[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In a rifle barrel, the lands are wider than the grooves. In a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 45 cal barrel.jpg (230KB, 1122x1326px) Image search: [Google]
45 cal barrel.jpg
230KB, 1122x1326px
In a rifle barrel, the lands are wider than the grooves. In a pistol barrel, the grooves are wider than the lands. Why is that?
>>
Rifle barrels have a to have a much harder twist and the bullets are going a lot faster so maybe the lands just need to be wider to be strong enough to handle rifle bullets.
>>
Manufacturers choice mostly.
>>
>>34777688
Are you sure about that? I haven't noticed such a trend.
>>
>>34777766
The opposite actually. Most rifle twists are gentler than pistols because they have longer barrels.

>>34777688
It depends on manufacturers and calibers really.
>>
>>34777804
>Most rifle twists are gentler than pistols because they have longer barrels
That doesn't make any sense, pistol rounds don't need such a steep twist because they are "flatter" compared to rifle rounds.
>>
>>34777688
best barrels for pistols and rifles have neither lands nor grooves.
>>
>>34778571
no, it actually makes perfect sense. The bullet is heavier and mass is more widely distributed, decreasing sectional density. In other words, pistol bullets need more centrifugal force to stabilize them because air currents won't, since they're usually G1 profile projectiles, and because there's more area that could tumble... also pistols are the biggest trade off of small arms, trading precision, velocity, energy and lethality over all for size, so the bullet's going to need to be gripped sooner and better rather than later. A rifle on the other hand will be propelling a much more dense projectile at much higher velocity through a longer tube, so the grooves can be smaller, as the need to stabilize the bullet quickly isn't so urgent as the need to balance stabilization to the point that the bullet isn't over stabilized and is allowed to build up as much velocity as possible.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.