[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backyard Range Ideas/General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: sandbags.jpg (52KB, 690x388px) Image search: [Google]
sandbags.jpg
52KB, 690x388px
Hey /k/, bought a house out in PA a few months ago with 7 acres. It's mostly flat open field with wooded borders and few neighbors (who shoot in their backyards themselves). Nobody uses a backstop because for the most part, there's nothing in that direction for at least half a mile until it rolls into a huge hill. I however prefer to be safer, not to mention the law requires a backstop.

So my real question is, what are some cheap easy ways to build a backstop out in my field? I can only get things in I can carry by hand or wheelbarrow at the moment, so I was thinking sandbags? Will sandbags hold up to mostly small arms fire? I currently just have 2 9mm handguns, a .22, and my 12 gauge that I probably won't be shooting anyway. However in the future I will be getting a hunting rifle, probably in 30-30 or 308 and will want to practice with that quite a bit.

Any tips, links to plans, or help much appreciated. Also, feel free to post your own home or backyard ranges!
>>
>>34853329

water balloons filled with glitter
>>
>>34853329
rent a loader and buy some dirt
>>
>>34853359
That doesn't seem as cheap as 100 sandbags for $36 and 4 tons of sand for $160 delivered. Unfortunately the field is difficult to access by a large vehicle because of how the fencing is set up. I >might< be able to get my pickup down there but otherwise I'll have to pull posts and I really don't want to do that.
>>
>>34853329

Back in the hill country I just used the gravel pits they had. The piles of gravel had to be 15 - 20 feet high. I doubt you'd need that much but I think that would be your cheapest option. Rent a loader and buy some shitty dirt. Would likely be cheaper than buying a bunch of sand bags, and easier to implement too, and it'd be pretty fucking hard to mess up a pile of dirt so bad that it doesn't stop bullets.
>>
>>34853379
>100 sandbags
not enough

>4 tons of sand
how you going to move it? dirst is cheap too, the loader is what'll cost you.

its also good to stack tires and then bury them with dirt.
>>
>>34853400
Each filled sandbag turns out to be about 10" high by 10" wide by 18" long. 5 bags end to end would make a roughly 9 foot wall, 10 bags high would be roughly 8 feet tall. I could double or triple layer that wall and still have more then half leftover by my calculations. Unless I'm missing something here. That's filled bags too not flat.

Also I would wheelbarrow the sand down. I know it will suck but I work physical labor 60 hours a week already so what's an extra weekend spent busting my hump. If I thought a loader was a viable solution I would rent one..

I like the tire idea though, thats interesting. Don't want it to look like shit, though I guess I could spray paint them dark green or something.
>>
File: IMG_4859.jpg (766KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4859.jpg
766KB, 1280x960px
>go to local car dealer, mechanic shop.
> ask for used/ dead tires of the same diameter
it cost them money to dispose of them so dont let them bullshit you into paying for them.
>get rebar stakes atleast 5ft long
>Rent small front end loader/ backhoe
>get dump truck load of dirt
>Lay out the tires and fill them with dirt individually.
Pack in the dirt. pack the dirt into every tire on every layer
> your objective is to build basically a pyramid.
>Dump the rest of the dirt behind the tire wall and pack it down the the bucket
of the loader.
This backfill is critical as it will stock all rounds from exiting the berm
>>
>>34853531
Nvm just realized my calculation was retarded. Not sure what I was thinking. Theoretically though I would still have enough bags for a double wall 9 feet long by 8 feet high, and I don't even need it to be that big really. But will they hold up?
>>
File: 20170225_153841.jpg (4MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170225_153841.jpg
4MB, 2448x2448px
Its a 3-4 man job
>>
Rent a Kubota front loader for a day (~$250) and go dig a huge as fuck berm out of the ground and it'll do.
>>
File: d8.jpg (95KB, 587x390px) Image search: [Google]
d8.jpg
95KB, 587x390px
>>34853850
This right here. Or hire someone with pic related to come out and build you a backstop in one push.
>>
>>34853936
Point is this seems like a job for heavy equipment.
>>
File: IMG_20170813_194752398.jpg (4MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170813_194752398.jpg
4MB, 2432x4320px
>>34853807
>>34853844
That does seem much sturdier then sandbags. I'm just not sure how I'll get a loader down. This is the only way to get into the field, down a hill between a tree and the pool. If I could get a small enough loader it could work.
>>
>>34854029
where are your targets/backdrop going to be and how far out can you shoot into there?
>>
>>34854029
sandbags are going to rip open and be affected by UV much more readily. The tires seal very well when shot
>>
File: IMG_20170813_204636.jpg (2MB, 2432x2994px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170813_204636.jpg
2MB, 2432x2994px
That target down there is where I'd probably put it. Or maybe even further away down by the tree line. I know it probably seems unnecessary to even have a backstop with that huge hill back there but I'd honestly rather be safe then sorry when it comes to this type of thing.
>>
>>34854067
I have at least 800 feet from where I could theoretically shoot from. Over 1000 feet if I'm shooting from near the house but I'm not even trying to shoot that distance anyway. Maybe 100-200 yards out max when I get the rifle. I lived in a no-funs state my whole life so I'm playing catch up. I want to go deer hunting for the first time this year so I'll be buying my first rifle soon and I know I'll need a lot of practice.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.