[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scout Rifle for home defense?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: 9556093bd4bb16b1.jpg (171KB, 1024x698px) Image search: [Google]
9556093bd4bb16b1.jpg
171KB, 1024x698px
>>
>>34870227
No.
>>
>>34870227
If it is the only one you have then yes. There are better options however.
>>
>>34870227
No, shotguns and handguns are for home defense. Rifles are for putting food on the table.
>>
>>34870227
Depends. Is your home Central Park?
>>
>>34870227
Yes.
>>
a blackpowder muzzleloading pistol is better than nothing. would make a decent club after you fire as well.
>>
File: Fuchs Mokume.jpg (376KB, 3000x800px) Image search: [Google]
Fuchs Mokume.jpg
376KB, 3000x800px
If you absolutely need a manual action rifle for home defense, I'd say the best you could do would either be a compact lever action guide gun, or a straight-pull rifle like Merkel's RX Helix (so blazing fast you'll burn your hands) or the Blaser R8. The R8 might be favourable, as it actually comes in calibres proven to stop dangerous game dead in their tracks. 9.3x62 and .375 H&H would be good for practicing, but if you're confident, I'd go with .458 Lott or .500 Jeffery. The RX Helix is available in 9.3x62, which might be fine.
If you go with a conventional bolt rifle, either consider something like the Howa Mini Action rifles in .223 and use varmint rounds if you have a vagina and are afraid of overpenetration and want to doll it up with a removable magazine and a suppressor, or get something in minimum .404 Jeffery that fires a big fuckin jacked bullet that politely but firmly tells people to get out of the way as it barrels through most everything to get to wherever it's going. The sheer number of people shot with .223 vs those shot with .404 proves this.
True patricians would use either a rifle drilling in 9.3x74R x 9.3x74R x 12 ga, or a double rifle in a calibre that begins with at least .47 and ends in Express.
>muh expedient reloading, muh capacity
You'll have a sea of time to reload while your unwanted guests are wondering about what made the dinner plate-sized holes in their companions, and what that incessant EEEEEEEEEE is.
An acceptable compromise would be the double-barrel repeaters made by Fuchs, in .30-06, 375 H&H or .470 Capstick.
For a levergun, you could use the Winchester 1895 in .405 Winchester brand Winchester, which was what Teddy Roosevelt used to take a rhino (a very angry black rhino, no horseshit pussy white rhino) and stop a lion on his famous ten months long safari. If not, you could opt to build in .50 Alaskan, or the good old .45-70. Nice thing with lever guns, in my opinion, is that they're easier to squeeze out follow-up shots with.
>>
>>34870227

lmfao no you fuckin retard
>>
>>34871346
*people accidentally shot by .223 vs. those accidentally shot by .404 proves this
Sorry about that. It's clearly a cartridge that's very forgiving of user error.
>>
>>34871346
Are you absolutely insane? Why in gods name would you suggest a fucking elephant gun round for self defense? Maybe I'm taking the bait but Jesus your a fucking moron.
>>
>>34871346
nice
>>
File: 1494522569627.png (336KB, 940x612px) Image search: [Google]
1494522569627.png
336KB, 940x612px
Would clear a room with a bolt action rifle firing a full size rifle cartridge?
>>
>>34871382
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRIrUcBONYw
>>
>>34871391
People did it in ww2
>>
>>34871391
Yes?

With a bayonet fixed you can't lose.

Miss shot? Stab the fucker, pull out sidearm and make a brain slushie
>>
>>34871346
That's gecko45 level stupidity.
>>
>>34871391
> what are bayonets for?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxFgSmR0i3A
>>
File: 1480372554815.jpg (161KB, 964x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1480372554815.jpg
161KB, 964x1200px
I always keep these next to me just in case someone invades my home
>>
>>34871346
This guy gets it.
>>
>>34870260
>Rifles are for putting food on the table.
Or, you know, a JOB
>>
>>34871516
Is that not what a job does?
>>
>>34870227
Lose the scope, it's pointless. High mag capacity is cool, so is a bayonet. Or you just carry a machete, or put one in reach at your place of defence. Don't advance unless you have to. Having to advance to defend your children constitutes failure to set up your home correctly. Blockade the entrances against melee attackers, set up cover against gunmen. In fact, just lock your door and shoot through it when someone tries to kick it down. (Make sure there's a bullet stop behing it before you plan that.)

Also, get a better gun, but that's so obvious it's barely worth mentioning.
>>
>>34870227
I live in a home on a ranch, I wouldn't have one of these abortions if you paid me
>>
Quit being a faggot and buy a shotgun.
>>
>>34871382
>>34871476
I'm sorry, I figured it should go without saying that you'd want to use softer lead bullets rather than the massive solids, as home invaders (typical ones, at least) don't call for the same kind of bullet as elephants.
While they admittedly do have thick skulls, they're not anywhere near as thick as elephant ones, and you'd likely be shooting for center mass anyway.
The reasoning is perfectly fine, I assure you. Let me lay it out for you:
Stopping rifles are designed to be used at close range and stop charges from creatures that can kill you in gruesome ways. For all this, they're comparatively compact, if not exactly light.
Home invaders will face you at short ranges (unless you live in the Versailles), and though they may have Glock 40s, HiPoints and Problem Solvers in place of fangs and claws and tusks and move marginally slower, they're no less deadly.
Besides, magnum calibres and -rifles are cool!
Pic related, here's a CZ-550 converted to .600 Overkill. Controlled feed, large bolt handle to facilitate the firm (to put it mildly) bolt operation you use with stopping rifles, rather than the slow and careful pussyfooting you might do with smaller calibre rifles that, in turn, might lead to you short-stroking in a stressful situation.

>>34871610
>Lose the scope
A variable-power (1-4) scope, such as those used by practical shooters and brush hunters or a red-dot would certainly not be amiss! You shoot with both eyes open anyway. The only equally suitable option I could imagine would be an illuminated ghost ring.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.