[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SPACE MUHREENZ

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 12

File: 1497426791035.jpg (1MB, 2061x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1497426791035.jpg
1MB, 2061x3000px
Ok /k/ommandos, when and where do you think the United States Space Corps will see it's first combat? What type of combat will it be, and how will they perform?
>>
Hard to say where, when or how they will perform, but the only combat they'll ever be seeing is if someone shoots up an AFB.
>>
File: younonothing.jpg (7KB, 277x182px) Image search: [Google]
younonothing.jpg
7KB, 277x182px
> where do you think the United States Space Corps will see it's first combat?

Space
>>
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/

Scroll to the bottom and look under "Space War" section
>>
>>34859621
Not in your life time. Who would we fight? Anyone worthy of fighting would still be on Earth.

At my corps, I'm a star wars fan hands down. But I love Trek too. I always had appreciation that Gene Roddenberry chose it took place in the 24th century. He was at least somewhat knowledgeable that technology takes time to progress. Take Trek vs. the idiots who made Terminator in the 80's and thought shit would be destroyed by the year 2000, we already live in a year beyond that.
>>
>>34859621
>when
not in our lifetime
>where
space
>What type of combat will it be
space kind
>and how will they perform?
utilizing nuclear assets.

honestly, space corps is gonna be a glorified air force computer terminal tech unit. they're gonna use nukes to knock asteroids out of harms way. eventually, they might run manned missions to mars or other astral bodies so they can set up colonies for mining. we are nowhere near capable of the space exploration you dream about.
>>
>>34859621
Probably against China in the mid 21st century, no actual space marines involved but just shooting down satellites
>>
>>34859768
China has already conducted experiments on weapons to shoot down satellites. They shot down one of their own old ones and casted a ton of debris in the area making it dangerous for working ones.
>>
File: PLA space force.png (212KB, 948x173px) Image search: [Google]
PLA space force.png
212KB, 948x173px
>>34859768
>>34859788
The PLA already has established a Space Force.
>>
>>34859700
>Trek vs. the idiots who made Terminator in the 80's and thought shit would be destroyed by the year 2000, we already live in a year beyond that.
I always knew Star Wars fans were brainlets, but this really takes the cake.
>>
>>34859621
That is a fucking steep ramp.
>>
>>34860418
That ship has to be destroyed since it cannot accommodate disabled persons
>>
>>34859621

I'd say it won't happen until we figure out how to drill asteroids. There are massive rocks floating out there full of platinum and other shit.
Once we start mining asteroids, political fight ls will start and force the UN to finally declare some rules of ownership on shit in space, Inevitably resulting in a streak of ground wars while countries threaten to launch missiles at mining colonies.
Not sure if there ever really will be "space warfare" but I'd bet the first "space battles" will be workers and civilian security guards duking it out with rival mining colonies, using small arms and weaponized mining equipment.
>>
File: red faction.png (221KB, 588x445px) Image search: [Google]
red faction.png
221KB, 588x445px
>>34861451
titanium is what would probably be most sought after. you're right about the mining colonies though.
>>
>>34860401
Then fight me bitch. You said absolutely nothing. We can discuss either star wars or star trek, I know enough about both to make you look stupid.
>>
>>34859621
>>
>>
File: 1413919932683.jpg (199KB, 1024x1439px) Image search: [Google]
1413919932683.jpg
199KB, 1024x1439px
>>
>>34859621
>Ok /k/ommandos, when and where do you think the United States Space Corps will see it's first combat? What type of combat will it be, and how will they perform?
US space defense is focused on maintaining and defending our access and use of space. The chances are really remote of combat happening in space itself even within the next twenty years, but if it does happen then it will likely either be in the form of an anti-ballistic missile platform being used (e.g. SM-3), or someone's satellite (most likely ours) being deliberately damaged in some way (e.g. ASAT, killer satellite, remote hacking). Neither type of event is likely to cause a full blown war in space.
>>
>>34861943
I wasn't talking about either, but the implication that the guys who made Terminator were idiots for making the end of the world in the 2000's.
>>
>>34859788
Other countries have tested anti-satellite weapons too. The thing is, those weapons were pretty much shelved by the 80s and 90s, so China's 2007 test has created pressure on other countries to develop / deploy ASAT weapons as well as ways to defend against them.

The development of ballistic missile defense systems has also boosted ASAT technology since those systems can easily be repurposed into ASAT roles.

>>34860389
>The PLA already has established a Space Force.
Russia too, but an established force doesn't matter much anyway as countries pursue the militarization and weaponization of space without established space forces. It's just that those forces can theoretically make it easier to secure their country's space domain (which is why there is pressure for the US to have our own space force).
>>
File: 1502764548029.jpg (36KB, 400x396px) Image search: [Google]
1502764548029.jpg
36KB, 400x396px
>>34859711
>not in our lifetime
>tfw I will never use my Deagle as emergency propellent to launch myself to cover under heavy fire

Feelsbadman
>>
>>34862891
Is that from Alien
>>
File: 1487520887909.jpg (824KB, 569x1252px) Image search: [Google]
1487520887909.jpg
824KB, 569x1252px
My guess is it won't actually involve anything related to human hands on stuff.

I'd like to imagine the space equivalent of frog men doing space walk sabotage on satellite firmware, clad in blacked out agility focused space suits, but I just don't see it happening.
>>
File: soviet_polyus.jpg (1MB, 1255x3598px) Image search: [Google]
soviet_polyus.jpg
1MB, 1255x3598px
>>34865667
I think there is a possible situation:

>manned space station
>variety of assets allowing it to severely restrict or deny another nation's access to critical orbit(s)
>enough supplies to last for months or years
>cant blow it up because of the large amount of debris that would be created
>jamming and hacking it aren't useful enough
>need to take it out asap

You can either find some way to de-orbit it or send up people to wrest control of it. The book Ghost Fleet had a similar situation where an operation took control of a Chinese space station that was shooting down American satellites a la Soviet Polyus.

It seems unlikely that such a station would be deployed any time soon though.
>>
File: 1501833819264.jpg (29KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1501833819264.jpg
29KB, 680x383px
>>34861548
>red faction
This poster is a gentleman and a scholar.
>>
>>34866134
>cant blow it up because of the large amount of debris that would be created
Don't underestimate China's bucket of crabs mentality. They've already blown up shit in space.
>>
I'm betting the first space combat of ANY kidn will be private, between two or more corporations looking for exclusive rights to specific asteroids from the belt.
>>
>>34866134
>can't blow it up because of the large amount of debris it would create

Firstly, Chinese satellites and manned stations already have last-directive type bombs on them set to blow if they are so inclined.

Secondly, your logic has a wrinkle. If the station is restricting enemy access to space, why would they not simply blow it up to deny you access? Simple case of "I can't have it, no one can".
>>
>>34867100
>>34867134
I think China pulling a Kessler Syndrome as a last resort is plausible, but I just wanted to point out that there is a real world possibility of humans having a combat role in space.

>>34867100
Even though China has continued with ASAT development, they have also not cause debris problems like that since.

>>34867134
>Firstly, Chinese satellites and manned stations already have last-directive type bombs on them set to blow if they are so inclined.
sauce
>>
Currently, there are few military/economic incentives to bring a group of meat heads in power armor to blow something up. What's worse is that, the only things to blow up are lame ass spy sats that we already have weapons to deal with from the comfort of a missile silo.
>>
>>34867407
I'm entirely ignorant of physics, so bear with me here, but couldn't you just poke holes in space stations to kill the people inside?

Say you used a relatively low speed, small, kinetic weapon, like a dart. Rupturing the hulls, and targeting life support equipment seems like it could be feasible method for taking the space station. Would it be possible to employ a weapon like this and have it actually negate the possible result of explosions/shrapnel?
>>
>>34861548
Yeah. Shame that 95% of the work force will be robits on asteroids and the other 5% will be bored engineers who maintain the robits.
>>
>>34865600
Reading this makes me want to replay Infinite Warfare again

It was retarded but grappling onto an enemy in 0G and ripping off his EVA mask never gets old.
>>
>>34867601
A roughly bullet sized hole would take about an hour to completely empty a modest-sized compartment, more than enough time to find a dinner tray and an emergency sealant gun or something to plug the hole.
>>
>>34867782
What about a bunch of them, in unison, and engineered to penetrate only one hull? Sort of like a massed fletcher launcher.

I'm picturing a Swiss cheese round.
>>
>>34867861
>>34867601
Military space stations that expect combat could be armoured out the shit, they could even just be partially hollowed out asteroids. Its not difficult to slap armour on something that isn't expected to do much other than orbit a planet or whatever.
>>
File: chinaannounc.jpg (78KB, 432x353px) Image search: [Google]
chinaannounc.jpg
78KB, 432x353px
>>34867601
I don't know enough to give you a real answer but I'll add something interesting. I do know that the ISS regularly dodges even small objects that get close to it, but this might be done in conjunction with ground tracking of space objects. I know China's ground tracking program is supposedly limited so maybe they won't be able to see everything if you were targeting a station of theirs. Even then it's still possible to limit visibility of space objects as satellite debris from the 1985 ASAT test had melted plastics covering it which made the debris difficult to detect:

>NASA assumed the torn metal would be bright. Surprisingly, the Solwind pieces turned out to appear so dark as to be almost undetectable. Only two pieces were seen. NASA Scientists theorized that the unexpected Solwind darkening was due to carbonization of organic compounds in the target satellite; that is, when the kinetic energy of the projectile became heat energy on impact, the plastics inside Solwind vaporized and condensed on the metal pieces as soot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-135_ASAT#Test_launches
>>
>>34859621

> Support vessel Karl-selim launch ceremony.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.