[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Archery for Noguns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: download.png (45KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
45KB, 475x475px
Sup /k/. I'm going to buy a bow for fun and for if shit turns south and I need to hunt. Currently Im thinking a recurve bow with a 50lb draw weight will do just fine. My budget is well above the cost of this though, so Im wondering if I should go for a compound bow.
I have little experience with archery and what I do have is very old. The last time I shot I did pretty well all things considered.
Also im a nogunz because of NE and I'm a sadfag from time to time.
Pic is what is in my cart in the Cabela's online store right now. Link is: http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1997870&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=e7b3b78cac10845466e685089c0322ef
What are your thoughts on A good bow for someone getting back into the sport. I'd say my max budget is $500 including some arrows and maybe a quiver, but thats less important.
>>
File: download (1).png (107KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).png
107KB, 475x475px
Self bump. Also this is the compound bow I would be buying
http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/archery/bows/compound-bows%7C/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/104235480/i/103967280/infinite-edge-pro-black-ops-package/1943472.uts#tabsCollection
>>
Go buy a nice crossbow, sights and handling like a gun, less training needed to become proficient
>>
>>34871921
I enjoy compound more but shoot both it's preference in the end. Go to an archery shop to get set up so they can show you a thing or 2 and fit the bow to your body it's not one size fits all.
>>
File: 1464809581083-621530100.jpg (90KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
1464809581083-621530100.jpg
90KB, 900x506px
>>34872105
That bow is garbage get a used Mathews or Hoyt that's 2012 and up if you want a compound. Samick or Hoyt for a recurve even PSE.
>>
>>34872180
The downside to the crossbow iguess is that it is illegal to hunt with them in Mass (where i own land) unless you get a doctors note saying you are disabled in such a way that you cannot use traditional archery equipment. That and it looks like a good crossbow is a bit more than I want to spend on a hobby im only just getting back into.
>>
>>34872242
You can't hunt with them? That's incredibly stupid. They should prevent overhunting with bag limits not by forcing you to use arcane methods.
>>
>>34872201
Thats good to know. I tend to be dimensionally average as far as Americans go, so im used to things fitting me. Ill go to the local indoor range to get further advice.
>>34872224
I did read a review that talked about the bolts in one of the cams coming loose and causing a catastrophic failure
>>
>>34872266
Massachusetts is a great state, but the legislature makes me so frustrated. We're the state of Isaac Davis goshdarnit.
>>
>>34872298
A cam coming off while at full draw and a string next to your face is reason to worry.
>>
>>34871921
If you have never used a bow I would suggest starting with the lowest draw strength they offer until you become proficient then buy the heavier draw for the recurve you have posted.
>>
>>34872393
the review said the bow exploded when he released the string. I'd imagine just about any failure would suck though. Thats why I dont own a glock in .40.
Im leaning towards the above recurve if only because fewer moving parts will surely mean greater durability, and if I get really into the sport I can always upgrade.
>>
>>34872475
I've been taught to use bows through various summer camps, but its been like 8-9 years. a month ago I went to a ren-faire and they had an archery range and I managed to hit my target with all of my arrows using a 35lb draw bow. The options for the bow Im considering are 40, 45, and 50. I went with 50 because I can always get gains and be better, but should I back down? If i were to hunt I'd probably be going after wild turkeys. Is 40lbs enough draw weight to fuck up a turkey?
>>
>>34872552
>40lbs kill a turkey

Prpbably would

>should I back down?

Well you can always buy what you want and if it works for you then great. If not, just order the 40s. I suggested a lower weight so you can focus on proper form and muscle memory before going towards your hunting setup.
>>
>>34872621
Ill take your advice here. It has been a while and i really should work on my form.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.