[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sharpening stones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Screen Shot.png (43KB, 186x253px) Image search: [Google]
Screen Shot.png
43KB, 186x253px
Jesus Christ, why are sharpening stones so expensive?

Just one mid-range sharpening stone and a stropping block can cost over $100 after tax and shipping.

>inb4 some rebranded Chinese stones on Amazon
>>
I like my Fallkniven sharpening stone. It cost me 25 bucks on Amazon and it's not Chinese shit.
>>
>>34741168
If you take care of them, they will probably last a lifetime, so there's that.
>>
>>34741356
/thread
>>
You can get natural stones for cheap. Look into one called "the oregon stone" also, you can find natural abrasive stones at hardware stores for like 10 bucks.
>>
>>34741551
They suck tho
>>
>WHY ISN'T EVERYTHING FREE??
>>
>>34741615
>WHY DO I PUT WORDS IN OTHER PEOPLE'S MOUTHS!??!??
>>
>>34741597
How?
>>
>>34741637
I'm not a scientist. I guess it's a combination of the size of the molecules in combination with how well they wash away the waste (stripped metal). There are a few methods to do it, but anyone that sharpens seriously goes through multiple grades weather it's sandpaper, waterstones, or jewelers compound.
>>
>>34741649
The grit? It's a measure of how coarse the stone is, or how big the flecks of industrial diamond are.
>>
>>34741781
The whole point was that natural stones don't have a very applicable grit. With many applications, yes, Arkansas stones will work, and last longer than you. If you care about sharpening, natural stones don't do that well.I am not a knife guy. I say this as a woodworker who has to get razor sharp chisels.
>>
a well maintained stone will last you forever, unless you literally have hundreds of knives to sharpen everyday. Or you bungle it and drop and crack a stone.
So in the end of the day, the stone makers have to profit by selling them at a higher cost.

Wait until you get good and decide you want to put a mirror polish with 10k+ grit stones or go ceramic AND getting a diamond lapping stone to keep everything flat.
Fastest way to drop close to $1000 in one sitting.
And if you ever want to go all natural, some japanese blue waterstones can get up to $800 for a single stone and those don't have the same consistency as a high end man-made stone due to it's nature.
>>
>>34741803
Not true, they don't remove as much material as quickly, but they do sharpen well. Throughout history this is what people have used to sharpen implements.
>>
File: stun.jpg (56KB, 811x531px) Image search: [Google]
stun.jpg
56KB, 811x531px
>sharpening stone
>$55
>expensive

cute.
>>
>>34741847
You don't have the same control though. A white stone might be 300-600 and a black might be 500-900
>>
>>34741865
Ok, I see your point.
>>
I have a lot of knives but only one shitty sharpening stone, should I grab a king 600/1000 stone or just get a sharpmaker?
>>
Just get the ones machine shops use lol
>>
Smith's tri hone, knives plus strop block.
$50 total and all you will ever need forever.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.