[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't they just make bulletproof vests out of diamond?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: 1472244994032.jpg (370KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1472244994032.jpg
370KB, 640x640px
Why don't they just make bulletproof vests out of diamond?
>>
>>34859702
Operators would look too fabulous and gay.
>>
Wow, epic and original shitpost my friend.
>>
File: 1502581866642.jpg (6KB, 228x216px) Image search: [Google]
1502581866642.jpg
6KB, 228x216px
>>34859702
>>
>>34859702
That's a lot of diamond and it's brittle.
>>
>>34859702
i can see you at your monitor now trying to brainstorm the most outrageous shit that you can come up with to clog this site with.
then dumb ass's like myself cannot resist the temptation to reply.
thank you for lowering the bar.
>>
Because diamond shatters and doesn't absorb much impact.
>>
Damn, tell me where you got your diamonds man, my angle grinder saw needs replacing every other week.
>>
The Minecraft generation everyone.
>>
>>34859702
They do, ceramics
>>
>>34859702
because diamond is not only hard, but also fragile, imagine being hit by a bullet that shatters the diamond vest (think spalling: no penetration, instead the impact causes fragments of the armor to do damage inside), propelling the fragments into your body, imagine a thousand glass fragments in your body; sharp, hard, practically invisible to naked eye & almost certainly invisible in x-rays, making them all but impossible to remove, add to that the fact that unlike with metal fragments, your body won't be "cocooning" glass fragments trapped inside your body.
>>
>>34860122
fragile/brittle
>>
>>34859702
Too expensive.
Same reason they don't make them out of gold.
>>
What is this new reddit meme all the fags are posting these days?
>>
>>34859702
Metal makes shitty armor.
>>
Didnt work for the romanovs, wont work for you.
>>
>>34860122
why doesn't the body cocoon the glasses
curiously interested
>>
>>34859702
They don't think human lives are worth that much, wake up sheeple
>>
>>34861807
not 100% sure, but my working theory on teh matter is that with something like steel fragments the edges get corroded by bodily fluids & as such lose any sharpness quickly, allowing for tissue to form around the fragments, with glass there's no hope of that happening.
>>
People are still talking about Diamond armor when we live in an era when we could take human shit and re-purpose the carbon into armor far stronger than diamond.

Yet let's continue to debate why we don't use rare or expensive materials that have no real world purpose.
>>
>>34861993
diamonds aren't rare, certain company that practically controls the supply chain between the mines and the global jewelry market merely keeps buying way more diamonds than they are releasing on the market, which also explains why jewelry-grade diamonds are so expensive despite the fact that they aren't anywhere close to being rare.
>>
>>34862037
As I said, rare or expensive.

When was the last time any military bought supplies at a good price?
>>
>>34862053
>As I said, rare or expensive.
the thing is that it's only jewelry-grade diamonds that are expensive, industrial-grade stuff is nowhere near the prices of the pretty stuff.
>>
>>34859702
Because its too heavy. 1kg of diamonds weighs like, 10kg.
>>
>>34862103
false, it's more like 9.95kg
>>
because everyone knows diamond is the hardest metal. according to science.
>>
>>34860122
What if they start making bullets out of diamonds
>>
>>34862943
It would shatter in the barrel. It would only be realistically useful in a shotgun, but then again so is glass if we're taking that route.
>>
>>34862084
Isn't that industrial grade stuff manufactured?
>>
File: 1422614793834.jpg (28KB, 528x440px) Image search: [Google]
1422614793834.jpg
28KB, 528x440px
>>34862103
>1kg weighs 10kg
>>
>>34863488
Welcome newfriend
>>
>>34859702
Hardness refers to a minerals resistance to being scratched, not it's ability to withstand blunt force.
>>
What if you put a diamond in the top of a bullet. Would it puch through armor like butter?
>>
Too expensive. That's why the army has to settle for cubic zirconium.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.