[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gunsmith training: what's my best bet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1501157341102.jpg (69KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
1501157341102.jpg
69KB, 680x510px
Hey folks. I'm interested in recieving training to become a gunsmith. Yes, I know it's mostly relatively boring stuff like mounting scopes, assembling parts kits, refinishing, et cetera. I'm in need of a reliable source of income, and gunsmithing would be a good way to achieve that.
What's the best way to recieve training in gunsmithing? Are apprenticeships for it available, generally speaking? Are there any good online or mail-in courses available that would actually provide me with a gunsmithing license when I complete them? If so, what do they cost in terms of money and time?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>34755504
The Ark had some gunsmithing tutorials.
>>
On same boat going to go into infantry and have no clue what I'm going to do after. I'm considering gunsmithing so far
>>
>>34755504
>online courses
Fucking no.

Going to a school is your best bet. You'd have a really hard time getting an apprenticeship with zero experience. Alternatively, learn machining and take up gunsmithing after you're proficient at machining.

>gunsmithing license
No such thing.
>>
>>34755504
Also, if that stuff sounds boring to you, you should consider another career. It doesn't pay very well so there's no reason to get into it if you don't love it. If freshly blued metal doesn't get your dick rock-hard then this isn't the career for you.
>>
>>34755504
>I'm in need of a reliable source of income, and gunsmithing would be a good way to achieve that

this is where you are totally wrong

if you want reliable $$ then go into computer programming

AFAIK gunsmiths are almost likes artists there are zillions of them and only a few make $$
>>
>>34755504
Lassen College is a good one, that's where Bob Dunlap taught, maybe John Bush as well, but there are good gunsmithing schools sprinkled throughout the country.
Knowing how to weld and having machinist skills is invaluable, otherwise you're just an armorer, not a 'smith.
Parts kits and broken guns to repair along with repair parts will likely cost as much as tuition itself, plus specialty tools...but you'll come out with a great collection that you know inside-out.
If you find one aspect you truly enjoy or are exceptionally good at, focus in on it like a laser beam.There are people making a living doing one specialty, whether it be case hardening or G3 trigger packs, tuning SAAs, etc.
Get your welding and machinist skills down though, because those transfer to so many other vocations and can open doors to other opportunities if the gunsmithing thing doesn't work out.
>>
Why not try Sierra Desert Institute that shillcuck45 is always shilling for?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.