[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WW2 Japanese rifle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: 20170812_160841.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170812_160841.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
So I'm visiting my dad, and he's showing me an old WW2 Japanese Rifle, that was given to him by a friend who had been in WW2. Does anyone know what it is?
>>
Type-99 rifle.
>>
File: 20170812_160851.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170812_160851.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Posting a couple more photos for reference.
>>
>>34842565
Thank you
>>
>>34842559
Hey OP, does it have a 'Mum?
>>
Boosting because I'm still curious about the Mum.
>>
>>34842627
Sorry I'm not sure what a 'mum is?
>>
>>34842724
A chrysanthemum. Take a pic of the top of the receiver.
>>
>>34842627
I'm guessing it means silencer? If so, then no. But it does have a pretty long bayonet.
>>
>>34842738
just tske a pic of the top where the boom booms go in
>>
File: mum.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
mum.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
>>34842724
Oh, sorry. A Mum is a Chrysanthemum. It's a stamp on the top of the receiver where the bolt and the barrel meet. All Arisakas would have one, as it indicated that they were the Emperor's property. However, most got ground off after the surrender. Usually if there is one still there it indicates that this one was captured in combat or was lucky enough to escape defacing. Can you post a picture of the top of the bolt and receiver area?

Pic related.
>>
>>34842762
If we believe this story is true, many of the guns captured after the surrender were ground, too.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275560
>At outprocessing, the US military authorities went through everyone’s gear, and would not let him bring his rifles in until the crests were ground.
I don't know if the numbers of unground rifles add up with this story though.
>>
>>34842762
I'll have to take the pic when I get back home. I'll post later
>>
>>34842884
Okay. If it's got the Mum, it's more valuable. And in case you were wondering, the small hole in the receiver is an over-pressure safety, just in case a cartridge ruptures.
>>
>>34842810
Figures. Even back then they were trying to let the Japanese save their precious honor. How about we take home our war trophies and let the Japanese deal with their loss like men.
>>
>>34842905
Nice, yea I'll look tonight and post some pics. Its in pretty good condition, other than some colonization in the stock
>>
>>34842950
Cool. good luck. Oh, and some stores might carry the ammunition. Could be hard to find, though. It uses a caliber called 7.7x58 Arisaka. Arisaka rifles are reputed for their strength, too, so you've got a good one. Also, it's kind of hard to tell with those photos, so could you take one of the rear sights?
>>
Boost so that it's still here when he posts pics.
>>
>>34842559
Ive always loved my Arisaka, good luck finding ammo for it as its pretty uncommon to find and is fairly expensive at about 30 dollars a box of 20.
This is a great round to reload for and used common components. But its a great reason to get into reloading.
Fun fact you can easily form brass for it from 30-06, .270 and 25-06.
Ballistically the Arisaka type 99 is equal to a .308 so its pretty good for deer.
>>
>>34844570
Really? Do you have extraction issues? 7.7 is a semi-rimmed case. I know that the bullets are .311 so anything intended for .303 British will work.
>>
>>34844584
7.7 is not a semi rimmed case you are thinking of 6.5 Jap. I have reloaded hundreds of rounds of 7.7 formed from range trash 30 06 and have had no issues whatsoever with extraction or case ruptures. I also use .312 bullets and get good accuracy with it. The type 99 is a great platform for re-loaders and is forgiving even with shitty ammo.
>>
>>34842950
How many settlers are on your stock? Are they growing tobacco? It's quite rare to see a tobacco farm on a Japanese stock, this too could increase value.
>>
>>34842724
>Sorry I'm not sure what a 'mum is?
It's the person who gave birth to you.
>>
>>34844854
Nah, it's probably a rice paddy.
>>
>>34844875
Britbong go home.
>>
>>34842559
Most likely a Type 99. The triggerguard and magazine floorplate catch is a dead giveaway.
Also-
Depending on maker/markings, the bayonet can be as valuable as the rifle.
>>
>>34842738
lol
>>
Huh. Still no more pics from OP.
>>
>>34844584
There were 3 types of 7.7 ammunition, Rimmed, semi rimmed and Rimless. (Imagine that logistical nighmare). But all the rifles used rimless ammunition. The rimmed and semi rimmed being used in machineguns.
When you cut down your longer brass make sure you anneal the brass as it may begin to show signs of weakness and failure sooner, nothing catastrophic or anything.
I use .311 dia bullets and they seem to work fine.
I heard a story of a guy who used to take down old corrosive soviet ammo for the slugs and powder for his enfield back when it was cheap.
I bet you could do the same as they all use the same dia bullets.
Another fun fact as far as stripper clips go for the Arisaka you can use Springfield 03, French Mas, and most .308 stripper clips.
>>
>>34846521
Good grief. Between this, the in-fighting, useless special-snowflake submarines, Thermite-tier airplanes, and in adequate tanks, you'd think the Imperial Japs were a bunch of Submissives looking to get anally-raped by the U.S.
>>
File: 1465181564725.jpg (110KB, 592x887px) Image search: [Google]
1465181564725.jpg
110KB, 592x887px
>>34842810
>>34842949
We were trying to respect Jap culture to keep them as allies during the Cold War. Why Hirohito/Showa got to live. It worked out and I can't complain.
>>
>>34846697
Yeah, but they needed to just accept that their previous culture and government was ruinous and shitty.
>>
>>34846654
That's what happens when you steamroll everything in the Pacific. They had no idea what their military would need facing a western power. Hell, the only western power they faced before was Russia and they steamrolled them.

>>34846720
It's hard to accept different ideologies when you have been brainwashed from birth to be loyal to the Emperor. That's why Truman kept Hirohito around after the war,
>>
>>34846720
>they needed to
Apparently they didn't, though.
2/3rds of Arisakas having an etched symbol scratched off isn't gonna harm anyone. Just drives up the prices of non-scratched mum rifles.

Also >>34846741
>>
>>34846741
They faced the Soviets in 1939 and got their asses handed to them. The warning signs were there. Hell, they adopted the Nambu 94 in 1935, a full two years before they invaded China. When your military command is allowing that kind of shoddy design, and you don't even have the material shortages of 1944/45 yet, it should be a very clear warning sign.
>>
>>34846720
Its their culture, theirs, not yours, who are you to demand it be changed to be more in line with yours?
You can be called brainwashed just as much as they can say the same of you.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.