[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

recommend a 'first' handgun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: Luger-1900.jpg (43KB, 930x558px) Image search: [Google]
Luger-1900.jpg
43KB, 930x558px
hi /k/ i'm thinking about buying a handgun
i haven't fired a gun since i was a kid and now i want to purchase a semi-automatic pistol
i have about $1200.00 to use for this purchase
i know you guys seem to hate 9mm, but that's the caliber i was thinking about
for now, i basically just want to get a gun and go shoot paper for fun
>>
>>34754915
If it's your first, buy something good but cheap ($400 - $600) and use the rest on ammo and range time. You will shoot your first handgun a ton (if you are not a faggot) and buying some fancy, tactical dimepiece is not recommended until you down the road.
>>
>>34754915
Sig P320
>>
>>34754915
glawk 40
>>
>>34754915
cz75
>>
>>34754915
if you want an investment piece to keep i'd suggest:
Glock 17 or 19.
Both 9mm
Lots of aftermarket parts and options so you can upgrade and build your own.

otherwise there are plenty of budget options where you can leave money for ammo
>>
>>34755075
>investment piece
>glawk
nigga u dum
>>
Basic bitch glock 19 or other wonder nine, affordable to shoot and won't teach you bad habits when starting off with one
>>
>>34755103
Unless your Glock throws brass in your face, then you might develop a flinch.
>>
>>34755092
an investment doesn't necessarily have to be something that will increase in value with age.
It can be something that you can put time and money into and build it into a wondergun.

1911s and brownings these days are so hit and miss with prices marked up because of "muh 1911" hald of them shouldn't be worth more than 300 based on reliability
>>
>>34754984
This.
>>
>>34755138
>an investment doesn't necessarily have to be something that will increase in value with age
Yes, yes it does.
>>
>>34754942
>some fancy, tactical dimepiece
kek. that's not what i want.
i just want to get a gun go shooting
i'm not set on spending all of that $1200.00 on a gun, but i'll still be able to buy ammo and go to the range is i do spend it all

>>34755075
>>34755092
why so much hate for Glock on /k/ ?
are they really that bad?
>>
>>34754915
Beretta 92s are great, H&K has both the VP9 and P2000 and some P30s that arent too pricey, and Walther PPQ with the $100 rebate is a great deal too.

For $500-700 you have some great options anon. I'd hold off on a gucci piece though, spend about half on the gun and save the rest for practice or general savings.
>>
>>34755185
I'm not hating on Glock i'm just pointing out that it is not an "investment grade" firearm.
>>
>>34755198
>hating on Glock
i didn't specifically mean you.
there seems to be some widespread hate for them on /k/
>>
>>34755185
They arent bad, just boring to the point of disinteresting.

They are popular, but if you want your first pistol to be "fun", then a Glock isnt really it, anymore than a Honda Civic is a "fun" car. It may be more fuel efficient and get groceries just as well as a sportier car (ie., mustang of your choice), but it just doesnt have the same "cool factor".

It's largely personal preference, just make sure you enjoy your first. That way you'll be inclined to shoot it more.
>>
>>34755217
It's because they're mediocre guns that have been over-hyped to hell.
>>
>>34755169
>>34755198
>Investments are something you buy or put your money into to get a profitable return.
The profitable isn't necessarily money but can be some other form of benefit, in ths case the return would be a better gun every time you upgrade, and with parts readily available they will serve you along time.

While it is something you can do with a 1911, OP hinted that he would prefer 9mm, and besides half the aftermarket parts on the 1911 require adjustment and fitting, whereas on the glock its plug and play.

To be fair i can't name a current in production pistol that will increase in value aside from rare sig editions

>>34755185
Glocks are alright, they're not fantastic but they get the job done.

Most of the hate are from fanboys or money flaunters who like to show how much money they have. It mostly comes down to Glock vs 1911.
>>
File: 1480207092785.jpg (66KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1480207092785.jpg
66KB, 600x450px
>>34755245
>It mostly comes down to Glock vs 1911
No. 1911s are obsolete and Glocks are just not great either.
>>
>>34755266
I was comparing the main argument.

I'd have to agree.

I'm a SIG person myself, brownings are OK if you build them right, and i admit i enjoyed my XDM until it stopped cycling.
>>
>>34754915
Alright OP, so /k/ is gonna argue incessantly about which pistol type is better, but to tell the truth, it's not about which gun is "the best", it's which gun is "the best for you".

Everyone's needs are different, and almost every gun suggested here (p320, Glock(tm) brand Glocks, etc) will do what you want it to do. The key is choosing the one that does what you want it to do in a way that fits your shooting style better than the others.

You say you haven't been shooting since you were a kid, so I assume that means quite little experience with handgun shooting. You also say you want to shoot paper for fun, so it's also a safe bet that you want to work on your marksmanship.

Disregarding the whole conversation about "min stoppin' powah" and such, if really all you want to do is shoot paper, then bug a Ruger in .22 lr, and here's why. .22 lr makes the .45 ACP lovers scoff because it's a comparatively weak round, but it does exactly what you want it to do, which is make holes in paper. .22lr is available on almost every ammunition shelf in America, and despite not being dirt cheap like it used to be, is still the most affordable way to head down to the range and have some fun. You won't break the bank every time you shoot, and depending on where you live, you can even practice marksmanship in your backyard. Ruger are cheap, reliable, and highly praised for how fun and simple they are.

For someone like you, who's relatively new to handgun shooting, who wants to have fun and doesn't want a firearm for self defense, a Ruger is the best thing k can recommend for you.

Despite everything I've just said, you should really ignore this thread and just go to your local gun range. Find a wide variety of makes, models, calibers to rent and just set aside a few hours to shoot and see what you like. A lot of factors that influence how well a marksman can shoot vary from person to person, like hand size, shape, build, etc.
>>
File: Snapchat-1845268023.jpg (879KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1845268023.jpg
879KB, 1440x2560px
>>34754915

>You guys hate 9mm

No, there's a few retards that post here a lot and most of us have gotten to where we ignore them.

Buy something 9mm reliable that can eat cheap steel case rounds if you don't want an uber cheap to shoot 22lr. Compare prices at a gun shop with gunbroker prices to see if you're getting a good deal, expect to pay a couple percent more at a shop.

If I had to suggest a 9mm I'd go with a G34. It's easy to shoot, reliable, has a larger sight radius despite only being the size of a 1911 (large sight radius means a lot for accuracy), you'll always be able to find cheap parts and magazines so you know you can keep it running forever if you ever did have a problem, and if you don't like anything they retain their value very well on armslist.
>>
>>34755322
>ignore this thread
haha.. i know, and thanks for your reply.
as a regular lurker, i just had to come here and start a thread.
>>
>>34755322
>>34755360

Tldr;

>glock or p320 for striker
>Beretta 92, CZ, or p226 for da/sa
>1911 from reputable manufacturer or browning high power for SA only
>>
I bought a p226 and have no complaints.
>>
>>34755423

It takes 2 minutes to read each you fucking tard.
>>
P99 SAO
>>
>>34755014
problem solver
>>
>>34754915
You'll spend more on anmo than you ever will on a gun (assuming you actually enjoy gunz) so keep that in mind. as Nutn would ask "what is you POU? Plinker, concealed carry, home defense, backup weapon? Decide that and you can narrow it down from there.
>>
>has $1200 to spend
Get an M9A3 OP
>>
Get a glock or a beretta in 9mm.
>>
File: ppk.jpg (6KB, 262x192px) Image search: [Google]
ppk.jpg
6KB, 262x192px
Walther ppk
.32 ACP
>>
>>34754915

get a ruger sr22 pistol in 22lr

shoot it 1000rds and if you still like shooting you can sell it ezpz for a bigger dick

go to local range take $100 intro class get to try several different pistols & revolvers

otherwise 9m is great look at ruger sr9 sr9c 9e american

spend $500 on gun the rest on ammo & range fees
>>
>>34754915
Go to the local range and rent a bunch of stuff.
>>
>>34754915
mauser c9
>>
>>34755217
Its because they are pieces of shit that are about as likely to explode as they are to hit jamal down a long hallway
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.