[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What am I missing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: Screenshot_2017-08-04-07-19-25.png (361KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-04-07-19-25.png
361KB, 1440x2560px
Why do people buy expensive air rifles when they can be outperformed in every way by a 22lr? This thing costs 1700 dollars and im just thinking to myself what kind of real guns I could buy with that money. Besides being a britcuck why would any American buy this?
>>
File: girandi-mechanics1.jpg (65KB, 600x424px) Image search: [Google]
girandi-mechanics1.jpg
65KB, 600x424px
To be honest I would love to have an effective air rifle that performs similarly to a firearm.
Like a modern semi-auto version of the girandoni air rifle
>>
>>34753188
>cheaper to shoot
>quieter
>legal to shoot in places firearms aren't
>doesn't need as much of a backstop
My neighbors live far enough away I can shoot squirrels out of trees with a pellet gun safely. With a .22 I might arc one down on their car or something.
>>
>>34753188

A lot of shooting competitions use only air rifles. You can shoot them in your backyard and usually nobody cares. I mean what good is owning a 1000+$ firearm when you can't even shoot it but 3 - 4 times a year because the closest range is an hour away, whereas with an air rifle you could shoot it year round all day long. Granted I don't think I'd spend more than 400 on an air rifle, but if you're using it for hunting you might want one like in the OP.

Though technically it's still illegal to shoot an air rifle in your backyard, nobody cares.
>>
>>34753296
>>34753313
But wouldnt it be cheaper to buy a gamo that shoots .177 pellets at 1400 fps for 140 dollars at wal mart than 1700 dollars for something that requires an air compressor to shoot the same pellet 400 fps slower? Im saying why would you want something like that over a regular pellet gun.
>>
>>34753188
Like any hobby people spend absurd amounts of money on it. That gun is somewhat like you dropping 8k on 50 cal. Like the bike tribe they like to brag they can actually afford top of the line shit while normal hobbies we can only afford midgrade shit.

Honestly though op? I'm seriously considering replacing my 22 with a PCP setup. For precision training, 10m inside your house or apartment is doable. Single stroke pneumatic or a PCP will do that for you and you can train every week. Now that Benjamin has a semi-auto PCP you can start training transitions and multiple rounds on target. It'd cost about the same to get a semi auto, single shot, and handpump as to get a decent bolt gun and semi. Then you're paying 20% what you pay for a 22 round and can spread your training out.

Once they crack a semi-auto handgun with PCP the 22 will become less viable as a training tool. It'll stick around because it is more fun and more effective for hunting. But for what most of use the 22 for, an airgun is increasingly a good alternative.
>>
Look at paintball guns, same thing

A decent paintball gun costs at least as much as a Glock, then requires more money in terms of other equipment like air tanks

There are paintball guns that sell for semi custom 1911 prices on up
>>
>>34753427
>.177 pellets at 1400 fps

Those velocities are achieved using ultra lightweight pellets that immediately tumble and hold no accuracy. It's a marketing scheme.
>>
>>34753188
What you're missing is different guns provide different funs.

I can't fathom why people would buy a .22LR AR looking thing over a Marlin-or-Savage bolt action or even the 10/22 but I don't whine about it.
>>
>>34753511
Tippman 98 costs 150 bucks and is pretty much the glock of the paintball gun world.
>>
>>34753188

Because yuropeans can't buy guns without selling their soul to the government
>>
>>34753427

Accuracy, that air rifle will have a more consistent velocity and break barrel pellet guns are inherently inaccurate
>>
>>34753188
Speaking of which, got some crows causing trouble and need to shoot them when they're sitting on branches. What's a decent entry level air rifle
>>
File: 858196.jpg (182KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
858196.jpg
182KB, 880x660px
>Why do people buy expensive air rifles when they can be outperformed in every way by a 22lr?
>>
>>34753793
>buy .308 for 400 dollars
Still performs better
>>
File: mZFfmJC.jpg (24KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
mZFfmJC.jpg
24KB, 480x720px
>>34753826

>308

Ew, what are you, a fucking caveman?

30-06 my man. Trust me.
>>
>>34753842
Ok grandpa
>>
>>34753427
What everyone else has said pretty much. You can't move a pellet faster than about 1200FPS without it tumbling. Break action pellet guns are really great, but they aren't very accurate or consistent compared to a PCP. And with a PCP, you get both consistency and accuracy, and something most people don't seem to consider, but you actually get follow up shots. And most PCPs are able to be charged with high pressure hand pumps. On average they contain enough air for 20 shots. They're great for hunting small game. If your main hobby is hunting then a PCP would be a great option for you. A .22lr may outperform, but you can't shoot a .22lr in nearly as many places as you can shoot an air rifle.
>>
>>34753188
TIL that they make air riles that cost more than a couple hundred bucks.
>>
>>34753881
>implying 308 isn't a ballistically inferior cartridge
Real men shoot 7x57 Super Ackley Improved
>>
I have a 1500fps .177 cal air rifle (break barrel) this is probably a stupid question but could I stuff a 17hmr projectile in there and shoot it?

I think no.. But it would fit wouldn't it?
>>
>>34754089
lead bullet you could probably do so. A jacketed projectile might fuck up the less robust rifling in an airgun.
>>
>>34753723
those are trash tier, more like the hipoint of the paintball world
>>
>>34753759
I disagree. I can snipe the fuck out of squirrels and chipmunks with my benjamin titan. That thing is plenty accurate.
>>
I guess that makes sense but usually farmers have alot of land and have better options for varmints. I've shot many racoon with the gamo at least 30ft away with no accuracy problems. If I had land to shoot I'd be using 17hmr and 223.
>>
>>34753826
>goalpost moving
>>
>>34753313
>because the closest range is an hour away
Commit to your hobby and drive an hour, that's really not far. Spend a Saturday ans make a day of it.
>>
>>34755318
>completely different person making a different argument
>goalpost moving
>>
>>34755374
>original argument was .22lr outperforming all airguns
>post airgun outperforming .22lr
>muh .308
>>
>>34755416
Because everyone in a thread must make the same argument as op
>>
File: IMG_1043.jpg (42KB, 533x398px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1043.jpg
42KB, 533x398px
>>34753511
Ya well the reason for that is paintball is a pretty competitive sport and it does require the player to buy high end gear to have a chance in most matches
>>
Aren't top tier airguns more precise than firearms?

IIRC the gas pressure propelling the projectile is more consistent than the equivalent from powder.
>>
>>34753188
Because you can't do this with a rifle without scaring the others off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuqXlJbbxtE
>>
Here's a guy taking a deer with a 25 caliber silenced air rifle that's pretty cool also with a hand pump and a brick of lead you can pretty much shoot for free if you don't mind casting your own pellets
https://youtu.be/J4WkRTqtWIc
>>
>>34755476
For $1,400 you can get air guns that will make one ragged hole at 100 yards magazine after magazine after magazine
>>
I used to do computer work for an ex-felon that had one of these so he could continue to hunt. Got convicted of tax evasion and drug dealing in his 30's, did 10 years, was still in the process of getting his rights restored at the time. But he loved hunting, so he had some airgun setup that he told me cost him ~$3k and that was many years ago.
>>
Firearms are prohibited to shoot in city limits where I am but I can take bunnies with my 25 Marauder in the backyard and not bother the neighbors
>>
>>34754707
We are talking about "multiple pellets in the same hole" levels of accuracy, you cant achieve that with a walmart break barrel
>>
>>34753188
>Be my dad.
>Drops $10K to repaint and put a new roof on the house.
>Woodpecker starts drilling into newly painted house.
>Yells at woodpecker, woodpecker doesn't care.
>Tries fake owl. No effect.
>Tries fake owl on pole. No effect.
>Calls up me, son who likes to shoot.
>We plot.
>22 LR, too loud, not legal, and not safe.
>.410 too loud, and not legal. Birdshot would be safe though.
>Air rifled?
>Quiet, legal, and quite sufficient to kill woodpecker. Bonus: could also shoot in backyard using inexpensive bullet trap.
>Agree to get air rifle and dispose of woodpecker when I visit in a few weeks.
>Meanwhile, Dad spots woodpecker entering hole in tree.
>I got you now fucker.
>Garden hose
>Woodpecker fucks off.
>Agree air rifle is our go-to if something else like this happens again.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.