[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important is energy in a pistol cartridge?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1447899074480.jpg (580KB, 1200x745px) Image search: [Google]
1447899074480.jpg
580KB, 1200x745px
How important is energy in a pistol cartridge?
>>
>>34835049
what are you, simple?
>>
>>34835049
Not as important as your ability to place rounds where you want them.
>>
>>34835049
Well, considering the bullet will just sit there without any i'd say it's extremely important.
>>
1. Having a gun is better than not having one.
2 A gun that works is better than one that does not.
3 Its important to hit your target.
4 Its better to have more bullets than you need than to have less.
5 Bigger bullets are better bullets.
>>
Depends on if you're a facklerfag or courtneycunt

http://www.ballisticstestinggroup.org/woundballistics.html
>>
>>34835049
Is it just me or do pics like this seem a little misleading? the difference between 9mm and .45 always seems a lot more to me in person than it does in these super zoomed up pics
>>
>>34835089
> Bigger bullets are better bullets.

Bigger in terms of what? Diameter? or Weight?
>>
>>34835087
Yeah, but how important is it in terms of incapacitating someone?

>124gr +P 9mm has 413 ft-lbs
>180gr 10mm has 708 ft-lbs

Does that increase make a difference considering these are pistol cartridges?
>>
>>34835120
As big in all dimensions as you think you're man enough to handle.

>>34835196
>Yeah, but how important is it in terms of incapacitating someone?
>incapacitating

A ~300fps .177 bb to the eye is pretty incapacitating.
>>
>>34835196
Better choice would be 165gr 10mm if you're trying to compare apples to apples. Which is better depends on a lot of factors. Given equally quality bullet design the 135 should be able to expand wider than the 124 with a similar or greater penetration depth. Having more energy and surface area to transfer it at any given depth should make it better at penetrating/shattering things like bone as well.

If penetration is all that's important and overpenetration is largely a myth then round for round the bullet with more than the bare minimum of energy required is likely going to be a much surer method of incapacitating a medium sized mammal than the one that just has adequate energy for doing the task.

People aren't exactly light game and tend to do things like hide behind barriers, present extremely poor targets, and shoot at you that makes a round with enough oomph to make the most of the good shots you do make seem like an understandable choice.

After all real life isn't the movies and you're more likely to die because your first round only blew up a guys heart and stopped somewhere in the thoracic cavity giving him time to fire back at you as opposed to cracking his spine and dropping him immediately than you are because you didn't have 15rnds on tap
>>
>>34835120
Bullet effectiveness is a measured combination of, Weight, velocity, caliber and shape.
>>
>>34835049

I didn't know proximity to a first world hospital and skill/restedness of the on call trauma surgeon could be measured in foot-pounds.
>>
Don't most experts agree that energy transfer to the target isn't a significant wounding factor with handgun rounds? I think adequate penetration is by far most important
>>
>>34835049
Pretty important for lazguns.
>>
>>34837370
Probably.

If energy transfer was as critical for handguns, more people would carry .357 Magnum or 10mm, I'm sure.
>>
File: 1496296586566.jpg (7KB, 249x214px)
1496296586566.jpg
7KB, 249x214px
>>34835516
>>
>>34835049
Not at all, the ideal CC carry pistol would be .17 HMR with a 100 round mag.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.