[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ is anyone in the National Guard or know much about it? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

File: national-guard.jpg (89KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
national-guard.jpg
89KB, 600x400px
/k/ is anyone in the National Guard or know much about it? I'm 27 and at that point where I'm about to start college, finally, but nothing seems interesting on a career level. Special Forces in the National Guard though seems very interesting and has for quite awhile. Just unsure about that first step. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
>>
SF for the Guard is HQ'd in Utah and has a few small detachments in Texas and I think Iowa. If you are actually serious about going SF, then you might as well just go active duty because pretty much all NG SF dudes are full time anyway. I hope you are some crossfit superstar because you'll need to be to make it through selection, especially at age 27.
>>
>>34821487
I've been training in muay thai and bjj for fighting for a few years and have used that to get in shape mainly. I gym 3-4 times a week, I feel fairly confident. Still have no idea what to expect.
>>
>>34821487
Also I am leaning towards active. I need to just make a big change in my life and this really feels like it could be it.
>>
I dont know how fucked SF are in NG though so I am also open to basic infantry or munitions perhaps.
>>
one more bamp
>>
>>34821461

Current nasty girl.

Florida is home to 3/20th SFG out of Camp Blanding IIRC.

They get put on ADT/Orders for training for 2-3 months at a time. They train so much you might as well just go Regular Army.
>>
File: 1487895260378.jpg (156KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1487895260378.jpg
156KB, 960x960px
>>34821461
What are the fitness requirements? I can run a 8 minute mile and do 30 pushups in a minute.
>>
>>34822066
I could but I dont know, I kind of just prefer National Guard, hell I'd join Coast Guards before Army.
>>
>>34822087
17 minute maximum time for 2 miles
45+ push ups in 2 minutes
45+ sit ups in 2 minutes

for basic infantry and etc. so you should be good honestly.
>>
>>34822139

National Guard is a component of the US Army.

Idiot.
>>
>>34821487
They have more detachments than you think.

Good friend was an 0321. Got outa missed it, and joing the NG a few years later. Made it through SFRE, got a spot at SFAS, got selected, then went through the SFQC. Earned his long tab. His civilian employer held his job for him. He did several deployments before getting out. All this while holding a full time job and in the guard.
>>
>>34822170
o
>>
>>34822172

Longggggggg tab for a long dick.
>>
File: Om6k6gY.jpg (49KB, 673x739px) Image search: [Google]
Om6k6gY.jpg
49KB, 673x739px
>>34822182

Did you not think there might be a reason we're wearing the same uniform?
>>
>>34822172
god damn impressive on him man
>>
>>34822202
well i do now. hyuk.
>>
>>34822207
There were quite a few guys in his NG unit who were not prior AD SF guys.
>>
>>34822219

you'd be a perfect fit for coast guard

>department of transportation

lel
>>
>>34822233
thank you. im thinking about it
>>
File: IMG_0811.jpg (19KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0811.jpg
19KB, 480x480px
I'm an English teacher; how compatible is the standard public school year with NG training? I'd like to earn extra money for grad school but I can't afford to abandon my class if I'm expected to arrive early for weekend drill.
>>
>>34822283

Depending on your command, typically from brigade, they set the schedule. If you are in an infantry unit like myself, those weekends your recruiter promised actually turn into more of a 3-4 and sometimes 5 day drill "weekends". I would get in touch with a local recruiter and see what their unit scheduling looks like. It'll change year by year depending on requirements, and if you're deployable, or going to be deployed.
>>
>>34822283
My buddy in the SF unit went well, well beyond the 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year. The guys were constantly training. Either prepping for SFAS, or shooting, or whatever. A lot of the training wasnt "official." He used a lot of vacation time to make drills.
>>
>>34822283
Two Officers in my unit are high school teachers and seem to be doing just fine with the schedule.
>>
>>34822139
Don't even join because you're completely fucking retarded. You won't even make it through Basic. If you're not willing to do your DD then you absolutely won't make it in SF, either.

Join the Air Guard, get a technical certificate from them and start a career. Robot repair will be a huge field the more popular automation becomes.
>>
I just joined the National Guard
Leave for Basic in October

AMA
>>
>>34822398
whats DD
>>
File: Best_ww1.jpg (62KB, 591x512px) Image search: [Google]
Best_ww1.jpg
62KB, 591x512px
>>34822416
so the basic training is just like for active duty right? or am I acoustic? also what was the process of going to a recruiter like?
>>
>>34821461
I'm a TX nasty girl 11B. I have a buddy who's still in the 18X pipeline for the unit in utah. I'll check the thread for a bit if you have a few questions.
>>34822283
Far as I know, a lot of units try to do their AT (2 week training) over the summer. But it's best to talk to your potential unit and see what the schedule actually looks like.
>>
>>34822472
is nasty just slang for national? also have you ever been sent over seas? any combat?
>>
>>34822458
You will go to BCT/OSUT just like any other AD soldier. In fact you will train with AD soldiers, and the banter will be real, they'll get buttblasted as the end of training arrives and you get to go home while they get shipped off to a random base.
Recruiting is a bunch of bullshit and filling out forms, people are gonna try to meme you into doing things that you wont enjoy, because it helps them. Its a microcosm of the real army :) It's not that bad, ask questions and know that you have all the power until you sign that contract. And most importantly know what you want before you sign.
>>
>>34822458
Yes. The National Guard (Air/Army) is a component of those two branches. You get the same training, go to the same schools, and have access to everything active duty has.

I'll be doing One Station Unit Training (Basic and AIT at the same place) in Ft Benning. I signed on as an 11C.

Getting in contact with a recruiter is fairly easy. Look online for a local one, perhaps they have an office. If you're dead-set on Guard, talk to both Air and Army recruiters.
>>
>>34822500
i imagine the stigma in military is that national guard and coast guards and GUARD in general is shit on by active duty high up solders correct?
>>
>>34822495
It's what AD guys call us, it's an insult I think. But honestly most of us NG guys are laid back so we just roll with it. I'm supposed to deploy before the year ends to Africa (don't wanna say too much b/c opsec). I've only been in a year, so It'll be my first. Never seen combat, doubt I'll see any where I'm going. Hope I go tho, rumor is that deployments are in short supply nowadays.
>>
File: 1474226139597.jpg (21KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1474226139597.jpg
21KB, 480x480px
>>34822500
somebody once told me that basic training is like the movie full metal jacket, please tell me its not...
>>
>>34822521
Pretty much, they're all assblasted that while they're getting molested by the 1st sgt. We get to play Jodie for most the month. And we get paid from our real jobs alongside our gov't pay.
Unless you're a NEET
>>
>>34822533
see thats what I am excited about if I go through with this all. Is the traveling, that sounds incredible.
>>
>>34822534
God no not even close. I did OSUT at Ft. Benning with F 1-19. The drills will make you do loads of PT at random times and belittle you, but they wont beat you. Some drills will mindfuck you and such, but near the end they start to act like bros. Some do anyway
>>
>>34822087
I Would definitely play in that mud.
>>
>>34822571
what do you mean mindfuck? any examples?
>>
>>34822571
thank god, I assume PT stands for physical training, that leads me to assume that basic gets you into shape rather than being something you need to be in shape to do, right?
>>
>>34822554
Honestly it's pretty unlucky timing for me, I really wanna finish college before I go anywhere. I'm right in the middle of my major's hard courses. But I dont get much a say haha. But I am a little excited. The older guys say its gonna be boring as fuck tho.
>>
>>34822591
im about to start college myself and im curious how thatll go if i enlist in the middle of it. im trying to either major in criminal justice or history. i dont even know what i want to do though still, hence the post and the questions about national guard.
>>
>>34822590
You will do yourself so much of a favor if you can pass the PT test minimums before you go. Seriously the only thing that scared me at basic was failing PT test 3 and getting recycled (start over day 1 with another unit). I couldnt run for shit, my Pushups/ Situps was like 80% on each but my run was sooo bad. But yeah, we only had like 10 guys out of 200ish that failed pt test 3, and they were all scumbags. They will make sure you get into shape. But make sure to do your extra PT in the bay at night.
>>34822588
They'll do all kinds of silly shit. Like for april fools they pulled out all our phones and had us wait to turn them on. Once we all had them they told us April fools, and took them all back (we hadnt seen our phones for 5 weeks and no mail had come yet) so that hurt the ol' morale. They'll play games that you can't win and everyone will get fucked etc. It can be fun epending on how you look at it. It is the source of most of my OSUT stories haha
>>
>>34822614
I went in the fall of my 2nd year. I'm like a semester behind now. I didn't recycle so it was basically a semester of army shit instead of classes. If you aren't in a hard science or something where you lose skills (math, chem, etc) then going in the middle of college is not bad. And the tuition asssist is insane. TX pays for like 90% of my school now at a major univeristy.
>>
>>34822653
what kind of food do they give you in basic? My uncle was in the army in the mid 90's and said that you just eat it and dont ask what it is, accurate?
>>
>>34822743
Yeah, youll be too hungry to care. Youll learn to like it.
>>
>>34822743
The more in depth answer is, a meat, veggies, and usually some kind of pasta with bread
>>
>>34822799

I remember reception and Fort Benning, 30th AG, fucking DFAC had waffles that were brick hard. Couldn't chew them.
>>
>>34823095
30th is hell on Earth. But I actually loved their sausage links.
>>
>>34823139

They were actually greasy, pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>34821461
consider joining the coast guard they do many anti drug and terrorism things, also anti piracy is bretty cool/ dont have to go fuck knows where like the navy
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.