[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to repaint a gun ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

Two days ago I came back home from the military with a nice Sig 550 given by my government.
But it has wear marks in certain spots where the painting is gone. What can I apply on these spots to durably protect my rifle from rust except the military gun fat (I already do that) ? Because I'll have to return on duty in the coming years so the rifle will not stay quietly at home.
>>
File: IMG_7674.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7674.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>34774902
pics of my sig 550
>>
File: IMG_7670.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px)
IMG_7670.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>34774913
>>
>>34774902
>wanting to reverse your hard earned wear marks.
Im honestly jealous that you get issued a rifle that has some genuine wear marks on it. Ill most likely never get to carry my AR enough to put wear marks like a military service rifle has on them. The slight purple tinge that the anodizing takes on once its worn through quite a bit is the most aesthetic thing ever.
I know my answer doesnt help you but my advice would be to just enjoy and savor the honest wear marks on your rifle.
>>
File: IMG_7676.jpg (991KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7676.jpg
991KB, 3264x2448px
>>34774922
>>
File: IMG_7672.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7672.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>34774940
>>
First off, we are all very jealous of your actual Sig.

Second, your best bet is getting it refinished. There isn't much you can do about spotty finishes except redoing the entire thing. It's not really something that can be partially redone.

It will need a professional gunsmith though. Theoretically you could do it yourself if you felt confident, but considering this is your duty gun you had better get it done by a professional.
>>
>>34774935
is right, but if you don't want to take his advice you can absolutely paint a gun.

I would recommend getting something like Aluma-Hyde or Duracoat in an aresol can. Barbecue paint can work in a pinch if you want just plain black. Regular paint won't hold up to the high heats or scratching as much as these options.
>>
>>34774913
>>34774922
>>34774940
>>34774952

Honestly these aren't major issues at all. If this was some $3000 safe queen AR15 than ya, you could be more picky about the finish. But this is your service rifle, so it's going to show signs of use. My AK has a very similar level of wear.
>>
This is still your service rifle correct?
I would absolutly avoid doing any work on the rifle that you are not specifcally told to by your military.
That rifle is still property and not yours to do what you please with.
>>
Sure, you can get it refinished. At least you wouldn't have a problem doing that in the US with a bit of money. There's no real way to touch up spots here and there, unless you want an ugly ass cold blue, so the best bet would be finding a gunsmith in your area to completely refinish it. Personally, I agree with the other anon, if the gun isn't a perfect condition collectible (or especially if the collectability is due to its use or lack thereof) there's no point in fixing some scratches. Weathered military guns are sexy as is.
>>
>>34774977
Also, if you are already applying oil of some form to the exterior, as long as you keep that up you won't have any problem with rust. Just keep an occasional eye on it, it takes a while before surface rust penetrates far enough into the finish to be a problem. Surface rust is easily fixable by rubbing an oiled cloth against it most times, or using a nylon bristle brush.
>>
>>34774935
>>34774967
I know thee are details but I'm afraid of rust and I can easily append if I'm camping on the field and it rains.

>>34774954
>>34774960
I don't want to entirely paint my rifle (I'm not allowed to do it until I'm out of the army with it anyway). Just to do apply something more resistant than gun fat on these spots to avoid rust.
>>
>>34774974
I know. That is why I don't really want to repaint it for now but just apply some sort of protective film on these spots in particular.
>>
>>34775030
Just oil it everytime you shoot it/ 2 times a year if you don't shoot
I live in humid ass Florida and rarely have rust issues if I follow this regiment.
>>
File: weatherproof.jpg (89KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
weatherproof.jpg
89KB, 675x900px
Just mask off what you don't want painted and rattle can it with rust-o-leum or something similar. Cheap, easily touched up and/or removed.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.