[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ballistic Shields

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10

File: 390px-USMC_MP_SRT_MP5.jpg (47KB, 390x599px) Image search: [Google]
390px-USMC_MP_SRT_MP5.jpg
47KB, 390x599px
Can ballistic shields stop rifle / assault rifle bullets? I'm looking it up on the Internet, but I'm finding a lot of confusing answers, I remember reading somewhere that a helmet heavy enough to stop a rifle bullet would rip your head off.

I'm asking about hand-carried shields specifically (like the CS 1.6 tactical shield).
>>
Look up NIJ ratings what they mean, and compare them with the shield you're looking at and it's rating.

And yes, hand shields will generally stop intermediate rifle rounds
>>
File: shield.jpg (52KB, 480x997px) Image search: [Google]
shield.jpg
52KB, 480x997px
>>34773293
>Look up NIJ ratings

I did, but I found it pretty hard to believe. So basically a 30kg shield can protect your entire body from the front, while on the move? Why do they even use these cart-pushed shields like the Ramses then?
>>
>>34773319
They are meant to be semi stationary. A shield holder may have to stand for many hours facing a hostage situation. That weight will get reallllllly heavy in a few minutes.
>>
>>34773334
The pic related was used in the storming of the Bataclan tho (part of the European war against muslims if you're unfamiliar).
>>
>>34773319
Do you have any idea how much thirty kilos is
>>
>>34773319
>Why do they even use these cart-pushed shields like the Ramses then?

Why do they use full body thicker shields as opposed to thinner smaller ones that only protect the upper body?

I mean, legs are totally bulletproof and basically superfluous so I don't know why they'd want to protect those too.
>>
File: mraps4-dimensions.jpg (192KB, 1036x1000px) Image search: [Google]
mraps4-dimensions.jpg
192KB, 1036x1000px
>>34773358
Enough to carry them with some harness assistance for a trained man for a short period of time.

>>34773354
Just to clarify what I'm asking: In CS 1.6 they have this huge, whole body tactical shield that is carried, and blocks all rifle bullets, but in real life such shields are only pushed on carts. This is what confuses me.

I looked it all up on the Internet, and found that this 10kg hand carried shield could basically stop all rifle bullets, which I found hard to believe since a larger hand-carried 30kg version could cover the entire body but I can find no such thing (i.e. the CS-shield IRL).
>>
>>34773374
The Ramses shield is +50kg, the small American NIJ 4 shields that supposedly stop armor piercing bullets are 10kg.
>>
>>34773385
>Just to clarify what I'm asking: In CS 1.6 they have this huge, whole body tactical shield that is carried, and blocks all rifle bullets, but in real life such shields are only pushed on carts. This is what confuses me.

>Video games aren't the same as real life

Are you utterly fucking retarded?
>>
>>34773396
So....smaller shields are lighter?
>>
>>34773385
In CS 1.6 you get shot and clearly die, yet you're alive again in like five minutes. What's up with that?
>>
File: 1498490333323.jpg (57KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1498490333323.jpg
57KB, 500x750px
>>34773403
It is possible my friend.
>>
>>34773412
The American NIJ 4 shield has 1/3 the area, but only 1/5 the weight. So either a) it doesn't actually work as advertised, or b) the French police uses an outdated shield.
>>
>>34773403
>>34773415
I articulated my point perfectly well, maybe you should work on your reading comprehensions.
>>
>>34773423
Consider that the French don't use US standards and it probably offers more protection then.
>>
>>34773443
>probably offers more protection then

Is there anything above high-power armor piercing rounds?

>NIJ LEVEL IV:

>(Armor-piercing rifle). This armor protects against .30–06 caliber armor-piercing bullets (US military designation APM2) with nominal masses of 10.8 g (166 gr.) impacting at a velocity of 868 m/s (2,850 ft/s) or less. It also provides at least single-hit protection against the Level I through III threats.

>Level IV body armor provides the highest level of protection currently available. Because this armor is intended to resist “armor piercing” bullets, it often uses ceramic materials. Such materials are brittle in nature and may provide only single-shot protection since the ceramic tends to break up when struck. As with Level III armor, Level IV armor is clearly intended only for tactical situations when the threat warrants such protection.
>>
>>34773448
Or to rephrase it: I want to kill someone behind a NIJ 4 American shield, which rifle/bullets do I use?
>>
>>34773448
>Is there anything above high-power armor piercing rounds?

No.
>>
File: Cc2hfDxXEAAY9ML.jpg (49KB, 453x604px) Image search: [Google]
Cc2hfDxXEAAY9ML.jpg
49KB, 453x604px
>>34773453
Well, then it can't offer more protection, can it?

Unless we're talking anti-tank grenades, but this Russian hand-carried shield already withstands RPG-22, so this doesn't make any sense either.
>>
>>34773467
Of course there is you fucking moron, Jesus Christ

How is this confusing in the slightest?
>>
>Shield is full-body sized and offers more coverage against multiple hits from rifles

>This makes it heavier than shields smaller than it

>Somehow you need to be Einstein to understand this because it's not like a video game at all

What the fuck is going on in this thread
>>
>>34773484
I dont know but it scares me
>>
>>34773475
>Of course there

You mean something above high-power armor piercing rounds? Why on earth does it say then NIJ 4 is "the highest level of protection there is"?

But I will indulge you, so answer me this you expert: Can I kill a guy behind NIJ 4 shield with an anti-material rifle, but will a guy behind Ramses-shield survive?

>>34773484
It's 5 times as heavy with 3 times the area. You don't need to be Einstein, but you do need 5th grade algebra to understand that Ramses has a heavier plating per cm2 despite supposedly offering no additional protection.
>>
>>34773507
With an anti-material rifle bigger than .50 cal you should be able to defeat lv IV armor. No idea about 14.5mm, there is like only one rifle in 15mm thats supposed to shoot like a 20mm but 20mm and up is best and probably easier to get. No clue how many Lv IV plates it'll blast through but it'll be stopped by modern tank armor or over 2 inches of appropriately hardened steel.
>>
>>34773546
Thanks man, finally a competent answer! It would really have confused me if a hand-carried shield could defeat any hand-carried weapon, because you would see them on every soldier and everywhere.

Do you happen to know how the Ramses fares against anti-material rifles? I assume it has to be better, since soldiers hiding behind a cart-pushed shield offer a much easier target. This is the link:

https://www.tencateadvancedarmor.com/personal-protection/Ballistic-shields/TenCate-Targa-light-ballistic-shields/RG7g/TenCate-Targa-Light-CS-800-TL---RAMSES-II
>>
>>34773385
>but I can find no such thing (i.e. the CS-shield IRL).
^ a basement dwelling autistic loser lost in a fantasy game. You need to put on some clothes and go outside and find a IRL girl or boyfriend.
>>
>>34773590
I'm not, I barely play CS GO, I just noticed it lacks the shield from CS 1.6, which is why I thought they removed it because "it was nonsense anyway". This is why I researched it, and after I found no satisfying answer I made the thread. If this offends you, you might be stupid. I'm not a /k/-poster either, but this is the best place to ask.
>>
>>34773448
>Is there anything above high-power armor piercing rounds?
At that point you stop using NIJ levels and start using RHA equivalent thickness.
>>
>>34773467
Somehow I doubt this
Are you saying I can tank a rpg hit with a shield?
Won't the blast be deadly enough on it's own considering the warhead detonates a foot or so away from you?
>>
Okay how about a less autistic question

If i get a ramses shield, mount 4 wheels and a seat. then somebody opens up with a m240 with a 500 round link, what speed could I reach?
>>
File: jetpack_speeding.png (16KB, 419x205px) Image search: [Google]
jetpack_speeding.png
16KB, 419x205px
>>34774625
So kinda the opposite of this?
>>
>>34774708
yeah pretty much.
>>
>>34774335
But the shield will be alright tho
>>
File: 1483962820582.jpg (65KB, 680x786px) Image search: [Google]
1483962820582.jpg
65KB, 680x786px
this thread is fucking retarded
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.