[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hard T n Ho

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

Has anyone ever used hardtack as a prepper food?
I have the ingredients handy and was going to make some today.
Any Kommandos ever make their own?
>>
I've made the stuff a number of times.
>>
>>34852792
No reason to use hardtack when you could just buy a box of clubhouse crackers and some canned pork and peaches.
>>
>>34852856
That's too easy.
Plus, part of it falls under historical research.
>>
>>34852792
When I was in college and super broke I made some to try and survive.

Never used it for camping though.
>>
portable soup is awesome
>>
>>34852792

Dood goog thread.
I love food tghreads
>>
>>34852792
lot of snow elves say that they fry various pilots breads and hard tacks in whale, seal, moose blubber.

actually sounds pretty good. desu.
>>
I made it once, it's pretty tasty dipped in hot milk and honey.
>>
>>34852792
>I have the ingredients handy
holy shit anon has flour and water stop the fucking presses
>>
>>34855428
You jest but I am missing one of those ingredients
>>
I'd rather make flatbread than something famous for breaking teeth. Hardtack seems better for travel food since it doesn't spoil for ages.
>>
>>34855404
Alaska seems to be one of the major sales areas for te hardtack industry.
I was going to order some, but it's $12 freakin dollars on a/mazon.

>>34855428
I don't usually keep flour around the house, so it entailed a special trip to purchase it.

And I only have sea salt...I guess that will work fine.
>>
>>34852792
eat with chicken broth or warm water/coffee
>>
>>34852792
Hardtack + pocketsoup
>>
>>34852851
>believing this pansy shit is real fucking hardtack

REAL hardtack, by Army requirements during the civil war was 6 cups flour to 1 cup water. Nothing else.
People added salt or sugar if it was around, or some kind of oil/fat/lard if they wanted it bearable.

The hardtack I make is dangerous though, not only will it chip your teeth, but I have cut myself more than once on it and you need to sand it down usually. And you poke it with a nail a few times before baking so it dries properly.
People love to eat it just for the meme.
>>
>>34852792
Real hardtack, flour and water only, will usually last about 50 years if you can keep humidity decent.
>>
>>34855971
So basically bread jerky
>>
>>34852856
what kind of canned pork??
I was looking at recreating some old rations- like the jungle ration. It used a lot of dried meat and dried fruit.
I wonder if pemmican is all it's cracked up to be?
>>
>>34855427
I wonder if you could make something with oatmeal? Or would that just be granola/gorp?
>>
>>34856152
from my understanding pemmican goes rancid after about a year from the oils/fats used as the binder
>>
made some before
They taste pretty good in clam chowder.
>>
>>34856152
Spam and generic versions of Spam. Just open and heat it up over a fire.
>>
>>34852856
Hardtack is tougher than clubhouse, which tends to stale after a while. I mean, they'll still be edible sure, but the taste won't be as good.
>>
>>34857632
I don't think you understand just how "hard" proper hardtack is. A stale club cracker won't break your teeth, while hardtack practically has the consistency of wood. You practically NEED water or some other liquid to soften it for consumption.
>>
>>34856152
I made a bunch of pemmican once, even used the proper kind of rendered suet. It's god-tier. 1lb will give you all the protein and energy you need in an entire day of hiking.
>>
>>34852792
Finnish MRE packs have crispbread and it works well.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.