual skill level. He can to the physical work, but shows his lack of functional blade design. He's trying to run before he can even crawl.
>>
>>34887242
I'm gonna seduce your mom, marry her so I can ground you for not cleaning your room, and then fake my own death.
>>
>>34887242
this knife...will kill
>>
File: IMG_6385.jpg (68KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6385.jpg
68KB, 480x640px
>>34887242
>Those hammer marks
Did you do all of it with the peen or something? Crown your hammers, suffer less. Also just outright buy a Venturi torch if you're using propane. It's more expensive to make one once all is said and done, and despite making quite a few, even my double-burner torches were less effective than one purchased one.

Pic related, last year's monstrosity from before we had crowned hammers, an anvil, and a real torch. The ayy lmao look is the result of salvaging a massive fracture by making it into a thumb grip. It would be comfortable as fuck, but it's just a little too big for my hand. Working on a cable damascus blade at the moment, this time with more experience and much better tooling
>>
>>34901210
those aren't hammer marks, it's obviously ground with dremmel or something to look like it's stone-age flint knife
it looks pretty nice

yours looks like it could use bit wider grips (aside from not not having to shape it ayylmao)
>>
>>34901358
>Ground with a dremmel
Okay, that makes a lot more sense now that I look at it.
You're right about the grips. I was shooting to replicate an image, and in the process overdid it a little. It's not awful, but it could have been better. Biggest bitch is, despite apparently good heat treating, I still can't get it to edge well.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.