[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily CAD Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 19

File: 2010-03-16_203504_Uzi9mm.jpg (136KB, 800x556px) Image search: [Google]
2010-03-16_203504_Uzi9mm.jpg
136KB, 800x556px
Previous thread: >>34869931

>What is this thread about?
This thread is for anons who are currently designing firearms, or firearm accessories, or using CAD to further their firearms knowledge.

>What is CAD
CAD stands for Computer Aided Design, it's 2D/3d software that lets you model parts and assemblies. It is the staple of all design in nearly every single industry on the planet.

>What CAD programs are out there
hundreds, maybe even thousands of types are available. However for simplicity sake and to answer your next question Solidworks and AutoCAD seem to have the biggest user base and most tutorials. you can find them on PirateBay

>Are there tutorials out there for the program I want to learn? (for simplicity sake I'm only going to focus on SW)
SolidWorks https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkMYhICFMsGZnW6j-JRyAcjWpnOqRuQI7

>OK, I now know a bit. Where can I CAD up some real stuff related to firearms?(needs expanding)
>MK2 Sten
http://stevespages.com/pdf/sten_mk2_complete_machine_instructions.pdf
>>
File: Suomi KP31.jpg (232KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
Suomi KP31.jpg
232KB, 1600x1067px
>tfw you don't own a Suomi KP31 to disassemble and study hands-on

kill me dead

The most beautiful fucking submachine gun, god
>>
>>34883738
>last one died
For fucksake at least learn sonething instead of shitposting you NEETs
>>
>>34883759
kits are cheap
>>
File: Expedient Homemade Firearms.jpg (266KB, 744x997px) Image search: [Google]
Expedient Homemade Firearms.jpg
266KB, 744x997px
>>34883798

I'm sorry dad...

Once you've digested this book, where do you go next?
>>
Has anyone here taken a close look at the Owen gun?
>>
Tfw dead on arrival
>>
>>34883981
>>
>Don't work on P08 model for a while because other stuff needed doing
>Oh yeah, I almost forgot making this thing is suffering!
>>
File: DC-71351f.jpg (23KB, 470x400px) Image search: [Google]
DC-71351f.jpg
23KB, 470x400px
So...i downloaded Fusion 360 in an effort to make this thing a realistic chance at working. No bigger than a .22 caliber, and probably a less stylized set of barrels. The hard part is probably going to be the rotational mechanism working in all 3 cylinders.

Does anyone have an idea on where to start making them all rotate on ONE hammer?
>>
>>34886854
Make one central gear that rotates all of them and just turn that?
>>
>>34886889
I hadn't thought of that....I was somehow thinking of making one cylinder turn the other two.

Feel free to call me a moron.
>>
>>34886854
But just fucking why?
>>
>>34887037
Recreating weebshit is its own reward.
>>
>>34885830

Thank you

>>34887538

Sad!
>>
File: 3 barrel revolver.jpg (43KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
3 barrel revolver.jpg
43KB, 636x358px
>>34888242
I mean, it's not like similar things haven't been made in the past.
>>
>>34883738
i was talking to an anon a while back in a kubeland thread who said he had designed a cheap railgun that used multiple disposable rails instead of a billion dollar alloy
anyone seen or heard of the designs?
>>
File: b1nobg.png (957KB, 1361x944px) Image search: [Google]
b1nobg.png
957KB, 1361x944px
so tell me CADbros... what are CAD files used for? C&C machining? Im an ausbro and am particularly interested in firearms manufacturing (legally ofc) and would like to know more about the process involved with producing and designing modern firearms.
>>
>>34888527
Realistically, this one is easier to make in CAD >>34886854
There's only one gear mechanism
>>
>>34889282
you could probably google your question and find the answer.
>>
>>34889282
The technical drawings used in all steps of designing and manufacturing a product can be derived from the model.

Think of it like creating the most geometrically perfect version of what you're building. No matter how good your materials and manufacturing processes are, there will always be some amount of deviation, but if the model is one inch wide, it's exactly one inch. If you kept trailing zeroes after the decimal point, they would go for eternity without there being a single digit other than zero.

Every single component you manufacture is just an attempt to recreate the theoretical perfection of that model.
>>
File: 1502355399093.png (125KB, 660x350px) Image search: [Google]
1502355399093.png
125KB, 660x350px
>>34892026
>tfw trying to wrap my head around the tolerance section of the Machinery's Handbook
Its amazing engineers can just rattle this shit off the top of thier head.
>>
>>34892350
You design something to be perfect and then figure out HOW imperfect it can be and still function properly, even under imperfect conditions. How much larger can the hole be? How far off perpendicularity from the surface can it be? How much tool deflection can you allow? How rough can the surface be? Every little factor comes into play.
>>
>>34889869
Yeah, but it's not what was used by Vincent Valentine, was it?
>>
>>34886889
>>34886981
Planetary gears
>>34887037
because fuck you, why not? thats why
>>
>school starts
>cad thread dies

I aint modeled shit since
>>
>>34893872
It's just so impractical, you could use your energy to make something useful.
>>
>>34894369
>making stuff for class
teacher is a hardass and gives tons of homework.

dayum son no CAD thread shenanigans for me
>>
>>34892430
>find out what will fuck it, then dial it back a hair
>>
>>34892026
>>34889282

To touch on the first part of the question, yes, CNC programmers can use software to import a CAD model and create a CNC program right from it. But they'll need a drawing or some other information to determine tolerances.
>>
>>34894470
>nofunallowed.jpg
besides the novelty of it, it involves multiple (semi)complex mechanisms working together in tandem. The learning experience alone is worthwhile
>>
File: amx.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
amx.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>34892026

Questionbro again, then how is it that companies mass produce firearms in which the possibility of a deviation occurring within the manufacturing process being constantly there
>>
File: MG42 Recieverprint.jpg (88KB, 800x618px) Image search: [Google]
MG42 Recieverprint.jpg
88KB, 800x618px
>>34895578
>the possibility of a deviation occurring within the manufacturing process being constantly there
what? if it's out of spec by even a little bit they throw it in the trash/recycle bin.
>>
File: 1495468047228.png (904KB, 809x629px) Image search: [Google]
1495468047228.png
904KB, 809x629px
>>34895314
>the learning experience
Frankly, you'd learn just as much making something useful
>>
>>34895853
possibly. but that has a higher chance of being not as fun. I'm all for utility, but you sound like an incredibly boring person. Please refrain from 'contributing' to the firearms manufacturing process. There are enough polymer striker fired pistols and AR15 parts on the market.
>what is thinking outside the box
>>
Anyone got schematics for a Mac 10 or Mac 11
>>
File: types_of_fits.gif (10KB, 771x585px) Image search: [Google]
types_of_fits.gif
10KB, 771x585px
>>34895578
It's not that the possibility of deviation is there. It's an inevitability. If you actually ended up with a geometrically perfect component, it'd be a literal miracle. Like some omnipotent being just decided to build it one atom at a time.

When you design a mechanism, you specify the acceptable RANGE of dimensions.

Let's say you have a hole and a shaft is put into it. NOMINALLY, both of them could be called 1" in diameter. On the drawing, you would dimension them both as 1" and then given them the appropriate fit. If the hole is, in actuality, smaller than the shaft, then you'll need to force the shaft into the hole (maybe with a hammer, maybe with a press, maybe you'll need to heat the hole and freeze the shaft so that thermal expansion/contraction gives you more play and then once the temperatures equalize they are permanently fixed to each other. If the hole is larger than the shaft, then it could be just tight enough to hold its place accurately, or it could be sloppy as fuck and fall right through.

Let's say that hole is in the center of a 2" cube.
Is the part going to be perfectly centered when you make that hole? Probably not. How close does it need to be? Could you get away with it being .0005" off the center?
The sides of the cube could be off of 90 degrees so when you clamp it in a vice, the surface you're drilling the hole through isn't perpendicular to the drill. Can it handle being off by .1 degrees and still work?

Engineering is the art of "close enough".
>>
>>34895968
I'm working on my own interesting concepts, but if they don't prove to be better than the competition I'll drop them and move on. I'm not boring, what's boring is thinking it's impossible to improve on guns beyond polymer striker fired pistols and AR15s.
>>
File: shrug.gif (281KB, 498x280px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.gif
281KB, 498x280px
>>34896901
>what's boring is thinking it's impossible to improve on guns beyond polymer striker fired pistols and AR15s.
Thats the point was trying to make, and associating your personality based on your responses so far led me to assume you would be the kinda person that thinks striker fired pistols and ARs are the end all be all.
miscommunication I guess. Wasn't really trying to insult you, but you sounded boring like that
>>
File: Bundeswehr1960 with G3.jpg (623KB, 1029x772px) Image search: [Google]
Bundeswehr1960 with G3.jpg
623KB, 1029x772px
I wonder how easy it would be to design a Luty style very DIY MG42 clone
>>
>>34898682
Not easy at all.
>>
>>34883798
Oh look, this faggot again

>>34884330
magazines built inna field during the war
no thanks
>extractor located in the magazine
no thanks

>>34886854
you can't make them work on a single hammer. Just look at how high the pivot point is on the central one.. Unless you make them pivot along the same line/plane/point. It would be like if you had all three of them the same length/height but just made the middle one taller if that makes any sense. You could use that to your advantage by adding a recess for the hammer spring into the taller, center one.That way, the force would be applied symmetrically

>>34895578
>tolerances
>>
>>34898920

is their semi-auto function easy to replicate though? The Owen is one of the only SMGs during the war to have one
>>
>>34883759
A kit is 150 bucks man, they even sell things to help you weld the receiver back together.
>>
>>34898682
Might not be possible. A luty gun is meant to be build with off the self components you can buy at a hardware store. The MG-42 is too complex to macgyver together.
>>
Wow, I was unaware this was a thing on /k/, now I have much more reason to come to to this board again. Are there any community projects going on, like a domesti/k/ally designed assault rifle?
>>
>>34892026
Not actually true.

Proper technical drawings have tolerances. That means, a part 1 inch wide is 1 inch +6/-8 mil. When making the part, you don't need to bother trying to fit it to 1 inch flat, you make it no wider than 1006 mils and no narrower than 992 mils. And as long as you meet these requirements, the final device will work correctly.

Some parts need to be very precise. Some get pretty loose tolerances - e.g. surfaces that don't mate with any surfaces of other elements, you get 10% accuracy and you're good. Precise mechanisms will have tight tolerances. Some parts even have tolerances where the bracket doesn't cover the actual dimensions; say a cylinder with inner diameter of 0.4in +2/-2 mil, will mate with a piston of 0.4in with -2/-5mil tolerance. If you make it 0.4in (400 mil) exactly, it will jam - you need to make it between 395 and 398 mil.

Simply put, as long as all your parts fit in the designated brackets and meet the material requirements, the designer guarantees the product will work within specs.
>>
What handgun project would you recommend as practical, no-bullshit and easy to make? May be revolver, may be a pistol, preferably rather small; cal 9mm or thereabouts.
>>
>>34899128
Literally the simplest pistol you could make.
https://serbu.com/products/gb-22-plans

It is actually somewhat practical, I would use it as a plinker.
>>
>>34899165
Nice, but somewhat more serious than 1-shot .22 plinker?
>>
>>34899187
Sorry pal, I can't really think of anything. The previous thread has a list of files you could download and look through, which could have what you're looking for.

https://www.adrive.com/public/42j3Pd/1.zip
https://www.adrive.com/public/vv2TfA/2.zip
https://www.adrive.com/public/47D2zc/3.zip
https://www.adrive.com/public/n8fTYB/4.zip
https://www.adrive.com/public/GTv8GX/5.zip
https://www.adrive.com/public/yXj7J9/6.zip
https://www.adrive.com/public/r26hGM/7.zip

Having skimmed through them, there are CAD files and blueprints. Most of them are incomplete or require licensed software to use them though. You might try your luck just searching for stuff on google, I've made quite a collection of plan that way.
>>
>>34899194
Was already downloading when I asked, but ~7GB that's a lot to look through, that's a lot of searching, that's why I asked for recommendation. I already have very fine plans of 1911, but it's rather on the complex side. I bet any semi would be but I guess revolvers should be much easier - I don't want to pick a crap project though, and I lack the experience to recognize one when I see it.
>>
>>34899216
It's actually not that much. The folders are well organized and easy to navigate. However, a disproportionate amount seem to only have CAD files and not that many revolvers. There are very few paper blueprints. You might get one of those black powder revolver kits, some of them can be mailed directly to your house. I just haven't really looked out for revolver plans.
>>
>>34899251
>> some of them can be mailed directly to your house.

Not here. I'm not in USA and obtaining guns around here is... significantly problematic. Never mind if you legally obtain a gun, the permit actually works as a search warrant on your house. The cops ARE authorized to check if the gun is kept secure, all ammo is accounted for (you need to keep a tally on where, when and how much you shoot) and that you have nothing else, not covered by the permit - essentially your house is open to them. (you're also ears deep in shit if your gun is stolen; if you failed at the mandatory precautions (certified locker, key kept secure etc) you face jail time for having your gun stolen.

So, keeping one illegally is way less of a hassle. (although obtaining ammo is difficult; black market only - can't buy ammo without permit, all sales are recorded. Although if you have a friend with a gun, he can write a box or two in the tally as used up at a field shooting range and sell it to you).
>>
>>34899284
Sorry friend, I cannot help you any further.
>>
>>34899290
Well, thanks for what you provided. I hope more people will show up later and maybe someone will have some suggestions.
>>
>>34899078
>Missing the point
The geometry of the model isn't toleranced. The dimensions you apply to the drawing itself are toleranced.
>>
>>34899078
Please use thou and not mil, mil is usually millionths unless you're in French. Then it's "un millième" for "one thousandths".
>>
>>34898682
dud, u know the kraut spacemagic meme? it exists for a reason
>>
File: indecent.jpg (192KB, 1400x896px) Image search: [Google]
indecent.jpg
192KB, 1400x896px
How bad is PLA shrinkage for 3D printing?
I'm building a 10/22 but don't want to pay the extra shekels for a full rifle or aftermarket reciever, but I don't know if the plastic shrinkage would throw the tolerances off to the point of unusability.
(Planning on borrowing a printer, so I don't have unlimited time for trial+error).
>>
>>34900850
https://3dprinting.stackexchange.com/
ask there.
Just don't tell them it's about a gun. "A precise piece that is normally machined."
>>
>>34900850
Print a block that is 1x2x3". That way you can measure the shrinkage and, if there's a problem with any given axis you can tell which one it was because each axis will be printing a different dimension. Once you've figured out shrinkage, you can then scale the print accordingly. Remember: You're better off having a hole that is too small than too large, since you can just open it up further. Maximum Material Condition!
>>
>>34900850
I know the .22 isnt the strongest but would PLA stand up to it? I remember Warfairy making one but but I think tge ensgoal was to cast it
>>
>>34902518
The warfairy lowers were all pretty strong, except the stock form factor ones. Those are a bear to get right. A regular Charon shouldn't break if printed and bonded properly.
Printed 10/22 receivers do exist and work fine.
>>
>>34902552
I heard that the FOSSCAD 10/22 receivers (unnamed) need modification to work right.
>>34901332
>>
>>34902518
>>34902552
Yeah, PLA 10/22 receivers work fine. They won't be too durable in the long run, especially if it's left in the sun or in a moist environment, but many people have successfully made them.

If you want to use something stronger than PLA by don't want to deal with tons of support material or warping, you could try one of the bolt-together designs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kza2mSDySMI
>>
>>34902552
Hmm, with the size of the print, and the likelihood of breakage, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a receiver?
>>
Can we talk about designing firearms in general here? Or is it specifically for CAD based projects
>>
>>34905019
I suppose, though I don't think many people here are actually designing firearms. It seems to be mostly talk about CAD.
>>
>>34904013
For a Legos-15 ($50), yes.
For a 10/22, recievers come at a premium ($100+),
>>
>>34905019
Absolutely. What do you have in mind?
>>
>>34906211
At that price I'd just double down and buy the goddamn 10/22.

Can someone cast a viable receiver using a lost wax/sand casting method?
>>
>>34907592
Read through the fucking archives you fucking newfag http://weaponsman.com/?p=24149
>>
>>34907303
Not him, but I've got a gas-delayed blowback carbine chambered in .44mag or something similar as an idea. What I'm wondering is at what point form factor has a bearing on overall design. You can either start with a pistol and add a stock (C96, Artillery Luger) or you start with a rifle and downsize it for the caliber (M1 Carbine). Which would be better?
>>
>>34906211
Its nice AR recivers are so prevalent but a 80% kit for a plinker like a 10/22 would be nice to have too. Though that is probably pushing what is practical given they are pretty low cost to begin with with the kits probably being more than the gun.

>>34907672
Ruger made a .44 magnum rotary rifle based off the Garand action, it is much easier to start somewhere there instead of messing around with much closer tolerances needed for gas delay blowback.
>>
File: Lost PLA 10-22.png (3MB, 1194x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Lost PLA 10-22.png
3MB, 1194x1440px
>>34907592
>>
>>34907751
>rotating bolt requires looser tolerances than gas delayed blowback
But that's wrong. Everybody thinks Steyr GB when they think gas delayed (not that it has super tight tolerances either really), but earlier examples have been covered by Forgotten weapons and are both much simpler and still effective. That being said I wouldn't fuck with .44 anything until I've made several smaller caliber guns.
>>
>>34907866
Oh wow, that's impressive.
>>
File: IMG_20170819_094558.jpg (3MB, 4072x1572px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170819_094558.jpg
3MB, 4072x1572px
Hi my name is bubba and this is how bad I want a VSS.
>>
>>34908764
According to the guy who made it, it functioned perfectly without any further processing.
>>
>>34905177
>I don't think many people here are actually designing firearms.

What.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.