[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Self-Preservation in a Strange World

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: cloverfield.jpg (267KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cloverfield.jpg
267KB, 1920x1080px
This is going to be a more hypothetical thread, but I wish to keep it grounded in practical self defence and disaster prepping.

Suppose monsters/ strange beings/ super-villains suddenly appeared in our world and became commonplace (think NBC's 'Powerless', the Marvel TV universe, Pacific Rim, or One Punch Man's setting), regularly wreaking havoc and mayhem on civilisation. While superheroes and organisations might (emphasis on 'might') appear in response to this threat, the average citizen is by and large unprepared for this sudden, out-of-context threat in their urban environment.

Thus, what preparations would you make for an attack that may be on par with a natural disaster, with the addition of malevolent intent? What would you carry on your person to protect your life from smaller threats while not attracting undue attention from authorities/heroes? If you decide to flee, where would you go and how would you do it? Finally, would you form a group, or go it alone?
>>
>>34743067
literally nothing that could possibly injure anything that size could be comfortably carried on your person on a daily basis. Unless you're 7 foot 4 and 400 pounds of muscle you're not going to comfortably carry a barret in a sling. You're better off just running past the company of tanks that will be sent in to deal with the threat.
>>
>>34743067
A satellite phone, and my bug out bag as an EDC

You still need defense against rioters and thugs, but your best bet is to gtfo whenever shit happens

Also move to the country rather than a major city, and have a remote backup home

I think that a world with that kind of environment would rapidly experience the decentralization of population centers
>>
>>34743107
That's why I specified SMALLER threats, i.e. creatures roughly the size of a bear/gorilla, or your average super-villain, or even looters taking advantage of the chaos (that last one will probably be the most common, if not the most dangerous). In any case, you just want something that can keep whatever it is at bay long enough to run for help, leaving the heroics to the heroes.

That's one of the reasons I made this thread; too many monster and superhero movies focus on the big picture, far removed from the civilians scurrying away in the background. What must they do to survive in a world that's no longer their own?
>>
>>34743067
2 options
- Stay and run the risk of being one of the nameless millions that die for dramatic effect when villain/monster of the week appears
- Leave and run the risk of being one of the nameless hundreds that die for creepy effect when villain/monster of the week appears

I mean, nobody ever just pops a cap in the Joker when he appears, but I guess that's not what you want to hear, so DRAGON DILDOS XD AM I FITTING IN YET.
>>
File: 1344746468130.gif (500KB, 500x222px) Image search: [Google]
1344746468130.gif
500KB, 500x222px
>>34743194
Funny how these guys only ever appear in New York, where the citizens are disarmed and the police force can't hit the broad side of a landwhale. The correct answer of course is a fucking gun, along with an intensive lobbying for a change to carry laws. I mean, what kind of an answer were you expecting?
>>
>>34743203
Running is a perfectly valid option, especially to less populated areas like >>34743139 pointed out. And how many times do I have to make clear that this isn't about wish fulfilment, but survival? You're not a hero or even a soldier in this scenario, and any violence you 'need' to commit is if there is no other good option.
>>
>>34743265
>I'm too illiterate to read a 60 word post
>>
>>34743288
No, you're not getting me. Running and staying both have risks, like most other critical decisions you make even in the real world. The question is, how are you going to mitigate said risks in this scenario?
>>
>>34743194
My bad, thought you meant taking on fucking kaiju or something.

With those parameters I immediately think of the avengers movie for some reason, with all those robo/terminator shits walking around and rounding people up. They look tough but clearly not above simple 9x19, as black widow is able to kill them relatively easy with her Glock 26's. Hell even Hawkeye does it with with a damn bow and arrow.

But then if we're talking something like ACTUAL terminators which are damn near unkillable with conventional small arms, you would need something much bigger, like .308 big at least. But at that point the enemy you're fighting really doesn't need anything bigger if foot soldiers are already so durable and plentiful, in which you'd probably be fighting the same enemies along with your military if it came to that.

So it's a scale dependent on how tough the foot soldiers are, the hordes of Loki needed fuckhuge flying worms to destroy building and bigger targets because their foot soldiers were about as weak as any human with the exception they could climb like motherfuckers. Whereas terminators are walking tanks that don't really need armored units or support units as they're capable of taking down enemy armor and structures by themselves.

So balance the durabiltiy of your enemy with the size of your caliber, the tougher they are, the bigger your bullet should be. Don't worry about not being able to carry much of a larger caliber as you'll be shooting at the same enemies as the military.

That's if you're being a self aggrandizing twat though, realistically; bug out bag and EDC, don't be a hero, let the military do it's job, protect yourself, your property, and your family.
>>
>>34743319
>The question is, how are you going to mitigate said risks in this scenario?
Look both ways before you cross the street.
>>
>>34743334
Yup, the Chitauri invasion in Avengers is a good example of what the average comic book civilian has to deal with on a regular basis. Though again, the consequences aren't realistically dealt with, given how quickly it was mended over and forgotten with few long-lasting effects.

And if you're also going to escape the city, how are you going to make sure you're away from the massive crowds sharing the same idea, which are almost certainly going to become targets once the monsters realise their victims are escaping?
>>
>>34743461
Hadn't thought that far

I really don't like cities, I'd sooner be out in the boonies than in a city, so I wouldn't be prepared for something like that if it happened

I might do what they did in cloverfield with the subway, and hope that I wouldn't get eaten alive by fleas the size of beach balls. Or hope that airlifting operations were underway.

Shitty part of that is New York is just short of being an island, where the majority of evacuation operations would be bottlnecked at the few bridges connecting it to Jersey and Brooklyn, as well as the ferry stations which would likewise be swamped. Bearing that in mind I'd probably leg it north, past Yonkers and New Rochelle, as far north as I could get on foot. Up to that point most of the roads are straight shots with little deviation, which by the time they split off I should be away from the main danger, at which point it'd be about hitching a ride on an evac convoy.

So all in all I'd take any overland route on solid ground first.
>>
File: 10mm-teeth-scary-explosion.jpg (57KB, 557x647px) Image search: [Google]
10mm-teeth-scary-explosion.jpg
57KB, 557x647px
10mm is all you need
>>
>>34744076
shooped
>>
>>34743139
This really makes a ton of sense. In a world where any major city is going to have a pair of super humans having a go at each other at least once every few weeks and likely some sort of massive invasion or other loss of life at least every couple years or so you'd think population centers would cease to exist and everyone would just work from home out in the country.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.