[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DENIED.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 3

File: top.jpg (122KB, 1400x425px) Image search: [Google]
top.jpg
122KB, 1400x425px
I got denied on a back ground check recently and filed to find out why it came back that I had a history a treatment for mental health. It was not court mandated that I was found to have psychiatric issues I check myself in to the hospital 5 years ago for depression at a time in my life when I was abusing alcohol. I have been sober since and the depression was related to the alcohol abuse. Has anyone ever appealed for the same issue in the past and how do you go about doing it, I'm on new york State if that helps.

Please no bully
>>
>>34850537
Might it also be a possibility that someone else with your same name has been declared mentally defective/insane/loony by a judge?

One of my friends failed a background check for a job because someone with the same name as him (in the same county, mind you) was arrested for felony possession of a controlled substance.
>>
>>34850537
oops
>>
>>34850537
>WHY ARE YOU AGAINST BANNING PEOPLE WITH MENTAL ILLNESS FROM OWNING GUNS!?!? FAIR COMPROMISE!
>>
>dems will make this happen in the other 49 states
>>
>>34850537
I had the same issue but never got denied
move to a better state
>>
>>34850537
I'd check your state law. Federal law is only for involuntary commitment so that doesn't apply. New York City has the rest of the state by the balls.
>>
>>34850611
Because someone with the good judgement to understand that they need help is responsible enough to own firearms.
>>
>>34850619
Not OP, but when I was 14 I got in the ambulance and went after some coercing.
Is that voluntary? Is involuntary exclusively court order?
>>
>>34850537
>new york State
There's your problem. The deck is stacked by purpose of malignant design. Move. No bully involved.
>>
>>34850623
That isn't necessarily true. Mental health is not so cut and dry.
>>
>>34850537
I was under the impression that you couldn't be denied unless you were forced to go to a psychiatric facility by a judge or something. I've been to a jail psych ward for acting crazy while being arrested and it's never affected my ability to purchase guns. I'm in the process of getting an FFL right now, actually.
>>
>>34850627
I think a judge has to order it.
>>
>>34850654
Depends whether he's talking about his NICS check (in which case you're correct) or some other New York fuckery that happens beforehand.
>>
I was under the impression that it had to be court mandated I'm not sure if MY state has a different criteria. I had minor cases when I was 21 and took a plea deal to go to treatment court upon completion all cases were dropped. I went and go letters from the court to attach to the plea I'm not sure if the court mandating me to inpatient at the time counted towards being psychiatric mandated. This was 5 years ago I have gone into no trouble since then and have been a model citizen. I'm going to get finger prints done at my local precinct and send in the letters with my appeal I'm also wondering if I should get a notarized letter from a physician stating that I am mentally and physically healthy.
>>
>>34850699
ncis check. I've contacted a lawyer about filing for my city permit because they make it so it's almost impossible to get a license now.
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NY_SAFE_Act

It could also be related to this flagrant violation of the 2nd amendment.
>>
>>34850727
NICS check is federal. State law shouldn't enter into it.
>>
>>34850537
>I'm on new york State
I'm sorry to hear that.
>>
its a violation of HIPAA law for them to check your medical records. besides, how would they even know who your doctor is?

OP is not telling the whole truth
>>
>>34850956
I said that I went through treatment court 5 years ago and upon completion all cases were dropped and sealed. Nothing major on the charges but I did have to do inpatient and am wondering if that's counts as court mandated psychiatric treatment
>>
>>34850615
It's federal law, not a state law. Have you ever filled out a 4473?
>>
>>34850537
Sorry to hear that, OP. I haven't had to deal with it myself, but my understanding is that you need a judge's verdict. It sounds like something might've happened that you were't aware of in the court five years ago. We wish you the best! I hope you have something else to shoot with in the meantime. <3
>>
>>34851125
Have my bow and a marlin 30 30 I just wanted a mini 14 I've contacted a lawyer so I guess I'll just wait.
>>
>>34851138
Good luck! We're rooting for you.
>>
>>34851028
Get a lawyer.

>new york state
>mental treatment as "ordered" by a court in exchange for not being charged

If it weren't for these you might not need one(would still be a good idea though), but considering those factors you should probably at least speak to one and get their opinion.
>>
>>34850537
lol when a convicted cocaine dealer can buy a gun but a sad boy cant.
>>
>>34851028
Double check that they didn't fuck up and do a background check on someone with the same name before you pay for a lawyer.
>>
I could drive 20 minutes to Brighton beach and buy a Russian AK with a couple magazines for 1100 but need a lawyer to get a mini from my LGS such is the state of New York.
>>
>>34851229
I gave them my social so I don't think it would be mixed up or would it?
>>
Yeah, that's why you don't do that. Pretty dumb that even if you accept help you fuck yourself over. Not a very good incentive.
>>
this thread pertains to me greatly

i recently started looking into talking to a therapist about depression issues i have been fighting for a couple years now. This is exactly what has stopped me from doing it earlier.

If they take away my ability to buy guns they will be taking away a passion and hobby of mine which i love

I feel your pain op, and best of luck, truly
sincerely,
Anon
>>
>>34851254
Did you ask them that at the time? Every purchase I've done I've used my carry permit instead of going through a background check for the individual purchase so I could be wrong here, but I don't think they send your SSN to NICS.

I just stopped putting it on the form so in case the gun store gets it's 4473s stolen my SSN isn't floating out there.
>>
>>34851296
>I don't think they send your SSN to NICS
it's optional.
>>
>>34851296
The gun store was in upstate NY where I have a little property they were very understandable and told me about filing an appeal and said one of them are going through it. I have no permit because you need one for a pistol and I don't own any.
>>
>>34851303
Then I guess his next course of action would be to try again and ask his FFL to send his SSN in for the check.

>>34851311
Ask them to try again but to send your SSN in along with the other info.

Is your name common?
>>
serves you right for throwing your money to the hospital jew.

be a fucking man and deal with your depression by swallowing it. fucking weak pathetic faggot.
>>
>>34851325
I sent my ssn in an yes it's a common name
>>
>>34851328
Is that what your white trash father told you when he came home drunk and beat your mother as you cried in your room all because he was angry he was a loser in life and blamed your mother for not swallowing you.
>>
>>34851343
What I'm getting at is go back to the gun store, and ask them to specifically send your SSN in with the info for the NICS check. Just because your wrote it on the 4473 doesn't mean the gunstore sent it to NICS.

It's kind of a longshot but it's free vs whatever retarded amount of money a lawyer for this will cost.
>>
>>34850956
In post-SAFE Act NYS mental health professionals can have your name added to a special no-guns list.
>>
>>34851355
i didn't cry when he beat my mother, i knew that women are the weaker sex and she deserves it, also she was getting lazy with our meals. making shit like easy mac and hotdogs and not putting effort into an actual balanced meal.

also she wouldn't keep the fridge stocked with cold brewskies
>>
>>34851368
I'll give it a try when I go back up around labor day and my gf decided she wants the mini 14 I wanted and she's got a very clean record.
>>
>>34851395
Sucks to be from a family that didn't want you I wouldn't know my parents loved me.
>>
>>34851355
>white trash father
I wish I had a white dad...No fucking clue where mine is.
>WHY YOU DO THIS PA THATS FUCKED UP.
>>
>>34851138
>marlin 30 30
How?
>>
>>34851420
sucks to fork out money to a jew to treat your imaginary illness and then can't own guns because it's on your record. you just paid to have your rights taken away, lmao.
>>
>>34851444
At the time seeking help and getting treatment for alcoholism which led to me having a very fulfilling successful life was more important then worrying about future fire arm purchases.
>>
>>34850537
I think about that long ago mental health places got allowed to send information to NICS, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that a NY hospital would be mandated or coerced into doing so for every mental patient. You'll need to find some way to get that scrubbed. Get a lawyer.
>>
File: 20170813_151310.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170813_151310.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>34851441
Grand fathered the rifles and some sport shotguns.
>>
>>34850537
Recently had the same thing OP, pretty much same circumstances.

Thing I don't understand is I have bought other firearms somewhat recently without a snag.

FBI NICS is having me fax over a fingerprint card, hope that will clear up whatever issue there is for myself.
>>
>>34851463
>too weak to be a functioning alcoholic
Are you even white?
>>
>>34851585
>functioning
>alcoholic

Pick one.
>>
guys is it possible to go to my local PD and have a background check done?
>>
>>34850537

No, because I never had an addiction problem and managed my mental health well enough to never check into a fucking facility for grownups to help me feel better.

Fuck you.
>>
>>34850623
Yeah, no. Not even slightly true.
>>
>>34850611
Yet leftards are totally fine with trannies joining the military or owning guns. The ironing.
>>
File: 1497644547068.jpg (201KB, 773x767px)
1497644547068.jpg
201KB, 773x767px
>>34850537

I know that this will trigger many people here but people with a history of mental illness or substance abuse should not possess guns. PERIOD. It shouldn't matter IMHO if you were involuntarily committed or not or not committed at all. A diagnosis by a mental health professional should be sufficient.
>>
>>34854405
Yeah because theres no way that can get abused by antigun shrinks or anything, right?
>>
>>34850537
Jerrik?
>>
>>34854405
Yes let's keep chipping away at gun rights little by little like politicians so with taxes and everything else and then one day we can be just like England
>>
>>34854405
>What's that? You wash your hands a lot? OCD! BAN!
>You don't like large crowds of people? AGORAPHOBIA! BAN!
>You're sad because you can't afford a home in the ridiculously inflated housing market? DEPRESSION! BAN!
>You saw some serious shit during your service in the military/law enforcement/whatever? PTSD! BAN!

Anyone and everyone can be banned from ownership based on the criteria you suggest.
>>
>>34854413
You're not helping your case for mental health by being paranoid.
>>
>>34850537
I have a rather uncommon name (based on a facebook search there are only 5 of me in the states), apparently one of then got a felony, so I got denied because of it. Started putting my SSN and everything is all good now.
>>
>>34851287
You'll be fine unless you get sectioned.
>>
>>34850632
Phil, how long have you been on /k/?
How much of that time have you been a raging faggot?
>>
>>34855986
https://desuarchive.org/k/search/tripcode/%21%21esSirF6LRYN/order/asc/

Desuarchive has him using that tripcode since 2012.
>>
>>34856050
Thanks. Now for the second question
>>
>>34850623
Walt Whitman had enough judgement to know that something was wrong with his brain.
>>
>>34850537

if this did actually happen call a fucking lawyer not /k/
>>
>>34855824
all justifiable. if such little or menial things cause such a reaction, god forbid what might happen when you have access to firearms
>>
>>34857941
Being sad because of sad circumstances is the neurotypical response, fuckboy.

If you put the power in the hands of a profession that changes its minds every decade or two, you're not going to have a good time. Its too vague to base law around.
>>
>>34855843
>>34857941
This would intervene in which incidences, exactly?

The current system isn't so bad, and the problem lies in another area - demographics.
Case in point: there's populations with a homicide rates of 3/100k, 8/100k, 14/100k and 30/100k respectively

Want to guess which is which one?
>>
>>34851615
You can be a functioning alcoholic.
Factory life really steers you towards it.
>>
>>34859677
Asian, Caucasian, Hispanic, African, in that order.
>>
>>34851296
I have a TS so all my info is out there somewhere :D
>>
>>34850537
Hey me too, except the CIA turned me into a cyborg which only served to exacerbate my pre-existing mental instabilities leading to a rampage so extreme it destroyed a small nation.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.