[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advantages of lever actions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0882.jpg (56KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0882.jpg
56KB, 736x552px
What specific advantages do lever guns have over other mechanisms like semi, bolt, pump, and single shot?
For a civilian in the US is the lever gun still a relevant choice for a main arm? Or am I limiting myself severely for choosing one?
>>
Fun to shoot. Not really any tactical advantage. I hear they are more difficult to shoot in the prone though.
>>
>>34747727
all you have to do is rotate the gun ~75 degrees to either side, its slower prone but faster everywhere else.
>>
>>34747688
>For a civilian in the US is the lever gun still a relevant choice for a main arm?
That depends entirely on what you're doing. I have a Marlin 336 in .30-30 that is still the most handy deer rifle when I go into thick brush or when I know my shots aren't going beyond 50 yards. If I was limited in my options if someone broke it, I'd take it. Unlikely SHTF scenario occurs? I'll take my chances with the AR.
>>
Not particularly.
>>
File: 1496674915897.jpg (73KB, 852x960px) Image search: [Google]
1496674915897.jpg
73KB, 852x960px
>>34747688
A lever action is faster than a bolt in most scenarios and is probably more accurate than you are, along with most guns.
Lever actions today are not obsolete to all but automatics.
If you shop smart and pick a BLR or long ranger you wont be let down.
Also second to none in Aesthetics
>>
>>34747688
Probably the best defensive rifle action there is if high capacity semi autos aren't available. Also the absolute best choice for hunting in brush. Reloading sucks, but it's the same concept as most pump shotguns. The whole shooting from prone thing is a meme, it's only slightly harder to shoot with a lever gun from prone as opposed to a bolt gun.
>>
>>34747858
>Also the absolute best choice for hunting in brush
Want to substantiate that claim?
>>
>>34747886
not that guy, but i can also attest to that. my BLR dosnt have a giant fucking bar off to the right to grab sticks and briars
>>
File: Savage model 99.jpg (52KB, 900x484px) Image search: [Google]
Savage model 99.jpg
52KB, 900x484px
I have a Savage 99 in .300 sav and it is honestly my favorite gun to shoot.
>Loads from the top like a traditional bolt gun
>Internal rotary magazine with an ammo counter
>Short-stroke action makes it much easier to shoot prone
>Short, lighter rifle with a good weight balance
>Laser accurate at 200 yards +
>
>>
File: uk legal lever action.jpg (142KB, 790x579px) Image search: [Google]
uk legal lever action.jpg
142KB, 790x579px
>>34747688
your best bet for AR in UK, cant think of anything else
>>
>>34747886
Everything is vertical, so less junk to get in the action. Most people seem to have an easier time bring a lever gun to their shoulder than a bolt gun. Common lever gun cartridges are better suited to shooting than spitzer bullets commonly seen in other guns, though I will say that big bore ARs and guns like the Model 8 are also very good brush guns.
>>
>>34747688
What gun is this?
>>
>>34748196
>Everything is vertical
Fair point, but how is that an advantage? You're trading horizontal space for vertical space, and at a disproportionate rate at that. Bolt protrusion is as long as the bolt when closed, lever protrusion is as long as the lever when open.
>so less junk to get in the action.
In the action? Not a chance. Unless you mean in the way of the action, which doesn't matter as above.
>Most people seem to have an easier time bring a lever gun to their shoulder than a bolt gun.
That makes zero sense whatsoever.
>Common lever gun cartridges are better suited to shooting than spitzer bullets commonly seen in other guns
Dude what? No, spitzers have been the standard for over a century for a reason. But go ahead explain why you think so at least.
>>
Pls respond
>>34745289
>>
File: MOG.jpg (45KB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
MOG.jpg
45KB, 640x352px
>>34748110
>>
>>34748091
Wish Savage would make some of these again. I trust being able to rebarrel theirs more than I do a Henry LR.
>>
>>34748418
464 tactical abortion made by those guys who have no business making rifles.
>>
>>34747765
>slower prone but faster everywhere else
I challenge you to a target shooting competition. Standing, 30 yards, you with a lever gun of your choice, and me with an ar15. How will you ever be faster?
>>
>>34748496
From watching people shoot with various things, people seem to bring a lever gun up to their shoulder from a lowered position. Snap shooting I think it's called. Probably just a matter of correlation not equaling causation, but it always seemed people were faster to bring up and shoot a lever gun than a typical bolt action hunting rifle.

As for cartridges, what I meant was that round nose bullets like commonly seen with .30-30 and .35 remington perform better in brush than spitzer bullets like seen with .270 and .308. Spitzer bullets are easier for brush to deflect.

The vertical action thing we can ignore. I hadn't fully thought my reasoning out.
>>
>>34748629
Not to expensive looks tacticool, how does it shoot in 30 30 I just see alot in 22lr
>>
>>34748700
your stupid, thats not how this works
>>
>>34747688
fast compared to other manual actions. leverguns can be really thin and slim compared to everything else.
receivers are short since the boltsticks out the back when cycled
>>
>>34747688
brush gun, aside from that no real advantage other than its fun
>>
>>34747806
Thank you, gun Jeesus
>>
>>34751123
>your stupid
>>
>>34752708
This is what I thought when I decided to buy one. That, and that .45-70 looked like a really cool calibre.
>>
>>34747688
Fast firing obrez (aka Mare's leg).
That's it
>>
>>34752831
i fucking love them, my 30-06 lever winchester is hands down one of my favorite guns to shoot, and its a fantastic brush gun
>>
>>34748418
Australia special
>>
>>34752853
I'm still waiting for it to show in the mail (IT WAS SUPPOSED TO COME IN MID JULY RREEEEE), and am excited as a little child the day before Christmas. I bought a Marlin 1895 SBL, which will be a fun change from my long and heavy bolt rifle that's dolled up with a honking huge scope, suppressor and every way adjustable composite stock, bipod, mirage band++... The lever gun seems to lend itself more to shooting for fun, and it being a piece of old Americana sure doesn't hurt either. As long as I just overlook it being a newfangled abomination of stainless steel and laminate wood and the fact that I'll be sticking an Aimpoint or Swarovski 1-4 on it sooner than later (eyes aren't as good as they used to be), I reckon I'll have a ball playing at Clint Eastwood.
>>
>>34752909
fuck thats a pain in the ass but youre in for a good time when it comes, it really is an awesome feeling slamming that lever in between rounds and watching it eject and cycle, not to mention itl never tire you out if you take it hiking and still be more than enough for any self defense or game hunting
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.