[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

movi/tv guns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 1502388974080[1].jpg (707KB, 1988x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1502388974080[1].jpg
707KB, 1988x3000px
why are M14/Mini14s so commonly used for the working bits in prop guns?
>>
>>34821668
or should I say "was so commonly used". since these days everything seems to be an AR or AK.
>>
>>34821668
Because Hollywood is in California
>>
Probably a lot of them in the auto registry
>>
>>34821668
Because blanks work well with them
>>
>>34821668

Exposed action shows more moving parts, making it more visually exciting
>>
>>34821668
Because no one else wants them
>>
>>34821668
They make the Hollywood commandos wet.
>>
>>34821726
going with this guy
>>
>>34821668
they cycle blanks
>>
>>34821668
they eat blanks like a champ, and they can be put into a nice small little package so you can add scfi grubbins to em to make laser guns. and they have been a real long time. what else would you stick inside a big plastic laser blaster? m10s and uzis were also super popular, but they have those pistol grip magazines, which is another thing to build around, a mini 14 could have anyfake grip simply bolted on.

>getting M16s and AKs for movies was a huge problem pre 90's. there was a time when getting an exported AK was a super big deal, and getting a hold of a Vietnam pattern M16 was nearly impossible, so they had to kitbash all sorts of stuff. Caidian film crews were able to get past some name ban stuff for a while at least. that's why stargate sg1 had real colt commandos and such
>>
>>34821668
They're more reliable than AR's.
>>
>>34821668
Mini14s were super popular in the 80s
>>
>>34826533
why would that fucking matter for film and TV you dumbass?
>>
>>34821668
Because the M14 action is reliable as fuck.
>>
Because there were a bajillion of them they could buy by the crate-load
>>
>>34827042

Because if a weapon malfunctions in the middle of a scene it ruins the entire take. Worst case scenario, they have to start the scene from scratch. With five actors on the stage and ten techs and various expensive effects wasted, that malfunction could end up costing several million dollars. So yeah, reliability matters.
>>
>>34821668
Is that from that episode where they go to test some VR game and get trapped inside of it?
>>
>>34821668
They are available, .223 blanks are plentiful, and unlike the AR it has no buffer tube so it's easier to build a crazy scifi shell over the gun.
>>
>>34828754
Yep. Gillian Anderson turned 49 yesterday too.
>>
>>34830365
She's only 49? Fug.
>>
>>34828724
What a shitpost.
>>
>>34830475
>practical effects are free
>so are hourly employees
I take you're implying they can just sit there reshooting scenes all day at no cost or consequences because the prop guns refuse to cooperate?

Because if you are, you are retarded.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.