[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does .308win work in 7.62x51 chambered Mausers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

I understand that .308 is to 7.62x51 as 5.56 is to .223 and that it's generally not smart to use .308 in rifles chambered for the real fuckin' NATO cartridge, but are Mausers exempt from this? I've read that the Mauser action is chambered for higher pressures and that it should be okay. Thoughts?

The rifle I'm talking about in particular is an Israeli VZ 24 reworked by FN and rebarelled by Israel, according to the seller.
>>
>>34758998
bump
>>
>>34758998
In the case of your Mauser, and other 98s, it's fine. It was designed for 8mm so you're good.
But some 96 or 93 mausers converted to 762 can slowly show signs of wear after firing hundreds of 308.
>>
>>34759325
thanks
>>
>>34759325
what about something like an indian ishapore 2a1? It wasn't originally chambered for .303 but rather made in india as an original gun for NATO specs, probably not safe for .308 or what?
>>
308 is identical to 7.62x51.
Chamber tolerances do vary. Anything that passes a 308 SAAMI gauge test will be fine with either. If it passes the Milspec gauge test then it will likely work with 308 ammo but will probably shorten brass life for reloading.
>>
>>34758998
>I understand that .308 is to 7.62x51 as 5.56 is to .223
That is wrong. There are slight differences in case specifications and loading between 5.56 and 223. There are no differences between .308 and 7.62 NATO. They're identical.
>>
What about the Spanish fr8s? I heard that they could have been made with substandard metallurgy. I have thought about shooting some 118lr through it but dont want to turn it into a grenade
>>
>>34761726
All real FR8's are converted from large ring M98 actions. The vast majority have M43 La Coruna receivers, though once in a blue moon a Gewehr 98, wz. 29, or K98k receiver (provided during the Spanish Civil War) will sneak through. All of these were built and toleranced for 8mm originally and are completely safe to shoot .308 if in good mechanical condition.

I used to have an FR8, traded it for a M38 Swedish Mauser about a year ago. Shot so much ,308 out of it that the stock cracked at the rear tang. It's still arguably the handiest and most practical of the milsurps, which explains why you almost never see them on gunshop racks for long.
>>
>>34758998
With Mausers 98 actions (Like the VZ24) can handle the pressure just fine. Small ring (1894 action, such as Swede/Chilean/Spanish Mausers) are pushing it though, it's technically beyond their stated specs, but I haven't seen many cases of them actually failing except for Chilean .308 conversions which were done in an unsafe way.

>>34759562
It's safe. I used to have 2 and they both ran .308 just fine.
>>34761726
FR8s are 98 actions that were factory rebuilt with 7.62 barrels. Technically, it's 7.62 CETME but the dimensions are near as makes no real difference the same and the action/chamber/barrel is more than strong enough to take .308 loads all day.
Now the FR7s are small ring, so while the barrels are safe the action is weaker. Again, they were rebuilt for 7.62 and the conversion wasn't done badly, but in theory it's advisable to run lighter loads. I'd shoot surplus 7.62 NATO and monitor the locking surfaces for any unusual wear.
>>
>>34758998
308 and 7.62x51 are interchangeable. I've done it many, many times.
>>
>>34761726
You're mistaking it for the FR7, the FR8 has a 98 action.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.