[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hiking with Rifles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: 110830-M-ZE445-004.jpg (380KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
110830-M-ZE445-004.jpg
380KB, 640x360px
Does anyone on /k/ hike with their rifles? Any experiences worth mentioning about encountering people on trails?

I'm considering carrying a rifle on a 40 mile three day hike in a legal open carry state with a couple buddies who are also planning on carrying rifles. There's no question of legality, but I'm wondering how much attention it might attract.
>>
>>34745882
Its probally one of my favorite things to do.
>>
>>34745882

If you're ass deep in the woods, why not?
>>
>>34745882
Some would call it hunting. Might look into how you can make sure you don't get in trouble for hunting out of season.
>>
>>34745947
How far do you usually get before the weight gets to you?

>>34745964
I don't know how far the trail is from main roads honestly, I need to look it up. It's part of the Appalachian trail in western PA.
>>
>>34745882
Do it, I love taking my jungle carbine for walkies. Just make sure your rifle has a sling, shit gets heavy quick on long hikes.
>>
>>34745986
Yeah, that's a good idea, thanks!
>>
>>34745882
I hike alot in NM and see lots of pistols but fewer long arms. It shouldnt be be issue. If it becomes one it will probably be someone thinking you are poaching than carrying a rifle in itself.
>>
>>34745882
if I was hiking and somebody was hiking with their rifle on the same trail, I'd just like them to keep it pointed in a safe direction that is also not low ready.

Chamber flag indicator and no ammo on your person would go a long way to reassuring a game warden.
>>
>>34746107
>No ammo on your person
What's the point of carrying it then? I can understand the chamber flag, and maybe having no magazine, but not even bringing ammo seems kind of strange.
>>
>>34745882
Worse case scenario some authority comes to check on you because some normie doesnt know the law. You explain to them that you are within your rights and that should be the end of it. Anything below that like normies complaining or getting in your face shouldn't be a problem. I especially wouldn't be worried if multiple people are doing it. Just enjoy it.
>>
>>34745882
Is it really that fun to carry a rifle if you don't immediately need it to hunt? Typically you'd just leave a takedown in your pack or whatever and use a pistol for self defense.
>>
>>34746141
That would be for the game warden not for fellow hikers.

As a fellow hiker I'm totally cool with you having ammo.
>>
>>34746107
>>34746141
I too dont see a point. If its legal to carry loaded then you shouldnt have to be worried about it. If its not unless for hunting then you are setting yourself up to get in trouble.
>>
>>34746214
What kind of /k/ommando are you?
>>
>>34746141
Because you're a larper having fun holding his rifle in public and causing a shitstorm.
>>
>>34746222
A /k/ommando that doesn't enjoy lugging shit he's not going to use.
>>
>>34746224
kek
>>
>>34746107
I honestly don't think either of those things would make it any less scary to someone who doesn't know guns, a rifle is a rifle to them.
>>
>>34745986
I hike with a rifle often and I've never been accused of poaching but this is a concern I've had, if they have no reason to think that except the rifle could they do anything to you?
>>
>>34746224
Yes, it is fun to hike with your rifle, but why not bring some ammo just in case? Besides, the Appalachian trail isn't exactly in the middle of a big city.
>>
>>34746214
Me and some buddies did it when we were just wandering through the woods. It was pretty fun, don't know why t bh.
>>
>>34746232
If it's in your backpack are you not already "lugging" it?
>>
>>34746215
Ya, I understand that, but how is the game warden gonna know if you have ammo on you? He isn't gonna give a pat down.
>>
>>34746383
There's a difference in comfort and how the weight is distributed with carrying on a sling or at low ready compared to taken down and secured in your pack.
>>
>>34746345
I don't see how they could legally charge you with anything as long as open-carry is legal in that state.
>>
>>34746368
I'm not arguing for carrying an unloaded gun, you idiot. I was taking the piss out of anyone that carries an unloaded gun around with no ammo on your person.

It's like carrying airsoft guns around, except they could actually repel some non-melanin-enriched attackers who weren't terribly serious in the first place.
>>
>>34745988
Sorry amigo, but the AT is apparently supposed to be gun free zone, or atleast you aren't supposed to let others see you have a gun, it sucks but at least you won't have vegans and hippies giving you the stink eye and acting skittish and passive aggressive to you the whole time you're around them.

Whatever you end up doing have fun and take pics for /out/ (especially if you do bring the rifles I wanna see how they react)
>>
>>34746387
desu I'm not sure if they can or not. A quick google search says that they may actually have more rights to search you. I do know that carrying certain types of ammo is illegal while hunting and people do get charged with that. If it's waterfowl season having any lead shotshells is bad juju.

My thought is "if there's no ammo than I cannot be poaching".

>>34746332
Likely true. Still be a reasonable courtesy to extend.
>>
>>34746578
I googled around and I didn't read that, people seem to carry handguns all the time, at least everywhere except MD, NJ and some of the more northern parts. It depends on the state, but the appalachian trail doesn't have any trail-wide rules as far as I know.

I'll try to post pictures. Maybe if nothing else I will be able to give someone else advice on the same thing, good or bad.

I think we'll just do it. The turnaround point is right around the 19 mile mark, which is easily achievable in a day. If the rifles start attracting attention we can just cut a day off the hike and head back without getting too far from our vehicles.
>>
>>34745988
The at doesn't run through western pa.
Source: I live 1.5 miles from it in berks county
>>
>>34748030
My buddy lives there and recommended we start in Michaux state park. I guess that's central PA?
>>
File: mfw.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>allowing yourself to be detected by others while you hike
>bringing a rifle but still plan on hiking a trail like some soccer mom
>using trails
>>
>>34748217
Kind of central, but it cuts back east over to new jersey and new York eventually.
>>
>>34745882
I sometimes bring my .22 into the national forest. I. When I have the rifle I don't have to worry about some old Masshole dikes trying to make small talk with me when we pass each other on the trail. People will be skittish and just want to get away from you, beyond that nobody's going to do anything about three guys with long guns in the woods.
>>
>>34748698

>being an autist who larps in the woods
>>
>>34748698
My fellow hider, watup?
>>
>>34749639
If that's true in MA I bet anywhere else will be fine
>>
>>34746107
Why the fuck would you carry a gun and not ammo? To use as a fucking baton? Are you a fucking retard?
>>
>>34749746
No, there aren't any natl forests in Mass. The cretins that live there just insist on invading other freer states around them like some sort of patchouli- smelling locusts
>>
File: IMG_0754.jpg (129KB, 500x641px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0754.jpg
129KB, 500x641px
>>34748030
Strausstown?
>>
>>34749795
Training. If youre only planning on taking it to improve your fitness or your ability to hike with a weapon.
>>
File: IMG_20170617_164218.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170617_164218.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I do it all the time, just dont start threatening chinese people you come across.
>>
>>34746667

>pa fag here as long as you stay in pa you will be fine on the guise that you do not discharge your fire arm while hiking on the trail (unless you end up pissing off a bear or cougar and that isnt something you usually do on accident)
>>
>>34750534
Close to it.
>>
>>34745882
I don't take my rifle, but I do take my Smith 686 with me. .357 Magnum has enough power to drop just about everything around here. I do have a box of the Underwood penetrators in case I think I might run across anything really ugly.
>>
>>34751897

You should carry the penetrators already in the gun. If a bear attacks you, it could happen so quick you won't have time to change out the rounds.

They'd also be good for people as well.

That's a great carry option anon. I'm on the same boat as you. I had a 586 6 inch stolen and I'd feel like I'm wasting money buying the same gun. So I myself am looking into a Ruger GP100 6 inch.

Just can't decide between stainless or blued.
>>
I carry a 20 pound tool bag around at work and various rigging chains and equipment... Carrying a rifle all day would be nothing. But yes carry a rifle around in the woods if it feels right.
>>
>>34752811

I think the trick is to not go all tactical if you're expecting to see people. I visit a buddy of mine in Montana who loves STALKER games and he dresses up in all forms of military gear (hell, I do to when I go visit him) but we never expect anyone by where he lives, they're basically his woods.

On the other hand, back in Commiefornia, when I go out in some places, and I know I'll expect Chinks, Spics, and Liberals, I'll carry a scout rifle, and even then they'll call the cops/rangers, I feel like the only times they don't, is when they think I am one.
>>
>>34746578
doing section hike's through the ga-nc-tn area in the fall seasons had me out in hunting season. was not surprised to encounter folks using the trail for hunting purposes considering they have been hunting here long before there was a national trail.
most of the ones that i talked with were really great people.
the only (small) problem i had on one trip was waking up on a mountain top used as the starting point for a bear hunt. maybe 30 dogs trying to sniff my ass as i was packing up to leave.
even though the weather was nice the fact that i had a black backpack caused me to use my blue pack cover so i wouldn't be mistaken for a bear.
this was some time ago, but i doubt very much that it has changed any.
>>
>>34745882
Hiking on a public trail with a rifle makes you look retarded.

Just go off trail and do it, make the journey worth it. Those trails aren't meant for people to explore, rather its just for people not to get lost.
>>
>>34751821
Wanna do something?
>>
File: monk.jpg (60KB, 900x350px) Image search: [Google]
monk.jpg
60KB, 900x350px
>>34745882
>Does anyone on /k/ hike with their rifles?
>Former 0311 intensifies

Yeah it's more weight. Sling that bitch, hump that bitch. You'll find yourself holding it some anyway after it smacks your knee the tenth time.
>>
>>34746222
The normie kind.
>>
>>34745882
>40 mile three day

Fucking casuals.
>>
Clearly state to game wardens that .
I am not hunting or poaching
I am not spotting and I have no calls on me or
other hunting equipment
State your purpose and intention
State the gear you are carrying and
state that you are carrying your rifu and kit for the purpose of carrying it.

If you are carrying the rifu for self protection from large predatory animals
and predatory people...state that.

If you are carrying it for training purpose to acclimate yourself to ..carrying a rifu and a ruck..state that as a purpose as well.

If it is game lands and is game season - they have good standing to tell you to leave for any reason they can make up.

>>34752871
Let em call the cops.

>>34754993
Not having a rifle in the woods and even on a trail is retarded.
Bears and mountain lions are a fucking thing. Don't worry about what other people think.
Also sanctuary states are retarded - illegals are rapists and murderers.
Don't be a victim.
>>
Depends if its something that can be used against bears.

Spray is statistically more effective (Can be brought into action fast, doesn't need perfect aim and will deter defensive attacks) But some predatory bears will keep coming back for more if you spray them until you run out or they get the drop on you.

Also, if you carry your rifle slung over you back there is no way you can have it ready in time when a bear charges you unless you saw eachother from very far away, most times they come out of the bush within a few metres.
>>
If you're legally carrying your rifle no one can say shit except the game warden. In a free state cops will usually leave you alone unless you're being a dumbass and shooting towards roads/houses etc, if that's the case you deserve whatever comes your way.

The only real threat is the game warden accusing you of being a poacher. Dodging this is all in the kit. Ditch anything orange or that looks like a hunting vest, don't carry a spotlight. If you're hiking for three days in the wilderness, just having tents, tools, and a few days worth of food water and shit tickets is gonna be more than enough to convince a suspicious game warden you're doing no harm.

I wouldn't worry about people on your excursion my man, it's the denizens of the deep forest that you ought to be concerned about.
>>
>>34750861
Nice cross beds. Where's that at?
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.