[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /k/ i think this is my first time posting on this board so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8

File: cyka blyat.jpg (42KB, 299x470px) Image search: [Google]
cyka blyat.jpg
42KB, 299x470px
hey /k/ i think this is my first time posting on this board so sorry if im missing some sort of /k/ guide but..

ive been going to a local gun range recently and am wanting to purchase a gun for home defense. was thinking a shotgun of some sort was the best bet considering i live in a 1k square foot, 1 floor house with only a few rooms.

are there any recommended guns you would recommend to me, or would i be better off with a pistol for my intended purposes?

thanks in advance for any info
>>
File: 1495984015392.jpg (250KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1495984015392.jpg
250KB, 640x960px
>>34795372
Welcome to /k/. If you have no intention of carrying a firearm outside of your home, I'd recommend an AR15 chambered in 5.56. A rifle is much easier to use than either a pistol or a shotgun, and is much more lethal to a would-be attacker than a handgun. Make sure that you get a weapon light for whatever gun that you choose.
>>
File: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaboss.jpg (27KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaboss.jpg
27KB, 500x500px
>>34795372
Welcome

First thing you gotta know

I'm the boss of this gym
>>
>>34795399

i appreciate your input and i will definitely look into that. i dont intend to leave my house with it, save for going to a range. i dont have to go through any crazy regulations to obtain one correct? my state (nc) allows you to buy shotguns from places like walmart if you wish

also are there larger chains or franchises i suppose that are better to buy from? save for pawn shops (which im not to keen on getting a gun from seeing as how i currently have little knowledge on how to judge its condition) i believe places like bass pro shop are probably the largest shops near me that sell firearms

>>34795409
why dont you take off that jabroni outfit?
>>
>>34795423
Hey buddy I think you got the wrong door, the leather club's two blocks down.
>>
File: 1500954132533.png (3KB, 408x240px) Image search: [Google]
1500954132533.png
3KB, 408x240px
>>34795423
As long as you are not a felon, it should be as simple as filling out a 4473 and passing a background check at an FFL. You could always check out some of the gun stores in your area, and possibly order something online and have it shipped there. I'd recommend buying something new. A decent AR will set you back between $600 and $1000, but there are cheaper rifles and more expensive ones. Some people on here may suggest building one, but I would say not to do that for your first firearm.
>>
>>34795423
>>34795488
For example;
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STR5035MLS&name=Spike%27s+Tactical+ST-15+5.56%2f.223+16+in.+Midlength+Rifle&groupid=5387
>>
File: image.jpg (373KB, 1279x850px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
373KB, 1279x850px
>>34795372
Mark 23 is always the answer.
>>
File: 1498219636728.png (228KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1498219636728.png
228KB, 500x376px
>>34795505
I love the Mk. 23 but that would be a terrible first gun for OP.
>>
Get a shotty, OP. Simple to use, cheap to practice with, devastating results at home defense ranges.

Plus you can hunt with it and shoot trap/skeet for giggles. All for breddy cheap, which is good if you're a turbopoorfag. Get a Mav 88 for less than $200 and you won't regret it.
>>
I would honestly recommend a pistol or budget AR. Shotguns are indeed devastating at any distance you would encounter in a typical home, but you also have to account for their relatively large length and slower rate of fire (I'm assuming you want a pump, as a good autoloaders can be expensive). If you decide on a pistol, I would recommend getting a compact, so you have somewhat of balance between size, weight and concealibility - should you also decide to CC.

Also, don't forget to attach a light to whatever weapon you decide to go with. Contrary to what some of the retards on /k/ believe, a light is a necessity on any home defense weapon.
>>
>>34795372
>>34795556
OP I would second this guys notion. If you are looking for a firearm STRICTLY for Home defense then I would certainly stick to an AR firstly.

A lot of people get concerned at this notion saying the penetration is too dangerous. They are correct, but ask them what they think a pistol or powerful shotgun shot will do and they usually arent sure, the truth is they all do too much at over penetration especially with un-insulated interior walls. This is also why I suggest a rifle, Its harder to miss with.

At the end of the day you need to get what ever weapon system you think you are most effective with. If thats a handgun then rock on, if its an AR then go for it. Choose whatever you can. Hasguns is better than noguns.
>>
>>34795602
>A lot of people get concerned at this notion saying the penetration is too dangerous
The best way to avoid over penetration is to not miss and have the projectiles dump their energy into the big piece of meat that is not welcome.
>>
>>34796036
That was my point, most people are concerned about penetration and ignorantly assume that the rifle is not a good option because of that. But in reality its over penetration is just as dangerous as a pistol cartridge or large enough shotgun shot, therefore going with the most accurate and easiest weapon system for follow up shots helps mitigate the chances of you missing and causing serious property or family injury.
>>
File: Mossberg pump wooden.jpg (143KB, 2000x900px) Image search: [Google]
Mossberg pump wooden.jpg
143KB, 2000x900px
>>34795372
A 12ga pump-action shotgun would be not only a very cheap, but also very practical and versatile weapon. Something like the Mossberg 500's variants can be found for less than 200 bucks at best.

Having a backup handgun wouldn't be a bad idea either, and you can get fine 9mm and .45s for 300-400 bucks at best.
>>
File: 12ga_train.jpg (1023KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
12ga_train.jpg
1023KB, 2272x1704px
>>34795372
whuddup. regardless of the type of gun, practice shooting skills regularly. been shooting a mossberg 500 and 590a1 for years & i can recommend either one. my guns have been free of mechanical issues. i bring it up because mossberg qc isnt impeccable.
18 and 20" barrels respectively, bead sight, receiver-mounted shell carrier, light mounted to magazine *my current setup

>was thinking a shotgun of some sort was the best bet considering i live in a 1k square foot, 1 floor house with only a few rooms
i tend to agree. opinions and unique personal factors vary obviously. /k/ will present lots of them

>or would i be better off with a pistol for my intended purposes?
personally i avoid advocating for or against a type of gun. imo lurk, read reports, studies, etc on the hd topic, make an informed decision that way. nothing wrong w/ advice of course. the way i see it, even if you describe every detail of the factors that effect your weapon choice & implementation to someone, he still doesnt know those factors as intimately as you do
hope that helped
>>
>>34795372

do internet search for phrases like

first time gun buyer
best home defense gun
first time pistol buyer

take the $100 intro class at local gun range

then get a ruger sr22 pistol in 22lr shoot it 1000rds & sell it for $250 if you still want a bigger dick
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.