[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Department is making me buy my own sidearm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 15

File: 91fouen5jbl_aa1500.jpg (66KB, 337x433px) Image search: [Google]
91fouen5jbl_aa1500.jpg
66KB, 337x433px
My department is making us all buy our handguns to carry while on duty. I don't know much about handguns. When I was in the USMC they issued us M9's and I thought they were terrible. Should I just buy a glock like everyone else?

If /k/ was a rookie cop who had the liberty to choose, what would y'all pick and why?
>>
>>34775316
AR pistol in .300Blackout, suppressed of course
>>
>>34775316

Glock or sig
>>
>>34775316
Glock or CZp10c would be my choice.
>>
>>34775316
1911. Would you really trust your life to a plastic 9mm?
>>
20 Flintlock pistols.
>>
>>34775329

Sounds practical.

>>34775336

I am looking at a P226. My dad gave me a P220 years back and I love the gun.
>>
File: CZ-P-10-C_L.jpg (575KB, 1250x741px) Image search: [Google]
CZ-P-10-C_L.jpg
575KB, 1250x741px
>>34775316

Man I would go to CZ P-10C
Really good gun. Better than Glock and its fairly cheap.
>>
Luger.
>>
>>34775420
>plastic garbage.

P226 is the only correct answer
>>
>>34775316
Does your department have an approved list of guns you can use or can you pick whatever?
>>
Micro Draco
>>
>>34775432
Well... P226 is like twice time more expensive... And CZ P-10C is real quality. Look at some videos at youtub or so... Its really good gun. It will take a few practise lesson to get used to it :) But then you it will be best ;)
>>
Only correct answer is glock 19
>>
>>34775463

Yeah, but it is pretty broad. I can pretty much buy anything reasonable and produced in the last 20 years. They are skewed towards striker fire mechanisms but we were all trained on S&W 659's in the academy. (I hated those as well)

So pretty much anything in black, metal or polymer and not ridiculous like showing up one day with a sawed off shotgun attached to your thigh.
>>
File: medium800[1].jpg (52KB, 800x376px) Image search: [Google]
medium800[1].jpg
52KB, 800x376px
What's stopping you from going full retard?
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 500x583px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 500x583px
Fnx 45. It's reliable, versatile, accurate, hard hitting etc etc. it's a great all around gun. It's also lighter than a sig so there's that going for it. Plus it's just sexy.
>>
C96 Mauser. Wear a turtleneck too
>>
File: Ruger GP100 Match Champion.jpg (289KB, 2160x944px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger GP100 Match Champion.jpg
289KB, 2160x944px
>>34775463
This. If you can get anything I'd be flying my autism like a motherfucker and larping like it's 1985.

Full rig for pic related from: http://texshoemaker.com/
>>
Colt python.
>>
>>34775316
Are you in a bad area? What's your budget?
>>
>>34775316

If you have to ask what sidearm to get just get a Glock 17 with a Surefire or Streamlight and be done with it. Get some trigger work done on it if you feel it necessary.
>>
Did they specify what kind of calibers are ok?
>>
>>34775316
>Served in the Marines, wants to be an American cop, doesn't know dick diddly about guns

Your gonna be the kind of cop that magdumps a drunk because he stumbled twords you only to kill an entire family and still let the perp live.
>>
>>34775526

My dept. serves a major metropolitan area. My beat is one of the worst, if not the worst in the area by far.

My budget is about $1200, give or take $100 on either side.
>>
What the fuck is with all these poorfags... I would never trust my life to a glock. get an HK ffs, VP9 or something. i know that cops aren't rich, but how much is your life worth?
>>
File: IMG_4651.jpg (375KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4651.jpg
375KB, 1680x1050px
Fn 5-7 with AP rounds
>>
Jericho 941 or a CZ75 depending on your preference for ergonomics.

Then when I'm in my twilight years I'd switch to a revolver as all old cops should.
>>
>>34775571
Lmao, won't trust your life to a flock but would a vp9?
>>
>>34775567
A problem solva
>>
Buy whatever everyone else is getting so you can share mags.
>>
>>34775571
Portland Police authorize Glock 17, 19, and 26 exclusively and they seem to have no problem putting down niggers based on how this city freaks out each time they do the job they're paid to do.
>>
Vp9 is a solid gun

A Cz would be great as well

I'm not a huge Glock fan but honestly you can't really go wrong with a Glock as a duty gun.
>>
>>34775567
Shit, build an SBR and call it good dude. You wouldn't catch me on any shit beat without a rifle, fuck low capacity low power handgun calibers get 20 rounds of .308 or 30 rounds of 5.56.

Realistically get whatever most guys in your department have, it's better to have commonality of equipment if you're in a shit situation. So consider the most common caliber in your department and the most common handgun, could you share ammo and magazines if needed? If you have a partner get the same weapon as him/her.
>>
Pick a type 94 nambu.
You can shoot a criminal while you pretend to be surrendering.
>>
File: Colt-2.png (258KB, 1001x425px) Image search: [Google]
Colt-2.png
258KB, 1001x425px
What kind of aesthetic are you going for? Guns are just a fashion accessory anyways, so might as well get something nice.
>>
>>34775604
of course, the materials and workmanship on my HKs is fuckin light years ahead of my glocks and any glock I've ever seen.
>>
>>34775593

If CZ then newest model like CZ P10C Nice piece of work
>>
>>34775649
I went to a defensive handgun course offered by my local sheriff dept. Multiple glocks were present, none had an issue. I had no stoppage with my M&P9. The snowflake with a VP9 had three jams and a stovepipe. A third of attendees were weak wristed women. We each went through 500 rounds in about 3-4 hours.
>>
>>34775316

glock 20 or vp9
>>
Hi-Point, just buy like 5 and carry them all
>>
>>34775316
All these people are wrong, my guy.
>>34775638
Is on a decent track with being able to share mags. It is nice, but not the only thing to consider.

Go try some stuff out.
See what you shoot well.

>Always ignore military experience with 90-series Berettas
>>
File: brownings-1920.jpg (730KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
brownings-1920.jpg
730KB, 1800x1200px
>>34775316
You dont need a custom one like these, but nothing beats a cocked and locked all steel 15+1 browning Hi Power with the mag disconnect gone.

If youd rather have a 45 get a 1911
>>
>>34775692
just shot one yesterday, holy shit i couldn't believe the (stock) trigger. i liked it better than my sp-01 all suped up by the cajuns. dat reset, mang
>>
>>34775730
This. Commonality is important, but not more important than your ability to put rounds on target. And don't discount the M9 because your issued garbage was indeed garbage, I've had my store bought one for 7 years and I've put thousands of rounds through it without any malfunctions.
>>
>all these faggots telling OP to spend $1200 on a gun that will end up in an evidence locker.

Buy a glock to be your work piece since it's a throwaway cookie cutter gun that you won't cry about if something happens while you're working.
Bonus: they've been verified by PD's nationwide as effective african eliminators. Spend the other $800 on something to collect/enjoy.
>>
File: 1500940030762.jpg (86KB, 1042x663px) Image search: [Google]
1500940030762.jpg
86KB, 1042x663px
>>34775316
>My department is making us all buy our handguns to carry while on duty. I don't know much about handguns.
Have fun at the trial.
>>
>>34775567
How big of a pistol are you comfortable with? Get a Tangfolio (All Metal) Witness in 10mm or 45ACP (its low price point lets you go all out on sights, lights, lasers or whatever you want). No one, now matter how wigged out on illicit substances, everyone drops to a 185 JHP.
>>
>>34775829
Police guns dont end up in evidence lockers mong, especially if its their personal weapon.
>>
>>34775848
Eh depends on the situation. Point still stands that an EDC should be something that isn't super expensive or collectible.
>>
You should carry 8 Hi-points problem solvers
>>
File: dirty harry.jpg (257KB, 1422x800px) Image search: [Google]
dirty harry.jpg
257KB, 1422x800px
get a .44 magnum
>>
>>34775316
1911 all the way.
>accurate
>powerful
>8 round magazines offer good capacity
>reliable
>crisp trigger pull
>steel frame
>>
File: IMG_0510.jpg (71KB, 1510x938px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0510.jpg
71KB, 1510x938px
>applied to big metro dept
>had a decent list of firearms and cal
>new guidelines say only those grandfathered in 2008 can carry from that list
>new guys get Glock 9mm 19/17
>that's it
Fuck. No .45 SIG for me. Why do departments do this??! Contracts with manufactures?
>>
File: 1466378289267.jpg (447KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1466378289267.jpg
447KB, 1800x1200px
>>34775744
noice
>>
>>34775316
Glock.

It's point and press and relatively low maintenance, which is good for you, and it has a proven reliability track record. Plus you can get cop discounts.

Buy one for duty, and buy a used one of the same type for training.
>>
>>34775316
All herping and derping aside.

>What does your dept. allow you to carry?
You might want a Mare's Leg or an AK "Pistol" but it's not worth your money if you buy it and the department promptly NOPEs. This seems silly, but maybe you'll pick out a nice used FN Hi-Power and it won't be allowed because it's single-action or too old to be reliable.

Remember, you're accountable for every bullet you fire. A lawyer is liable to scrutinize every aspect of how it came to be fired including your equipment. This goes double for the gun. If it's say, an old BHP he might try to argue that the hammer slipped when you were trying to cock it causing an ND and that you didn't actually intend to shoot the suspect, but did due to poor training and improper equipment.

>What calibers are approved? What do you want to use?
Some agencies only allow 9mm, or .40S&W or 9, 40 and 45 but nothing else. You have to work within those restrictions.

Like shooting .45 but not .40S&W? Love 9mm? .357 Magnum? LOOOOOOOOOVE .40 S&W for some weird reason? Preference matters to some extent. Your sidearm will be your lifeline so it's good to carry something that inspires confidence.

Practically speaking, 9mm is the go-to. It's affordable if you have to buy your own ammo in order to get adequate trigger time. It's powerful enough when used with quality JHP ammunition. If you feel like you just must have the extra punch of .40 or .45 there are perfectly good guns that fire those calibers too. Remember however, in a modern gunfight capacity can make a difference. There are double-stacked .45 pistols like the Glock 21, but you are still sacrificing magazine capacity which limits your ability to fire and maneuver.
>>
Get a M57 Tokarev from zastava and pwn, or get the m70 and be a 9mmfag.

Alternatively you could also get a 10mm anything
>>
>>34776632
>Action of choice.
There's basically four. Single-Action where the hammer must be cocked before firing (1911, BHP). They are usually carried cocked with safety engaged. Single-Action Striker (Glock, Springfield XD) which is carried cocked with a trigger safety only. DA/SA with a long double-action pull followed by single-action pulls. DAO which is hammer or striker fired but always fires DA.

Also there are revolvers which are typically DA with ability to cock for SA or DAO with a bobbed hammer that can't be cocked, sometimes SAO but that's outdated. They usually aren't allowed anymore.

Critially, what does your agency allow? What do they not allow? What setup lets you carry/shoot well?
>Safety, safety, safety.
Glocks have no manual safety, but rather a passive trigger block that prevents most unintentional trigger pulls. That's been accepted by most agencies as adequate, but only a bare minimum safety. Would you feel better with a grip safety as well? Consider a Springfield XD. Want a manual safety catch? If so, slide-mounted or frame mounted? (usually frame-mounted safeties are better).
Alternatively, you can get a gun that is set to fire in double-action-only where every shot has a long trigger pull which can not be touched off accidentally. Another system is the decocker. There is no safety to speak of, but there is a decocking lever which safely lowers the hammer to double-action mode.

Same as above, what's allowed? What's not allowed? What do you feel confident and safe carrying?
>>
>>34775481
OP
If you were looking something similar to the P226 but cheaper, look at the P2022. Based of the 226 and it's usually around 550. It's SA/DA and has a decocker.
>>
>>34776721
Finally
>form factor
What guns fit you well?
Maybe you want something like a Glock, but the Glock is just too blocky or the 4th gen cheese-grater grips just suck. Try a S&W M&P. It's built along similar lines, but has a different balance point as well as grip shape, angle and texture.

Maybe you prefer a dual recoil spring to cut down recoil. Maybe fighting that bitch to run the slide back is too much of a pain in the ass.

Maybe you really dig the CZ-75 style slide riding inside the frame or maybe it's too difficult to grasp.

There are a lot of these preferential issues that must be addressed by simply handling a wide variety of handguns and picking out the one that works for you.
>aftermarket
This is vital. A good gun is one thing but as a cop it's almost as important if not MORE to have a good holster. You can't get away with a cheap nylon Uncle Mike's universal holster with a button retaining the gun. You're going to get into a lot of fights and a cheap POS like that won't retain your gun well. It'll either fall out, or be removed by a perp and used against you.

Whatever gun you buy, it MUST have a GOOD retention holster available for it. It's possible to have one made, but a good, solid, proven, affordable design available off the shelf is a godsend.

Also, what about accessories on the gun?
Night sights are always good, since you are going to draw your gun in the dark at some point. Sometimes they come standard. Sometimes they can be upgraded on. Sometimes it's impossible.

Accessory rails for flashlights are also good. A 50$ TLR-3 can be the difference between a properly identified target and you shooting an innocent. It does however require a gun with an accessory rail and the use of a special retention holster for with a space for your light.
>>
Surplus Jericho or other CZ 75 clone
>>
>>34776817
Also a note on accessories. DO NOT put stupid aesthetic shit like "MOLON LABE" or /POL/ shit on it. I figure since you got hired you're not a socially retarded sperg, but I've seen cops put Trump logos and various retarded sayings on their gear. Even favored sports teams can be a problem for people who don't like them.

It's cringy, it can cause unnecessary trouble when dealing with certain members of the public and you bet your ASS if you put a pepe backplate on your Glock and then blatt a disadvantaged urban youth of color under questionable circumstances any ambulance chaser worth his salt is going to rub that all over the faces of the jury and news reporters.

I also forgot that most modern handguns have some options for aftermarket grips like Houge or Pachmyr. Even skateboard tape applied strategically can make a big difference, but if you have free reign you can usually pick a gun that feels good as-is. That said I've found swapping grip panels for Houge ones on big metal framed pistols helps me. Their slip-over style grip for polymer framed guns not so much.
Many modern polymer guns have interchangeable grip panels that can be swapped for different hand sizes, but this typically only helps deal with front to back dimensions rather than side-to side.

You can also duracoat your gun for a different color or better corrosion resistance, that's mostly aesthetic and it can be expensive so you should probably not bother.
>>
>>34775316
M1911. Stick with the classics
>>
>>34776034
>liability concerns
>ammo and magazine commonality ( in case you think that's just a meme perk https://youtu.be/_77kdRizcy8 )
>less time spent teaching an armorer or whatever the fuck the police equivalent is how to care for guns
>can train all the officers the same way since they're using the same gun

The only reason to allow personal sidearms is either to supplement the main one (ie. an ankle gun) or if your department is poor as fuck.
>>
>>34775638
>Sharing rounds
Barring a West Hollywood shoot out, maybe the guy who ran out of ammo should maybe stop shooting.
>>
>>34775316
Glock 20. Go 10mm or go home.
>>
>>34777015
>"West Hollywood shootout"
>The post literally right above yours links a video of cops sharing mags in a shootout
Go jump off a fucking bridge you subhuman
>>
>>34777053
That's actually what we were taught. Since you're responsible for every round and the guy next to you apparently expended up to 61 rounds and is asking for more, at least consider giving him one of your mags.
>>
>>34777053
Also my bad, "North"
>>
>>34775701
>one example of a handgun failing proves that its shit!

I bet you use the argument above when someone brings up Ian's Glock video too.
>>
File: somanyquestions.png (485KB, 765x627px) Image search: [Google]
somanyquestions.png
485KB, 765x627px
>>34775353
Yarrr PD
>>
>>34775366
P227
>>
Going to echo what everyone else is saying; get a glock in .40

If you're required to carry off duty, make it a compact model.
>>
>>34775316
Hi-Power
>>
File: 800px-Model15a.jpg (79KB, 800x472px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Model15a.jpg
79KB, 800x472px
>>34775316
Smith & Wesson Model 15
>>
File: 2017-05-06 02.57.48.jpg (4MB, 3404x1810px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-06 02.57.48.jpg
4MB, 3404x1810px
>>34775316

Well M9 in the service are beat to living shit , I say go to the range or a few ranges to see what feels good to you so you don't spend money on something you might not like or feel good in your hand.

Personally I carry a PD 92FS I snagged for 500 new , added good grips and a de-cocker only kit.
>>
>>34775316
Walther PPQ has a rebate for $100 and its basically a glock 19 with a superb trigger job
>>
The new CZ P10C is a good pistol. They come in 9mm and .40 so take your pick. Also compact enough to use as an off-duty.
>>
>>34775316
FN
HK
CZ
Glock
Sig

All have decent offerings. What security department are you working for?
>>
fookin cunts.
>>
Get a Glock it will never break on you
>>
If there's a majority of people in the department buying the same thing, get what they're getting. Uniformity can be a good thing, mainly on the off chance that you'll need to use somebody else's equipment or somebody needs to use yours. You also get to defend your decision via ad populum. If there isn't a clear majority, then just buy a full-size pistol from anyone on the list >>34777707 made. Modern pistols aren't exactly exceptional, and you're not likely to fall in love with the aesthetics or operation of one, but none of them are inherently terrible by design. You have a chance of encountering a poorly constructed gun these days, so inspect before paying.

As for chambering: modern defensive handgun rounds have improved the capabilities of the smaller rounds, but with .45 and 9mm expanding ammunition of similar design you're still basically making the trade-off of bigger hole vs. more rounds. 9mm can penetrate deep enough to disrupt important tissues, but you still get to agonize over whether you want a bigger permanent hole, even though it might not be that much bigger. A lot of people end up with 9mm because they reason that the capacity is the most important trait if all handguns suck at wounding. 10mm proponents claim that 10mm auto could escape that conclusion, and it is significantly more powerful than the "big three" of 9, .40, and .45. However, you don't have as many options for 10mm handguns as you do with the more common rounds. Don't go smaller than 9mm, since you don't need to conceal this thing.

Lastly, get to know your service weapon. What you pick matters, but it doesn't matter nearly as much as being able to shoot good with it and being able to perform the manipulations without conscious thought.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.