[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turning m855 armor piercing by oil quenching it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (60KB, 558x684px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 558x684px
So I just had an idea.
The steel penetrator in m855 Isn't hardened but could you harden it?
Say you heated up the bullet to a thousand degrees Fahrenheit and then did an oil Quench.
You would do this with the bullet facing down since I assume the bottom is exposed lead and you wouldn't want that to run out the bottom.
Would this work in hardening the steel penetrator or the lead? Or is direct exposure needed as in no jacket?

Also another thing.
Where can you get bullet jackets? Just bullet jackets.
Could you take normal fmj projectiles and heat them up to 700 degrees and Melt all the lead out from the bottom?
>>
>>34805652
The lead would boil out
The jacket would deform
Steel probably wouldnt harden correctly
>no, but go ahead and try it, post results
>>
>>34805652
No for >>34805666 reasons and there isn't enough carbon in the steel to harden.
>>
You would melt the lead, and upon contact with water, the molten lead would pop, or explode in a sense. Molten lead and water don't mix well.
>>
>>34805652
>The steel penetrator in m855 Isn't hardened
It is hardened to 40-45 HRC.
>>
>>34805652
Easier to drill a hole in its backside and stick a hardened chunk of high carbon steel in there
>>
>>34805652
>not using depleted uranium
what are you, poor?
>>
>>34805666
melt the lead out first, then refill after hardening?
>>
>>34806362
L-lewd!
>>
File: 1497019539291.png (176KB, 658x545px) Image search: [Google]
1497019539291.png
176KB, 658x545px
>>34806373
>>not using osmium
t. poorfag
>>
File: jordan-smaller-1024x683.jpg (102KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
jordan-smaller-1024x683.jpg
102KB, 1024x683px
>>34805652
there's just so many things wrong with this post
it's as though you've spent your entire life locked in a basement watch bad anime , then in the first 5 minutes of being allowed on the internet you manage to come here and make this post

Tell me about your father and all the ways that he failed you

also clean your room
>>
>>34805673
>>34806355
What exactly is the composition of the steel bit?
>>
I got an idea.

A company sells 5.56 hollow points, and it sells tungsten fishing weights. The tungsten f8shing weights just happen to screw into the hollow point ammo they sell.

AP ammo and the atf can't do anything about it.
>>
>>34808218
What does this have to do with the ATF? It's not illegal to manufacture or possess armor piercing rifle ammunition. Only handgun ammo is restricted from importation but not manufacturing nor purchase in the USA.
>>
>>34805652
Here's a thought.
Just use a solid copper bullet.
It's cheaper and already proven.
You go from $.25 to $1.30 a round, though.
>>
>>34805652
I think you can harden it when the Steel has more than 0.3-0-5% C.

Heat it up to 1000°C and put it in Oil
Heat it at 200°C for 30mins
>>
>>34808229
but since you can make AR-15 PIstols and you can get ar-15 uppers for most every calibre, doesn't this mean that most every calibre counts as "handgunazine ammunition"? So the handgun ammo piercing ban really is a general AP ammo ban. Fucking lizzurds, I knew the AR-15 meme had a fucking downside
>>
>>34808256
No, 5.56 is specifically exempted from the armor piercing handgun ammunition ban. 5.45 and 7.62x39 are not because they're all imported but if someone made domestic ammo I think that would still be OK.
>>
>>34808281
Fun control laws are dumb.
>>
>>34805666
Not necessarily so. Copper jackets are tougher than what you would expect. I melt range lead and the sometimes a intact bullet will slip in. They can swell quite a lot from the heat/pressure.

I try to hit them with a hammer to break the jacket first usually.
>>
File: Waterworld.jpg (191KB, 1199x806px) Image search: [Google]
Waterworld.jpg
191KB, 1199x806px
>>34805652
>Okay so this one time I was taking apart a nugget round for lulz , already had it apart but wanted to go further.
>Figure I'd just melt the lead and have a blob of lead the jacket and steel core.
>Pull out the blowtorch and start heating the boolit ... BANG ! , the steel core shot out the back of the bullet.
>Lucky I didn't have the thing pointed at my face , feel like idiot
>Still surprise the hydraulic pressure from the expanding lead could do that

> this could have been my face
>>
>>34808173
>What exactly is the composition of the steel bit?
1045 steel.
>>
File: 5.8.jpg (69KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
5.8.jpg
69KB, 800x600px
>>34805652
You can harden that little nub of steel all you want, it won't be AP.
You will need an actual AP core.
>>
>>34808218
Which company?
>>
>>34805682
>water
how's third grade reading comprehension going for you
>>
>>34805652
No. Ignoring the deformation of the jacket and the lead, you'd need a higher temperature for the steel and then you would still need to temper it.
>>
>>34808970
Again, you can skip all this bullshit and just buy solid copper bullets and load them hot.
It's what the current M855A1 project is looking into because of the cost savings and armor penetration.
>>
>Army Times, 08 March 2010
>Deadlier round DENIED: Push for lead-free slug means soldiers won’t get Marines’ new 5.56 ammo
>Special Operations Command and now the Marine Corps are fielding a deadlier 5.56mm round, but the Army says soldiers can’t have it. Instead, the service is holding on to its dream of environmentally friendly ammunition.
>Army ammunition officials are on their third attempt at redesigning the Cold War-era M855 5.56mm round by adding a better-performing, lead-free bullet. The service had to halt the M855A1 Lead-Free Slug program in July when the new bullet failed to perform under high temperatures. The setback delayed fielding by nearly a year.
>The newest version of the green round is in the live-fire test phase and Army officials said they are confident it will be ready for combat use by June.
>The Marine Corps, however, doesn’t share this confidence. The Corps has dropped its plans to field the Army’s M855A1 and approved the new SOST round for Marines to use in Afghanistan. SOST, short for Special Operations Science and Technology, is SOCOM’s enhanced 5.56mm round. It isn’t green, but it is deadlier than the current M855 round and it’s available now, Marine officials say.
>The first attempt featured a tungsten-nylon blend that didn’t perform well and proved to be almost as harmful to the environment as lead.
>Another attempt, with the M855A1 LFS, appeared to be the solution. The new round was made of a bismuth-tin alloy with a steel penetrator. Army officials said the M855A1 provided more “consistent performance” than the M855 round and performed better against barriers such as wind- shields and car doors.
>The Army had planned to start issuing the first of 20 million M855A1 rounds last August, until an 11th-hour problem surfaced when some of the bullets did not follow their trajectory or intended flight path. The slug proved to be sensitive to heat.
>>
>>34809769
>The latest setback led the Army to search for a new lead-free slug material and prompted the Marine Corps, which was interested in the M855A1, to go with SOCOM’s new 5.56mm round instead.
>“We put our money toward SOST because of the lead-free failure,” said Chief Warrant Officer-5 Jeffrey Eby, the Corps’ senior gunner. “That lead-free bullet in the last six months just fell apart on them under extreme heat.”
>SOST rounds have similar ballistics to the M855 round, meaning combat troops don’t have to adjust to using the new ammo, military officials say.
>Using an open-tip match round design common with some sniper ammunition, SOST rounds are designed to stay on target better than existing M855 rounds after penetrating windshields, car doors and other objects.
>Compared with the M855, SOST rounds also stay on target longer in open air and have increased stopping power, according to Navy Department documents obtained by Marine Corps Times.
>At 62 grains, they weigh about the same as most NATO rounds, have a typical lead core with a solid copper shank and are considered a variation of Federal Cartridge Co.’s Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw round, which was developed for big-game hunting and is touted in a company news release for its ability to crush bone.
>>
>>34809787
>SOCOM developed the new round, formally known as the MK318 MOD 0, for use with the Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle, or SCAR, which needed a more accurate bullet because its short barrel, at 13.8 inches, is less than an inch shorter than the M4 carbine’s.
>SOCOM first fielded the SOST round in April, said Air Force Maj. Wesley Ticer, a spokesman for the command. It also fielded a cousin — MK319 MOD 0 enhanced 7.62mm SOST ammo — designed for use with the SCAR-Heavy, a powerful 7.62mm battle rifle.
>SOCOM uses both kinds of ammunition, Ticer said.
>The Corps purchased a “couple million” SOST rounds as part of a joint $6 million, 10.4-million round buy in September — enough to last the service several months in Afghanistan, Marine Corps officials said.
>Despite the popularity of the SOST, the Army isn’t backing away from its goal to perfect its green M855A1 round.
>“SOST is a good round, but SOST is not a lead-free slug,” said Lt. Col. Tom Henthorn, chief of the Small Arms Branch at the Soldier Requirements Division at Fort Benning, Ga.
>The Army will continue to develop an environmentally friendly 5.56mm, as well as a lead-free 7.62mm bullet, Henthorn added, “because we care about the environment.”
>Small arms training accounts for about 2,000 metric tons of lead going into the environment every year, Army officials say. The Army first began its quest for green ammunition in response to environmental groups that pressured some states to prohibit some National Guard units from using their training ranges.
>Run-off from lead-contaminated soil can contaminate water sources that supply communities located near the ranges, environmental groups maintain.
>>
>>34809802
>“We do have real reasons why we are doing this,” said Chris Grassano, product manager for Maneuver Ammunition Systems. Grassano, however, did say that the Army does not have a “significant percentage” of training ranges that have been closed because of lead damage to the environment. The latest M855A1 design features a solid copper slug instead of bismuth-tin. During production qualification testing, Army testers will shoot 400,000 rounds of the new version, making the M855A1 “the most tested round we have ever developed,” said Lt. Col. Jeff Woods, product manager for Small and Medium Caliber Ammunition.
>The new round addresses the consistency problems of the M855, but Army ballistics officials said “we are not at liberty to compare it to SOST,” Grassano said.
>While copper is more expensive than lead, Army officials said they could not provide a cost estimate for the M855A1 compared to the current M855.

Sorry for the wall of text. Last I heard, Solid Copper was the best contender for replacing the 855 but everyone is preferring the SOCOM penetrator so far.
>>
I mean OP is dumb and his idea is dumb, but looking at that cross section has me wondering, how hard would it be to cast your own copper-jacketed bullets? Or is the jacket pressed into shape?
>>
>>34809890
just buy a swager, squeeze jackets onto whatever you want.
>>
>>34805652
The core isn't the correct shape for armor penetration, heating the steel would deform the entire bullet, and it would harden unevenly.

Just take an ordinary FMJ bullet, drill out the center of the bullet with a bench press and put a tool-grade rod of tungsten in before resealing it with lead.
If you can find a way to do it reasonably repeatably you'll have a much better bullet than blacktip, you'll just also be throwing an immense amount of time and money away.
>>
>>34808150
>not using superfluid free neutrons held together by nothing but gravity and degeneracy pressure.
Its 2017 for christs sake!
>>
>>34812763
you'll also be irradiating yourself if you're using tungsten welding rods for this
>>
>>34808281
I thought Hornady was making some 5.45x39??
>>
>>34813460
You're irradiating yourself just living on the surface of this planet. Hurry up and kys

>welding
who the fuck said anything about welding anyway?
>>
>>34809822
>posting the army times

You would get better, more reliable news from the onion.
>>
>>34813894
that's usually what people use for tungsten rod to homebrew ap penetrators, i just thought it was it was an interesting thing to know if anyone was planning on following your suggestion.
>>
File: 1500849201484.jpg (108KB, 1181x897px) Image search: [Google]
1500849201484.jpg
108KB, 1181x897px
>>34813438
>not firing entire neutron stars
>>
>>34805652
Anon, you're better off exploring solid designs like brass and copper, other materials as well. Their only downside is cost, but solid brass 5.56 projectiles are nasty as fuck for penetration.
>>
>>34814472
tungsten is not typically radioactive
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>34815630
http://www.iem-inc.com/information/radiation-sources/useful-radioactivity/welding-rods

i remember reading that cutting and sharpening them produced significantly more unpleasantness than just welding with them.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.