[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Rifle: AK or AR

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 8500.jpg (29KB, 825x245px) Image search: [Google]
8500.jpg
29KB, 825x245px
fewguns here, really wanna get my first real semiauto rifle.

I've settled on getting the Ruger AR 556 or a WASR 10 but I need some help making the decision. The AR seems to be a cut and dry purchase and I dig the cheap modularity but honestly I love the aesthetics of an AK and feel like I would enjoy firing and maintaining it more. The problem is I hear the canted sights/mag wobble thing that apparently those made before 2008 have but there's no telling when one was made if I order it. And I also have a feeling the AR is just a better gun for a beginner. Anyway any input is appreciated, thanks.
>>
get both.
>but anon, i will eventually
if thats the case then just pick the wasr because it sounds like you want that more.
>>
File: wasr_sidemount.jpg (30KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
wasr_sidemount.jpg
30KB, 480x360px
>>34850187
Canted sights still happen on WASRs but it's far less than it was years ago. Inspect the rifle in question before buying.
If you want to know if a WASR is made after 2008, check the left side of the receiver, above the pistolgrip, if it's from after 2008, it should have the scope mount on the there.

Optionally you can always look at a Yugo NPAP, though it won't be able to use furniture for normal AKs (they have a different setup for attachments, meaning if you want to change them you need to get Yugo specific ones).
>>
>>34850275
Jesus, don't get an NPAP over a WASR. NPAPs are shit tier.
>>
File: a man who likes his mallomars.jpg (138KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
a man who likes his mallomars.jpg
138KB, 500x750px
>>34850204
This too, OP would probably enjoy the AK the most. AR15s, particularly entrylevel ones like the Ruger AR556, aren't going anywhere soon, and they're not going to really go up in price, just be patient and save up for a while.

>>34850279
I hear mixed opinions about them.
Supposedly the heat treatment was poor in a batch of them but that was a while ago and I haven't heard any complaints since.
>>
>>34850204
>>34850300
Yeah I'm thinking I'll be able to pick up an MP15 or AR556 for well below 500 at some point in the future, no telling what WASR AKs will cost but probably not below 600 for awhile. And I just needed some validation for wanting to indulge my desire for a weapon I want mostly from using it in video games and whatnot.
>>34850275
Yeah that's about what I've heard, the issue is that it's hard/ i don't know a good method of finding one in a brick and mortar around me. If I get one online there's no verifying any of that.
>>
>>34850187
An AR-15 is the clear-cut, best choice if you had to have one rifle for self defence in the United States.

Ammo will always be available; accessories will always be available; parts will always be available. And all of these things continue to be produced in the country.

AK's are fine, but the days of cheap surplus anything beyond magazines are pretty gone.
>>
>>34850512
>AK surplus
You know that commercial steelcase ammo like Tula and Wolf is cheap as balls, right? Both classic 7.62x39mm and 5.45x39mm. And not to talk about 5.56x45mm

Yeah Tula and Wolf 5.45mm won't be as cheap as the surplus 7n6 ammo, but it's a bit like saying "this 3.5lbs goose isn't as big as that 4.2lbs goose I got earlier, geese just isn't worth it"
You still get plenty of ammo for your dollars.
>>
>>34850187
Go to a range that rents rifles, shoot both and decide from there.

It sounds like you have your heart set on an AK so you'll probably end up buying that. They're both fun, both use relatively cheap ammo, and are common.

Eventually it is practically mandatory for you to buy an AR though. They are super cheap right now so it's a good time to buy.
>>
>>34850187
AR is easier to shoot, and just shoots better in general. AK is easier to maintain supposedly. if you get an AR you want to make sure you clean it thoroughly after every use.
>>
File: Picture29.jpg (23KB, 983x413px) Image search: [Google]
Picture29.jpg
23KB, 983x413px
Just get this one, ATF can't tell the difference anyways
>>
>>34850870
I didn't know they made m93s without the hole in the trigger guard for the foregrip.
>>
>>34850300
Ive owned both and I can defintely say the NPAP was much better. But prices have gone up on them recently and the WASR is defintely a better deal rn
>>
Not OP, but if I'm getting a first AR, would it be wise to just get something simple like an AR556 or M&P Sport, or should I save a few burgers and do something like get a cheap assembled lower and upper and stick them together?
>>
>>34850973
PSA lower + PSA premium upper. From that point you only push two pins in and you have a complete AR.
>>
>>34850597
>10 cents vs 21 cents a round
>basically no difference
>>
For the money:
Range toy: AR
War rifle: AK
>>
>>34851282
Both can be either.
>>
>>34851219
Why premium and what barrel twist?
I remember seeing somewhere that 1:7 doesn't work that well with 55gr for plinking, but 1:9 definitely doesn't work well with heavier rounds.
>>
>>34850187
I always felt that a cheap AR like a M&P 15 Sport 2 or a Ruger AR 556 are more range toys rather than real combat rifles. I'd rather go to war with my Bulgarian AK rather than any of the two ARs - cost wise AKs are much cheaper than ARs in Europe.
>>
>>34850870
Why do this? Serious, why? Is this really a thing?
>>
>>34850187
I was in a similar predicament a year ago: I really like both, and both had basically what I wanted. I ended up going the AR route because feature for feature, I felt the AR was closer to what I wanted than an AK, and would need less tweaking or new furniture I liked more.

Tldr; get what your heart wants first, then get the other later. God knows I still thirst for an AK, and I'll end up getting one.
>>
>>34851274
Show me where to get 7n6 for 10cpr.
And don't say 2010, because that's about as logical as saying that tins of Chinese 7.62x39 was cheap in the 90s so you shouldn't buy any 7.62x39 that's more than $80 a spam can.
>>
>>34850187
Get an AR. They are too cheap not to right now. You can get an AK later.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.