[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gear Fag- the confused .ver

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_7791 - Copy.jpg (531KB, 915x1220px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7791 - Copy.jpg
531KB, 915x1220px
One of the GQ threads here ignited my inner gear fag and I set off on a whirlwind scouting and shopping spree in my AO.
I ended up scoring this backpack for $20 after I talked the woman down a bit. It's my first tactical style backpack, and it looks legit, but I ca'nt find a label in it- idea on model or name?
It has a plastic stiffener in it ( which I emulated in my other backpack with a pair of cheap plastic cutting boards.)
My other question is- which pocket is for the hydration bladder?? Does it go next to the plastic stiffener or does it go in the rearmost pocket that's almost an exterior pocket? Is it designed for a specific bladder, or could someone recommend one?
>>
File: IMG_7792 - Copy.jpg (439KB, 1220x915px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7792 - Copy.jpg
439KB, 1220x915px
Some dork pointing at the exterior pocket
>>
>>34756013
thats where the bladder goes
>>
>>34756125
This thing has like 6 million straps...is there a manual for it?
>>
>>34756465
I don't have power points for gear. Weapons & TTP's yes. You could check youtube.
>>
>>34756465
Look up gi assault pack. They're pretty nice and for 20 bucks you did gud.
>>
Dude. Its a fucking backpack.
>>
>>34756465
And half of them are specifically for rigging for airborne ops on a lowering line and can either be forgotten about or cut off.
>>
>>34756607
Thank you for your adroit analysis.
Other than than a TT Mini MAV, it's my first real tactical gear, and I'm just having a noob moment.

Be nice and I might show y'all my new tactical windbreaker...
>>
>>34756656
That sounds awfully handy... imagine telling the SAR guys you brought your own straps for the extraction...

I thought about cutting them off, but part of me wants to leave the gear all intact.
>>
File: IMG_0322.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0322.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>34756001
There should be a tag inside the pocket with the stiffener
>>
>>34756728
aha! found it. thank you. I figured even a knock off or a Rothco would have a tag in it somewhere.
Now I need to figure out what to put in it and take it out in the woods with me. to break it in.
>>
>>34756678
uh.

All those straps do is allow the backpack to be lowered on your lowering line.

You don't want your backpack still strapped to your thighs when you hit the ground riding a parachute down.
>>
>>34756807
Why use the straps instead of the carry/lifting handle?

I guess I misread it as you were wearing the backpack and they used the straps to winch you up.
Obviously that's a tarded idea in retrospect.
>>
>>34756785
DIY first aid kit, rolled up towel, about 30 feet of 550 line, 100 feet of shotline, a can of tuna, binoculars wrapped in a watchcap, couple of folded up contractor trash bags in the stiffener pocket, couple of lighters, book of matches, sunscreen, gloves, hand sanitizer, couple of Sharpies, lunch, and a bottle of water.

That's generally what dwells in mine. It's my EDC at work. There's probably some other stuff in there, too. I think I have a butterknife right now.
>>
It's an assault pack. Not a main pack. It is part of the MOLLE II rifleman's kit. It has provisions to interface with a MOLLE II main pack. It isnt bad, but using GI kit like that when you havent served may draw undue scrutiny. Read the FM if you want to know what everything is and how to use it.
>>
>>34756973
Scrutiny from whom?
I'm ina city with 4 or 5 military bases...no one looks twice at mil gear around here.
>>
>>34756973
Found this:
it looks like an extensive explanation of the MOLLE system and all the different iterations and even the pouches

http://www.ncat.edu/divisions/academic-affairs/rotc/army/assets/downloads/army-rotc-resource-files/leader-development-and-assessment-course-information-files/MOLLE-Use-care.pdf.
>>
>>34756973
UCP backpack isn't stolen valor.
wearing full uniform and asking people for vet discounts will get you scrutiny tho
>>
>>34757621
Around here, a lot of places ask if you're military so they can give you a discount.
It usually goes like this:
"Are you military"?
"No, but I have a lot of guns"
or
"I'm an Army of One"
or
"Is there a militia discount?"
>>
>>34758351
>are you military?
what's the discout on coors if I were?
>>
>>34756865
They're in the wrong spot and/or aren't strong enough.

You, the parachutist, are falling at between 25 and 35 miles an hour depending on how much you weigh and how windy it is (this is why there are so many jump injuries. You ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want to hit the ground while you still have your pack strapped across your thighs (it's across your thighs because your main chute is on your back and your reserve chute is on your chest), so it's tethered to you with a 50 foot "lowering line". When you're between 55 and 200 feet in the air you pull the release on your lowering line and your backpack FUCKING FREEFALLS until it hits the end of the lowering line.

If you have a heavy backpack (which you will in actual combat or on a jump with an actual follow-on mission and it isn't just stuffed with your daki), it would rip out the carry straps, which is why the white straps tucked in beside the framesheet are like 2" wide and Kevlar instead of half-inch wide nylon.
>tfw they still occasionally tear off or slip out of the lowering line and burn in
>>
>>34758745
Damn, good explanation. I wouldn't have never thought a backpack would generate that kind of force.
So what should I do with the straps?
>>
File: SmartFeels.png (208KB, 807x935px) Image search: [Google]
SmartFeels.png
208KB, 807x935px
>>34756973
>>34757295
I was an 11b and i give 2 fucks about people using military gear, I don't think any vets care. The only thing we care about is people purposely lying about service and misrepresenting us, or trying to garnish sympathy or resources under false pretenses. Wear all the gear you want, it's a free country. Get weird with it
>>
>>34758839
Like I said originally, either ignore them or cut them off.
>>
>>34758889
Cav here.

I really, really don't want civvies wearing UCP. Not because of any "stolen valor" or anything but because I wish it would just hurry up and be forgotten about. Blech.
>>
>>34758913
We used to call it ACU. Are they called UCP now? They look OK in urban environment, that's about it
>>
>>34758913
Is spray paint a viable option?? What patterns could I do?
>>
>>34758934
Technically the cut of the uniform is ACU regardless of what camo it's in. Your mutlimeme and US4CES/scorpion/whatever uniforms are still ACU's.

The camo pattern is UCP. Universal(ly works nowhere) Camo Pattern.

And no, it doesn't look OK in an urban environment unless your urban environment is freshly power-washed cinderblock construction.

>>34758938
RIT dye or Benning's red clay. Surprisingly, the pattern looks pretty alright with some brown or brownish red in it.
>>
>>34758913
That's my only complaint with it; it looks awful by the AR 670-1 standard, and it looks awful when the truck driver standing in line at Sheetz is wearing XXL UCP pants and a greasy orange t-shirt.

UCP manages to look worse when it's new, so unless you're actually putting some real wear and tear on the fabric, it's never going to look decent.

>>34758967
>Benning's red clay
Fucking Shelby had a nice shade of red. Left quite the imprint on my IBA codpiece.

Any RIT dye? Going to use the old combat shirts as range shirts, wanted some dye ideas.
>>
>>34758967
>the pattern looks pretty alright with some brown or brownish red in it.

ohhhh... that sounds kinda interesting... I may buy another set and try that. Any guidance on that method with the RIT?
>>
>>34759013
RIT is pretty straightforward.
>take tub you don't mind being stained
>fill with water
>add what the bottle of dye says to add, it's pretty accurate on its dosage
>soak for about 3/4ths as long as it says to
>pull out, let air-dry somewhere you don't mind it dripping (IE, outdoors)
>check shade when fully dry
>if you want it darker, soak it again

>>34758967
Their fabric dye anyway. RIT makes dyes for fucking everything, make sure you don't accidentally buy vinyl/plastic dye.
>>
>>34759013
>>34759001
>https://www.ritdye.com/techniques/
Everything you need to know about applying it
>https://store.ritdye.com/liquid-dyes/liquid-dye-8-oz-harvest/?utm_source=Core_HarvestLiquid&utm_campaign=ShopNow
>https://store.ritdye.com/liquid-dyes/liquid-dye-8-oz-cocoa-brown/?utm_source=Core_CocoaBrownLiquid&utm_campaign=ShopNow
The two colors I'd recommend trying
>>
>>34758889
>Get weird with it
i like you man you're cool (03 here)
>>
>>34758967
They blended in pretty well in Baghdad. About the best you can do being in an urban shithole
>>
Molle 2 assault pack my dude. The main pocket accepts a camelbak, the front pocket has snaps to accept a 6-mag bandoleer and you can also attach the waist pack, sustainment pouch and/or any other molle pouches you might want to the outside to increase capacity. My only complaint is that the corners of the plastic stiffener can bend outwards and end up poking and chafing at your back.
>>
>>34756001
that assault bag sucks get rid of it
>>
>>34759094

what order should I dip them?

And winch pattern so you think would be best for this? The newer UCP design or the older "ACU" pattern?

(went to the store to but another pair to test it on, but found some multicam, so I bought those instead)
>>
>>34759820
Shit m8 multicam is good to go as is. I'd only bother dying the UCP, which is the mostly-grey one.
>>
>>34759103
Never got down to Baghdad. Mosul, Balad, Sinjar, and Tallafar are all pretty solidly tan. One of the best camo "patterns" we had were our tan 2 piece flight suits (my last deployment predated the FRACU's and I wore a lot of the elvis-collared DCU's).
>>
File: 150189981815642205359.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
150189981815642205359.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Just bought one of the older woodland US surplus ponchos and I noticed some white discoloration around the seams. It almost looks like the waterproofing is separating from the material.

Is this a problem hand is there a way to keep it from getting worse?
>>
Yeah, the multicam was a pleasant surprise. No plans to dye them!
But I'd like to see some ACM/UCP turn green or coyote...
>>
File: 1493313199013.jpg (26KB, 350x250px) Image search: [Google]
1493313199013.jpg
26KB, 350x250px
>>34759919
I was stationed on a small base near Balad my second tour(same anon btw), called FOB Paliwoda. We shut it down. My Platoon didn't patrol Balad tho, we had a large swath of Sunni tribal area north up, random towns.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.