[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nuclear battleships

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_8316.jpg (106KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8316.jpg
106KB, 1024x768px
once rail guns are developed, would it be possible to re-activate the Iowas, and equip them with nuclear reactors. Railguns could even out perform cruise missiles, or they could be used to launch nuclear projectiles.
>>
it would be cheaper to build new ships from the keel up. than to refit the Iowas.

the recoil of 16 inch guns shake the ship hard enough that the reactors would automatically scram.
>>
>>34775858
If they're carrying weapons more effective than SSM's than it would make even less sense to bring the Iowa's back.
>>
>>34775858
Die in a fire, BB-fag
>>
Those fuckers are almost eighty years old

Let them rest
>>
>railgun meme

when will it end?
>>
>>34775858
>once rail guns are developed, would it be possible to re-activate the Iowas, and equip them with nuclear reactors. Railguns could even out perform cruise missiles, or they could be used to launch nuclear projectiles.
Bringing Iowas back is a terrible idea. They were built for a different age and it would be as expensive and less effective to gut them and rebuild them as compared to just starting from total scratch.

That said, short of some truly radical shift in technology, there will never again be a time where large capital ships chiefly shoot at each other with guns.

>>34776129
Rail guns are interesting and have potential, they are not a meme, but people do not understand them well in general so I can understand your views on them.
>>
hide and ignore battleship threads
>>
>>34775858
No. Fuck off.
>>
File: 1501866921401.jpg (147KB, 1624x1682px) Image search: [Google]
1501866921401.jpg
147KB, 1624x1682px
>it's another "retards think railguns with even quadruple the range of a regular gun would ever be able to compete with missile boats and carriers" thread
>>
>>34775858
You'd have to gut the entire ship, including the powerplant. Might as well build a new one.
>>
>>34776844
Railguns are going to be mostly AAW and seldomly NSFS against third world countries. You can fill your VLS with more TLAM and LRASM and less SM/ESSM as a result.
>>
>>34775858
The only viable reason Warships of that size would make a comeback is as missile boats. Even then, it's more efficient and safer to have a few cruisers collectively loaded with the same amount of missiles as a BB than to put all of your eggs in one basket. But If you really needed to do both, that'd be the way to go.
>>
I love the iowa class, i love the idea of the big ships and everything, but i realise that even railguns wont be able to bring back the big behemoths of olde. The closest thing would be some sort fire support vessel with multiple railguns and a larger power source to support landings and land ops within 200km of the coast, but it would be nowhere near the torpedo tanking damage sponge the iowas were and missiles would probably do the job just fine. Missiles take the fun out of everything. Sad. Low energy.
>>
>>34775858

THICCC
>>
>>34777906
LPD with 128 vls cells and two railguns when?
>>
Could they replace the main guns with glider launchers?
>>
>bring back the iowas
>install nuclear reactors
>replace old guns with rail guns and VLS cells
>replace the bridge with a Ticonderoga style bridge with SPY radar and AEGIS

Tell me why this won't work.
>>
>>34779676
Because at that point you may as well build a completely new ship
>>
>>34775910

They wouldn't have 16" guns though, would they? They'd be replaced with railguns.
>>
This is Iowa. Say something nice about her.
>>
>>34779676
Why would you need all that armor?
>>34780485
Fast BB for map requirements and highest BB AA stats.
>>
>>34780485
purely american
>>
>>34780485
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl3FJ5KbtTU
>>
>>34780485
So beautiful that she should come back
>>
>>34775858
iowa... had a hard life
she needs to rest now
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.