[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A couple of months ago, I bought a Ruger 10/22. I immediately

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: ruger1022.jpg (18KB, 825x195px) Image search: [Google]
ruger1022.jpg
18KB, 825x195px
A couple of months ago, I bought a Ruger 10/22. I immediately experienced stove pipes and jams using some run of the mill high velocity ammo.

I have found out the only ammo it will cycle is CCI Minimags.

Will I ever be able to shoot any old fudd ammo, or is this just a shitty fan boy gun?
>>
>>34873382
>buying other than CCI for .22
>>
It should eventually break in, and it requires cleaning on occasion.
>>
>>34873402
I've shot Aguila High Velocity, CCI standard Velocity, Federal Bulk, Federal Wildcat. Nothing other than CCI Minimag will cycle a 10 round magazine.

This is a bummer because its sometimes hard to find, and is expensive. Will it ever break it, or will I always have to rely on Minimags?
>>
Never had an issue with mine, I primarily use BX-25's and I shoot whatever the cheapest brass I find around
>>
>>34873382
how does yours eject shells? my 10/22 lazily spits them out no matter what kind of ammo. While my buck mark sends them flying out the side.
>>
>>34873657
>brass
>>
Anyone know of a good stock for the 10/22 that doesn't feel cheap? I love the gun and everything but the whole stock just doesn't feel right.
>>
>>34873382
Sounds like you got a lemon.
I've never had a single issue with mine, and it eats cheap ammo like a fat girl eats cake
>>
Out of the box my 10/22 shot about 50 rounds fine then started to stove pipe/fte every couple rounds. Went home and cleaned it and made sure it was wet then next two range trips didnt have a single problem after shooting ~500 rounds of aguila and remington . Clean it and keep it wet! A new extractor is 10 bucks and easy to put in if its still a problem
>>
Remove 1 or 2 weights from the buffer
>>
>>34873737
I like the Hogue overmold stock.
>>
>>34873382
Thunderbolt works real well for me, but that's only because my pep-pep hoarded lr before it was cool and we have oil drums full of it. Sorry about your luck, stick with stingers/ MMs
>>
>>34873382
Winchester super x high velocity works fine in my 10/22
>>
>>34873382
Gotta break it in, sleep in your bed with your rifle, hold it tight, kiss it, don't be afraid to get a little rough. Pull that trigger like a big boy, like a good boy. Yes that's a good boy, GOOD BOY.
>>
>>34873910
>Thunderbolt works real well for me
this is quite possibly the first time anyone has ever said this :^)
>>
>>34873382
>>34873426
I have a 1970s Marlin 60 that does exactly the same thing. Got it as a hand-me-down with only about 50rds through it over the last 40 years. It will only run with CCI Minimag and CCI Standard velocity. Everything else results in stovepipes 30-70% of the time, depending on the brand. I have no idea why it likes CCI exclusively but at least now I know from your experience that it is likely some difference in their manufacturing process and not just pure coincidence. I haven't found anything about it online.

I have ~500 rounds through mine with no change, so I doubt it's not a break in thing. If you picked it up used, I'd recommend replacing the recoil spring and/or the ejector. I'm waiting on parts to come in for my Marlin so I can try the same. I can't promise it'll fix the issue.
>>
File: 20170815_183831.jpg (576KB, 1365x1024px) Image search: [Google]
20170815_183831.jpg
576KB, 1365x1024px
Did you happen you not put it back together correctly? It is possible to have the extractor bar incorrectly laying backwards next to the hammer. Be sure it is forward and in the groove.
>>
File: 20170815_184116.jpg (609KB, 1365x1024px) Image search: [Google]
20170815_184116.jpg
609KB, 1365x1024px
>>34874149
This is how it can be assembled incorrectly. The bolt will travel and the gun will work but really shitty.
>>
>>34873766
This.
I'm talking thunderbolt and white box with no problems.
>>
File: ruger1022mods.png (1MB, 1435x1636px) Image search: [Google]
ruger1022mods.png
1MB, 1435x1636px
>>34873382
>>
its not the machine
its the operator
>>
>>34874045
Tried the nickle trick? Your extractor wire is probably goofed.

https://youtu.be/VbKR0xCOa2Q
>>
>>34874167
Hmmm not op but I could see how this could happen and would definitely cause the gun to malfunction. I've had a 10/22 for over 15 years with maybe 30,000 rounds threw it. Back in the good ole days you could find boxes of 500 for under 20 pretty easily... hell I remember when they were around 15 a brick. Anyway it has been fired a lot, and it did have malfunctions pretty often when it was new and there weren't good mags available yet.

Biggest improvement for reliability has been an upgraded extractor claw and good mags. It will shoot anything now. Breaking it in over the years and cleaning definitely helped too
>>
>>34873382
>>34874045
I just remembered I got my new recoil spring in already and am only waiting on the other parts. Just field stripped my Marlin and the recoil spring look to be the issue. The old spring is the one up top in the photo, it's 3/4" shorter than the new spring and has obviously taken a set over the last 44 years. I'd definitely look into that if you picked up your 10/22 as an older used model.

>>34874238
Sadly that doesn't work on mine. I have the oldest Marlin 60. Like, first batch Marlin made after getting the design from Westpoint. They improved the internals twice shortly after mine was produced. It has a two part cast zinc feed throat with an integral ejector that sticks up out of the left of the feed throat. It's just a little chunk of zinc the juts out the top of the "bolt rails", or whatever they're actually called, on the feed throat. I have to replace the lifter, lifter spring/ejector, and the feed throat, after slightly modifying it, just to get a new ejector.

This old design is garbage because the zinc extractor will wear down over time and then you have to disassemble the whole action assembly and replace the entire feed throat just to replace the ejector.
>>
>>34874045
I've owned three different 10/22's over the course of about 30 years. ALL of them jam with anything but very high end ammo (fiocchi is all I could get 2 of them to reliably eat, the third would also take CCI minimags, but still had ~15% failure rate). The last one I replaced the entire springset with a Power Custom competition spring kit that supposedly provides extra return force when cycling. After I did though, it wouldn't even eat the Fiocchi reliably.

I have since given up on the 10/22 as a POS amd do not reccomend them to anyone. I'll only buy bolt, pump or lever .22's now.
>>
>>34873382
what grain projectile I find my 10/22 likes 36+
>>
I thought the 10/20 was the ultimate 22 rifle, this thread is blowing my mind. you guys are having the same issues some people have with their "cheap piece of shit" GSG replica guns.
>>
>>34874660
.22 semiautomatics tend to have more problems than most other semiautomatics. Low power, dirty, waxed cases and somewhat inconsistent loads. Everybody likes CCI mini mags because they are "mags", same with federal auto-match.

That being said a 10/22 or model 60 should have 95%+ reliability with run of the mill bulk ammo.

OP - cycle the action repeatedly while watching TV. It can help smoothen it out and provide better results.
>>
>>34873402
Disgusting tier ammo. Its better than remshit thunderbolt but not my much. Winchester makes the preemmmooo bullshitting 22lr
>>
File: 1468003682486.jpg (37KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1468003682486.jpg
37KB, 480x360px
>>34874191
Not sure if good ideas or ruinous full auto dog killer.
>>
>>34874818
If you want something that is essentially guaranteed to function, get some CCI Stingers.

Realistically though smoothing out the action is the best bet, followed by changing the mainspring or getting a better trigger pack/hammer spring. A new extractor may help if it's the ejection fucking things up.
>>
File: 1498957531861.gif (3MB, 500x207px) Image search: [Google]
1498957531861.gif
3MB, 500x207px
>>34874836
>>
>>34874818
I did that. I also cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned the action and bore. I even went so far as to immerce the action in, and fill the barrel with mercury in an attempt to get the nitro residue off the metal. That weapon hadn;t been so clean since before Ruger test-fired it at the factory.

It still jammed like a jazz musician. The Hi-Point I used to have when I was a wee babby gun owner was more reliable.
>>
>>34874854

those are all legit modifications that do exactly what the image says. I've done practically all of that to mine and they made a real difference in reliability and smoothness.
>>
>>34874854
>>34874907
The only one to be wary of is sanding the bolt face. You stand a good chance of fucking your headspacing if you aren't autistic enough in checking.
>>
>>34874907
what's the point of the upper right?
>>
>>34874978
>"This will significantly reduce trigger pull"
>>
>>34873382
Some 10/22's will have that problem OP. Others will run anything you put in them.

Luckily, there's a procedure to correct one that is a notorious jammer. It's called a Lake Clearing. What you do is, you take the 10/22 to your nearest lake, hold it by the barrel, and then fling the fucker into the lake as hard as you can.

Then you go get another one.
>>
>>34874994
sorry, i meant to ask what part that was. i don't have it on mine.
>>
>>34875025
Do you have a 10/22? Then you have that part. It's the hammer
>>
File: Ruger_Hammer_New_Style.jpg (24KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger_Hammer_New_Style.jpg
24KB, 236x236px
>>34875037
yes i do, and no i don't. my hammer is metal injection molded, has a single hole, and isn't 1/16' stamped sheet metal. pic related.
>>
>>34875025

it's the hammer, and it's inside the fire control group. you have to disassemble the FCG to get it out.
>>
>>34875025
>>34875037
Shit like this is why I never ever post infographics on /k/ about adjusting headspace or trigger pull.

Fucking 14 year old kids will spastically sand and/or file shit down to an off-center off-square nub and wonder why their firearm no longer functions or they're having a free ambulance ride.
>>
>>34873382
.22lr is low-powered enough that all .22 semiautos are picky about ammo, and are notorious for having cycling problems. My 10/22 does fine with cheapie Federal Automatch, but I ended up switching to Mini-Mags as my go-to ammo anyway because my AR-7 chokes on anything less powerful.

Don't go cheap, anon - splurge on top-shelf ammo. Life will be better in every way.
>>
My father, brother, nephew all own 10/22's as well as myself and most of my friends. These rifles were purchased as far back as the 1960's, and as recently as a couple weeks ago.

The only times I've even seen consistent FTF or FTE problems were with shitty aftermarket mags with plastic lips, and one dufus who was shooting ammo with a heavy wax coating who never cleaned his rifle. I found big wads of burnt wax in the receiver and chamber when he asked for help.

I'd either detail strip, clean and oil, or send the rifle back to Ruger-- they have pretty good customer service.
>>
>>34873382
If you dont have the money, you can use a dremel to sharpen up your extractor.
But a new one that will almost eliminate FTE is only like $10...
>>
>>34873382
Just try to break it in a bit more, sometimes a rough edge can fuck shit up temporarily. Maybe just grab some el cheapo ammo and try to run a bunch through next range trip.

My 10/22 has been fed absolute shit ammo, goes a year between cleanings, and it still looks almost new on the inside after you clean it up.
>>
>>34874879

+1 on replace extractor with a Kidd or similar one first.
>>
>>34875373
Am i insane for extensively cleaning my gun after every trip to the range?
I take the whole thing apart and everything.
A part of it is the relaxation of it though.
>>
>>34875493

Is it necessary? No.
Does that make you insane? No.
>>
>>34875597
haha, thanks, anon.

Got myelf a takedown but Im worried about holding zero with it coming on and off. anything to fix that?
>>
>>34873933
It's Thunderbolt from decades ago, the one with the weird alloy bullets I think
>>
>>34875622
yea dont use optics with high magnification. with irons you dont notice the poi shift on a 10/22 takedown. at 9x its noticeable but still close enough.
when you attach the barrel rack and release the bolt 3 or more times before you shoot it.
>>
>>34875685
Appreciate it, friend.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.