[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes an AR-15 "good"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

File: ddm4.jpg (28KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ddm4.jpg
28KB, 640x480px
I never owned a gun before, but with the way things are going, now is the time... decided to build an AR-15 to keep with me. I decided to build over buy because it seems like a really fun thing to learn and do, and also I'll be intimately familiar with the firearm and its workings, so it's a win-win.

That leads me to my question.... what makes an AR-15 (or its components rather) "good?" Is it simply highest strength alloys for durability, and lightest weight of components? I want to build a reliable, comfortable to use SHTF rifle. It probably won't ever be used outside of 100 yards... it would be for home defense (or whatever situations may pop up in the future...)
>>
>>34871599
I forgot to mention, I can go up to $1500 or so budget-wise. It can go higher if its a good enough reason.
>>
File: Colt Model 605.jpg (43KB, 713x401px) Image search: [Google]
Colt Model 605.jpg
43KB, 713x401px
>>34871599
>I want to build a reliable, comfortable to use SHTF rifle

an M16 built
fixed stock, full length buffer tube, rifle gas system is the most reliable, comfortable combination

anything else is your choice
>>
It's light, ergonomic and accurate right out of the box. Ammo is cheap and you can get an optimal barrel for any load you want to shoot. Also, it's more modular than any other rifle I know of.
>>
>>34871673
>>34871636
thank you
>>
>>34871599
Surprised this doesn't have any replies

What makes a good AR is the method being used to build the parts, and the quality control of the company building them

For the most part, uppers and lowers are good to go from basically anyone.
> The more gucci companies will make them marginally stronger and sometimes with better features like ambi controls and flared maxwells

Imo, there are 3 keep components you need to ensure are quality parts to have a good AR.
>Barrel
>BCG
>Trigger

Everything else is just a bonus imo.
>>
File: engravings.png (696KB, 768x864px) Image search: [Google]
engravings.png
696KB, 768x864px
>>34871697
This.
Most of your money should be going into the barrel, BCG and trigger. If you like the design of a certain receiver or the rollmark, go for it, but it's not going to make your gun any better.
>>
>>34871599
Weight that's it. Everything else it does well is inconsequential or makes a poor trade off
>>
File: ThunderRanch.jpg (453KB, 2094x805px) Image search: [Google]
ThunderRanch.jpg
453KB, 2094x805px
>>34871697
Oops, lots of grammar issues here. Hope its readable
>>
>>34871636
>build an awkward full length rifle exclusively for short range use

you''re so fucking dumb.
>>
>>34871716
>>34871697
Very good to know. I knew the barrel and trigger were important from what I've learned so far, but I didn't yet know the significance of a solid BCG. I also was under the impression that you need a 'good quality' lower receiver as well. And again, I don't know what defines one as quality.
>>
File: 1502156977671.jpg (43KB, 500x507px) Image search: [Google]
1502156977671.jpg
43KB, 500x507px
>>34871636
>>
>>34871747
Forgot to add this just as I posted.... I can see some aluminum alloys are twice as strong as others that are commonly used. That's really the only thing I have to go by.
>>
>>34871747
To be honest, the BCG doesn't matter as much as the barrel and trigger. Unless you want something fancy from LMT, KAC or Gemtech that actually alter the original design you are fine with a generic, mil-spec Toolcraft BCG. They make BCGs for a lot of AR companies anyway.
>>
>>34871599
One last thing... I feel my OP wasn't completely clear to some people. My question is what makes specific AR parts better than others (what performance metric), and what makes one AR higher quality and one lower quality.
>>
File: Wise.jpg (545KB, 2272x909px) Image search: [Google]
Wise.jpg
545KB, 2272x909px
>>34871747
You don't need a "quality" lower at all. Any lower will work just fine.
The only difference in lowers will be
>Forging or milled (Not really important)
>Companies parkerization ability
> Special features (ambi controls, flared magwells)
>Different Roll marks

Just don't go polymer unless you get the GWACS

A good BCG will run and run and run, a crappy brand might not hold up to the abuse you put it through if it has sub optimal build quality
>>
>>34871777
>>34871764
Thanks. For something as important as this, I have no issues with spending more for quality. Anyone skimping on tools for life and death situations are crazy.
>>
>>34871777

checked, what's that muzzle brake/compensator in your pic?
>>
>>34871768
Build Quality and Quality control
There are different methods of building parts
>Barrels can be cold hammer forged and they tend to have a longer service life
>receivers can be billet or forged (forged being stronger)
>Bolt carrier groups can use sub optimal springs or parts that don't hold up to wear as well

For the most part you should DEFF have
>CHF barrel
>Good Trigger
>Good BCG (Debatable)

The rest is up to you and your wallet it just won't make a world of difference
>>
>>34871818
*is crazy.
>>
>>34871819

oops, I meant regarding this pic
>>34871736
>>34871736
>>
>>34871819
In this pic?>>34871777
Its just an A2 flash hider

In this one>>34871736
Its a saker trifecta flash hider
>>
>>34871599
>>34871625
Don't be a cheap ass on parts. I hate to even suggest it, but asking the ARG thread might be a good idea. If you have the cash there are a number of upgrades you can have on your AR that make it more reliable and increase longevity, or just make it more fun to run or easier to clean.

I will echo what >>34871636 said. Rifle length
Adjustable gas block
Nickel boron coated bcg
Good luck.
>>
>>34871599
F stamped front sight post
Mil spec bcg
14.5" or 20" chrome lined barrel
Matech irons and comp m4 or ACOG. carry handle irons are fine too.
Aluminum lower with colt or magpul trigger guard.
A2 stock for 20" barrel, magpul MOE or CTR for 14.5"
A2 flash hider
Either black or rattle canned with local foliage as template
Bayonet of your choice
>>
>>34871599
A good AR should be reliable, light weight, accurate, and good looking, in that order.

Some folks will choose accuracy over lightness, but that's foolish, IMO, because you can build a 5 lb loaded AR that will outshoot 95% of shooters offhand.

Your barrel is your most important component, your bolt is your second most important, then your sighting system, your free float rail (if you choose to use one) is third, your trigger is fourth, and then whatever else you buy is just a balance of weight, aesthetics, and cost.
>>
>>34871737
>awkward full length rifle
OP is not a high speed low drag operator
a short rifle would done more harm than good
>>
>>34871599
If you aren't concerned with shooting past 100yds then you probably don't need anyting longer than a 16" barrel. The round ar15s shoot will go faster and as such shoot farther out of a 20" barrel, but that's 4 more inches on the end of a gun you're using for hd and 100yd shooting, so I don't think it's necessary. You might also consider putting a supressor on it if you're really concerned about using it for hd, as you'll probably go for your gun before your earpro when your home is being broken into. So that's an extra 6 inches of length and weight as well. And all that's not to consider how long you're gonna need to adjust the stock due to the length of your arms. All things to consider.
>>
Can anyone give a rookie a list of spare parts to have around for ar 15? I'd like to get everything I'll ever need now, while the gettins good.
>>
>>34873190
Bolt carrier group and barrel, you'll need white lithium grease and a bench with tools for having the barrel put on. You'll need multiple spring kits too. 3 or so trigger packs would be nice. Multiple sets of backup iron sights.
>>
File: IMG_0278.png (248KB, 500x733px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0278.png
248KB, 500x733px
>>34872156
>M16A4
>Pinnacle of of ARs
>>
>>34871599
adherence to a spec (not necessarily mil-spec)

we already know how colt 6920s, ruger ar-556s, and m&p sports operate under particular configurations and environments
>>
If it meets or exceeds military specifications
>>
File: 20170206_162455.jpg (3MB, 3024x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170206_162455.jpg
3MB, 3024x2268px
>>34871599
>What makes an AR-15 "good"

Only one way to be sure,
When it's stamped "COLT" on the side
>>
>>34873566
He could also put an M4 together from that list of parts. I believe that the M16A4 and the M4 and civilian clones are the best all around AR pattern rifles. For anything else it's going to be a specialized build.
>>
>>34871599
>What makes an AR-15 "good"

-light
-accurate
-reliable
-monstrous aftermarket of economy or gucci parts
-infinitely customizable
-relatively cheap ammunition
-mature design (all the kinks have been long worked out for common builds)
>>
How much will it cost to have an entry-level AR, and will it be more prudent to get something good off the bat, or upgrade parts later?
>>
>>34874618
(In CAD)
>>
>>34871599
>build over buy because it seems like a really fun thing to learn
>intimately familiar with the firearm and its workings

I like your style.
It has been mentioned but the BCG and barrel are the most important parts. A gucci trigger is nice if you want to spend the dosh but even shitty milspec ones will outshoot most people.
Rifle length is milder shooting and technically more reliable, carbine length is easier to use indoors and in/around cars.
Rails are another issue altogether but since you are whipping this up from parts it won't be an issue for you to change out later on once you know what you want.

>>34872156
This guy has great advice, I would just add b5 stock and eotech sights to the list though the latter of these is controversial here they are more than robust enough for anything you will ever do with the gun.
>>
>>34876018
I'm glad someone liked my advice. I'm going to have to agree on the b5 stock. I would have put the eotech on there but I didn't want to get spammed by memers.
>>
>>34873700
Fuck off, a PSA premium will run just as well for half the cost.
>>
>>34871599
ubiquity and parts availability mostly. There are other guns now that are as reliable, but their parts and readily available, and they are nowhere near as common.
>>
>>34871599
MLOK is far superior to keymod. NWS CRANE (SEAL research center) confirmed this.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.