[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magazines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1502746746279.jpg (28KB, 1200x278px) Image search: [Google]
1502746746279.jpg
28KB, 1200x278px
Did WW2 rifle users ever switch magazines instead of using stripper clips? Guns like the Lee-Enfield or SVT?
>>
File: Lee Enfield magazine.jpg (22KB, 306x220px) Image search: [Google]
Lee Enfield magazine.jpg
22KB, 306x220px
>>34870917
For the Lee Enfield, no. In fact the magazines were affixed to the rifle as shown here for many models.
>>
iirc SVTs were occasionally issued with a single spare magazine for emergencies. This was only for marine units if I recall correctly.
>>
Isnt the svt and avt moth magazine fed with removable magazines? Why would they use strippers?
>>
>>34870978
Oh never mind I forgot russia. Ignore me.
>>
>>34870917
The use detachable magazines to reload guns like SVT and Lee-Enfields was so limited it, actually reloading that way was the exception not the rule.

>>34870978
Cost. Stripper clips are mass produced and cheap. Magazines include a follower, spring and body, all of which cost money to produce, while most stripper clips were made with one or two pieces of metal that was just bent.
>>
>>34870978
The same reason everyone else did the same thing; mags are more expensive than stripper clips.
>>
>>34871009
>>34871017
Yeah but the stripper clips for 54r is beyond shitty even by russia standards.
>>
>>34870978
the mags were hand fit and serialized to that svt. no guarantee the mag youd pick up from some other gun would actually work properly.
>>
SVT-40s were originally issued with 3 matching serial magazines to each rifle (marked as xxxxxx.1 and so on).

I think they eventually stopped this practice and just only issued one magazine per rifle.
>>
Oddly, SMG makers got mags right, but always remember armed forces are slaves to tradition and make some absurd small arms choices no matter who they are.
>>
>>34871029
Have you used Lee-Enfield stripper clips. Or really anything but a mauser derived clip. They all suck compared to those.

Oh and yes, I have several hundred original x54r clips from a create of ammo I bought when I first got my mosin roughly a decade ago. Repro clips suck heavily, original, not so much.
>>
>>34871070
Honestly, the more I look into military procurement, it comes down to manufacturers making exactly what the military asks for, regardless of how stupid it is. That's why rifles like the OP used stupid shit like gas traps instead of just drilling a gas port.
>>
>>34871029
Originals work fine.
>>
>>34870978

they were issued with magazines, since that's how the system was intended to be used with it's removable magazine, but it could be fed with stripper clips as well.
>>
>>34871029

original russian stripper clips work beautifully, they are hard to fine and about $5 each though
>>
>>34871163
>>34871142
>>34871074

I refuse to believe that. No way rimmed cartridges would work with clips from the mother land. Neither have I ever seen any of them work in real life.
>>
>>34870976
The original plan was to issue every SVT-40 with three magazines, as well as issue SVT-40's to the entire army.
This of course never happened because shit was costly and timely to make, which is the main reason why a lot of armies didn't use detachable magazines outside of a handful of guns, you can make a dozen clips in the time and cost it takes you to make a single magazine.
>>
>>34871182
It is doable, rather easily.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.