[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Survival Loadout

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: serveimage (1).jpg (63KB, 640x492px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage (1).jpg
63KB, 640x492px
Hi /k/. So I'm trying to get my shit together for SHTF, but I live in Maine so my weapon choices are more built around the idea of hunting small game and not fighting my way out of LA.

To me, it seems like stealth is paramount in a societal breakdown scenario-- any gun report is going to pique the interest of someone nearby, maybe even miles away, who now knows you have at least one weapon and maybe a fresh kill for food.

So I've been mulling it over, and I've decided to go with an initial scheme of a takedown recurve bow (ammo recycling, relative silence) and some form of small game killer.

Should I go with a .22, a frigging spring-fired air rifle, or, as one person suggested-- a .354 mag with various ammo types: .38 special for varmints, .354 hollow points for primate threats, and something with solid lead for larger animals?

Or should I completely rethink this?

I'm also tempted to go with the Henry survival AR-7 since it all packs up nicely in the stock and needs no tools to assemble/disassemble
>>
File: image.jpg (305KB, 1624x976px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305KB, 1624x976px
>>34842003
Mark 23 is always the answer
>>
>>34842033
>.45
So aside from all the bear meat I'll have, I'll be relying on snare traps and fishing nets for food?
>>
>any gun report is going to pique the interest of someone nearby, maybe even miles away, who now knows you have at least one weapon

It's impossible to locate where a single shot came from. So all they know is that there's someone within a few miles that is armed. Which is discouraging, not encouraging.

>and maybe a fresh kill for food.
Also, odds are the person that heard the shot is capable of feeding themselves. Otherwise they'd have starved when society first broke down.
>>
>>34842003
>he not only plans to bug out, but go innawoods
tard
>>
>>34842119
I already live innawoods, I'm planning on sticking near my shit until I can't anymore

>>34842090
You make good points
>>
>>34842003
An over-under shotgun/rifle will offer you the best versatility, even if its just one barrel of each. A triple barrel in .22lr, .223 and .45/70 is possible, and gives you a varmint round, an intermediate rifle round and a brush rifle round
>>
5.45 AK
.44 magnum revolver
Henry take down .22
Your bow.
>>
>>34842212
if you already live in the woods you should be planting fruit/nut trees with black locusts and berry bushes in between. Clearing 3 fields big enough to grow half your yearly needs of oats/wheat/barley/corn and peas/beans in each with one to fallow (~50mx100m). Having 6 10'x4' raised beds for vegetables. Keeping chickens and rabbits. Learning canning, smoking, etc

until you are actually prepared for a shtf you dont need to prep weapons as you have nothing to protect unless you want to be a leech and kill people for a can of beans
>>
>>34843169
>until you are actually prepared for a shtf you dont need to prep weapons as you have nothing to protect unless you want to be a leech and kill people for a can of beans

Proof that /k/ is Dunning Kruger in personam.
>>
>>34843169
Goats and pigs too if you can.
>>
>>34842056
Did you see the picture of the dead grizzly a hunter shot with a .45 slug in his head and it healed until he was shot with a real caliber?
>>
File: baffling.jpg (53KB, 407x405px) Image search: [Google]
baffling.jpg
53KB, 407x405px
why not get a can m8?
>>
>>34842056
You can shoot rabbits with .45, ball ammo goes right through. It doesn't fragment, or expand, or anything. Getting a rabbit with a shotgun will ruin the meat worse than a .45acp
>>
>>34843169
>leech
>kill someone for their food
>this somehow doesn't make you a predator
>>
>>34844104
>telling a predator how to kill you easier
>>
>>34844138
W... what? I responded to someone saying "guns are only for being a leech" by saying "killing a living thing for food so that you may survive is predation"
Have you ever played PUBG? You know how they're always camping, and you always get shot when you walk into a room? That's what happens when you "walk toward gunshots to take the gun," except in real life you can't go press z follow me for 45 seconds after you die.
>>
>>34842003
I have an AR-7. It's a good gun but really picky about ammo. Feed it Mini-Mags or Stingers and it'll serve you well though.
>>
>>34842003
I like the idea of a bow or crossbow, even a simple recurve one. A 12 guage is a good idea for small game on the run, birds in flight, and a slug will kill anything in North America. If you want a dedicated fighting rifle, an AR pistol with a Shockwave brace will set you up well for something that works inside of 300 yards and isn't a total pain in the ass to lug around. A pistol on your hip in your favorite flavor of "I hope I never have to use this" and you're all set.
>>
>>34842003
What part of Maine are you from? Downeast fag reporting in

I don't think stealth will be as paramount as you think it will. This is Maine after all, as long as you're not in the city I think things will stay pretty quiet. Most of the small towns around could pretty easily revert to farm towns like they used to be--at least the ones I grew up near. I think the cityfags will be starving and rioting, but everyone else would be more or less all right. I don't think robbery will be very prevalent--because I think vigilantism will be. All just guessing of course but I grew up in small town Maine and I think it's accurate.

As for your loadout, here's what I suggest:
>Ditch the bow unless you're really, really fucking good with it. Worry less about criminals than about reliably bagging game.
>Consider a 12-gauge for its versatility. Carry birdshot for small game, and buckshot and/or slugs for larger game and self defense.
>If you're not going to carry a firearm that is defense-worthy, add a handgun to your loadout that is.
>Consider a bolt-action .223, if you want one survival rifle to do it all. Ammo is cheap and plentiful for stashing and scavenging, it can take down small game and maybe not destroy all the meat, but could also take down a deer if you're good with it.
>Don't limit yourself too much. Consider a full-sized rifle or shotgun for your main carry, and then a takedown .22 in your pack for small game, plus maybe a handgun for extra protection.
>Consider trapping instead of hunting for small game. Should probably work better for you.

And above all:
>Bug in, don't bug out, unless absolutely necessary! You should own a bow, air rifle, .22, 12-gauge, full-sized hunting rifle, small survival rifle, and handgun. Store them all in your house with shitloads of ammunition, and take whichever ones out that suit the situation each time you venture out to hunt. Don't feel like you have to take just one.
>>
>>34843169
It sucks, I had like 20-40 rabbits, 7 goats, a cow, 5 pigs, and billion quail 2 summers ago... But that was mostly my wife who was crazy good at it and we've split up and sold all the animals in the process...

But at least I learned a lot about how to keep/process them all. Now I just have 0 livestock.

My property is actually overrun with delicious blackberry bushes, I suppose it's that time of year to learn to preserve them.
>>
>>34844878
Is that what this is really about, anon? Do you feel abandoned by people so read that into society abandoning you?
>>
>>34844609
Quality post, thanks fellow Mainer.

Yeah, that's the problem. I'm right near to Portland down in the marsh, got quite a chunk of woods, but more and more rich people move in and set up shop around us. I really would like to stay here in the event of a major happening, especially since I used to dig clams for a living and there's tons of other good food in the marsh/surrounding woods, but I'm afraid if it happens during the summertime, it's going to be the tourist hunting season meme but for real.
>>
>>34844925
Lol probably. Mind if I lay down on this couch?

Nah I was always thinking about this shit before I met her, part of the reason I was so attracted was because she had lots of animal husbandry experience and was similarly minded about survival stuff

I learned a lot from her, actually
>>
>>34843367
I fucking love goats, pigs are fun too but a lot more to handle/contain. Goats are almost better than dogs for companionship and entertainment, but they are so fugging loud growing up.

Also I want to keep animals again, but it really becomes a second part time job-- if I was self employed again I'd do it but I'm working for the man, it takes all my hours and energy.

Chickens I could probably do though.
>>
>>34844950
Well, there's your problem. Run the fuck away from Portland and go further up north. Plenty of jobs everywhere in Maine right now so that shouldn't be an issue, sell your land and buy some further up. Go as close to the Allagash as you're willing to while still being within reach of civilization. If you're really concerned about survival that's the place to be, no one will come there and if they do they won't survive. Seriously screw Portland.
>>
>>34845040
Can't sell it unfortunately, it's still my father's land, I'm just squatting. But yes, if life goes that far without a major happening, my plan is to pack it all up and head to the lakes and mountains. Everyone up there is basically already in survival living mode anyway, it's great to see
>>
>>34842003
Primary objection to your loadout:

You're bugging in, so weight and bulk are non-issue. Therefore it makes sense to have a LOT of guns and ammo, perhaps even redundancies for fighting guns if you have any noguns friends/family that know where you are and might want to help you or need protection.

>Inb4 just kill and eat them

This meme desperately needs to die^

My suggestion would be to stock up on .22 LR and a very accurate .22 bolt action, and a dope chart on the side of the stock.

Also, if you are planning for any SHTF scenario where blue helmets aren't the primary threat consider ponying up for some suppressors because when the ATF office is overgrown and empty it won't matter if you're on a registry. The most important cans for SHTF are .22, 30 Cal rifle, and 45 Cal pistol unless you have planned your firearm collection carefully for can and ammo compatibility.

In a world where game is smart and skittish enough to avoid a HUGELY inflated predator population it is going to be hard to get close enough to hit them with a shotgun, let alone a bow or handgun.

The anon who recommended a mk 23 is obviously not a handgun hunter and is memeing at you.

The anon who recommended the crossbow has his head in the right place, but doesn't have significant experience with crossbows or he'd understand some of their fatal flaws as SHTF weapons. The two most important are:

>Crossbows are MUCH louder than a bow with string silencers, to the point that even relatively large and slow game can and will dodge the subsonic bolt because it's so much slower than the sound of the string and limbs.

>Crossbow strings have a VERY short service life, especially on high poundage crossbows. Mine recommends a string change every 600 shots.

In your situation, assuming you have a bucket of money and no existing firearms collection, I'd go with a Remington 700 in 300AAC for hunting, a 10.5 in AR pistol with Shockwave brace also in 300AAC, a Savage FV/SR mk2...
>>
>>34847982
a ~60 lb draw weight compound bow, a boatload of .22 ammo, a Nikon prostaff-22, ~1000 rounds of 300AAC subsonic, 2x fighting load of 300 AAC supersonic, a .22 can, a 300 AAC surefirr can, a nice 1-6 FFP AICSS reticle scope for the Remington 700, and a holosun red dot (solar panel variety) for the AR pistol, then surefire triprong QD muzzle brakes for both the 700 and pistol.

Also, obviously do the farming stuff and maybe consider a full power hunting rifle if you have extended sightlines around you, but if you want to shelter in place and that's not part of your immediate environment it's not a necessity.
>>
>>34845022
Chickens are easy if you build a large, protective coop. See backyard chicken websites. I have ten (8 laying hens) which would keep me from starving but twenty or thirty is better. Learn what breeds do well in your area, and have two roosters so both compete for hen love and take better care of their hens. (Mine call their hens in at night as do most, and one even rounds up extras who don't come in on time.)

Remember hand tools and skill go a long way. Become a mechanic if you aren't already.

If noise is worry, make silencers, test them then store in sealed PVC underground. Cache ammo and other supplies in cemented PVC. You can saw or break them open if needed in future.
>>
>>34842003
>I live in Maine
maine has rivers doesn't it? find a fishing hole dude. line and lures are light as hell. shit, you could even build a fish trap out of twigs.
>>
File: AimAssist.jpg (60KB, 600x518px) Image search: [Google]
AimAssist.jpg
60KB, 600x518px
>>34842003
Related question selfishly pasted from another thread with no answer:
Looking to buy rifle based on ammo choice...
Low level of technical firearm knowledge.

Will /k/ advise?: re cheapest/best ammo?

Something that can hunt deer...
I'm thinking, if I can hunt a deer with it, I can probably deter bipedal hostiles as well.
Advise of answer and flaws in reasoning, pls.
>>
>>34851662
Any bolt action in .223. Ruger American will be cheapest. Use bonded bullets for hunting, regular issue for defense and practice. Put a 3x9 Burris on top and a good sling and go shooting. No tacticool shit. Gunbot helps you shop for cheap ammo. Good luck and STOP FUCKING SPAMMING.
>>
File: 1499819482194.jpg (1MB, 1920x1585px) Image search: [Google]
1499819482194.jpg
1MB, 1920x1585px
>>34851704
thanks!
:) sorry
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.