[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Colt a1 canceleld?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0711.jpg (572KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0711.jpg
572KB, 1632x1224px
Was it cancelled? Cant find anything about it from this year
>>
>>34738304
>MSRP $2699
Found your answer.
>>
>>34738390
Christ. Could probably build a better quality A1 clone for half that price.

Yeah it won't have the rollmarks but it's not like Colt invented the AR either.
>>
>>34738419
You could find a SP-01 for cheaper than that used with the roll mark. Fucking half that price
>>
>>34738390
>MSRP $2699
Why the fuck is it so expensive?
>>
>>34738427
SP1s are still like $1200-$1500 right?
>>
>>34738427
SP1 can never be considered A1 cause it was an amalgamation of Model 601 and A1 features.
>>
>>34738440
It's made for 'hardcore' Colt collectors (i.e. a-holes that buy-up Pythons and sell them for $3000 and up).
>>
>>34738419
Also the muzzlebrake is incorrect for the time period
>>
>>34738419
yeah they did
>>
>>34738440
dat pony tax doe
>>
>>34738548
No they didn't. Learn basic firearms history.
>>
>>34738448
If you find one yeah, that's about fair price
>>
>>34738548
>he doesn't even know what AR stands for
>>
>>34738548
yep, thats why i own several CT-15s
>>
>>34738304
And it's only assembled by Colt.
>>
>>34738714
Who the fuck builds it?
>>
>>34738427
SP1s are pretty nice rifles if you can find them for a bargain.

>>34738440
Because Colt collectors are mega autists.

>>34738448
Depends, I've seen a fair few go for under $1k
I think that they are pre-bans in some states make them worth more there.
>>
>>34738469
Pretty much. Though given how willy nilly Colt would slap A1 and pre-A1 production parts together (and later some A2 ones), you could stumble upon one that is rather close.

>>34738524
Actually, the transition from the prong to the birdcage happened gradually and you can absolutely find both SP1 and M16A1 rifles featuring either.

>>34738548
Eugene Stoner did, under Armalite. The idea of radial locking lugs and an inline stock was suggested to him by Melvin Johnson.

Armalite sold the design to Colt, who probably actually understood what an amazing thing Armalite was sitting on, and did some changes.
>>
>>34738440
>muh pony lower
>>
>>34738690
it stands for Assault Rifle you fucking idiot
>>
>>34739746
you mean agitating retards??
>>
>>34739823
*Anal Rapist 15
>>
>>34739862
Anti-gun Remover.
>>
>>34739896
legs heavy
>>
>>34739746
It stands for Asshole Remover, when it was first deployed to 'Nam, the slow twist rate of the early barrels led to many a Victor Charlie getting his asshole completely blown off from the tendency of the rounds to tumble on impact.
>>
>>34738419
You sure can. I built an A1 replica (minus lower, still waiting on NDS to make some more) that is original aesthetic and performs better than an original as well. All brand new parts except for furniture. For less than half of $2700.

I have about $1200 into my rifle and even I thought THAT was retarded. $2700 is absolutely insane. For that price it better have 50 mags and another 10k rounds in ammo included.
>>
>>34738975
>Actually, the transition from the prong to the birdcage happened gradually and you can absolutely find both SP1 and M16A1 rifles featuring either.
That transition happened during the XM16E1.

Early XM16E1s had chrome bolts, cast FSBs, no forge marks, and three-prongs flash hiders, and all of these things transitioned to forged FSBs, forge marked uppers, parkerized bolts, and birdcage flash hiders during the course of the XM16E1's life

M16A1s, once adopted, were essentially late XM16E1s on full fence lowers, with the modern buffer design and A1 stock. Absolutely no M16A1s came with three prong hiders from the factory, though they have have been fucked with by armorers.
>>
>>34738304
It was too beautiful for this world.
>>
>>34740816
>Absolutely no M16A1s came with three prong hiders from the factory, though they have have been fucked with by armorers.
Must have been what I've seen then.
>>
>>34738721
Some subcontractor?
>>
File: Girls.jpg (77KB, 600x536px) Image search: [Google]
Girls.jpg
77KB, 600x536px
>>34739746
salt riful hurrrrrrr
>>
Where the fuck did Colt go so wrong?

>Be a household name in firearms for most of American history
>Be known for a broad range of military and civilian firearms
>Get the lions share of the M16 contracts for decades
>Instead of doing any kind of R&D or expanding your manufacturing, do literally nothing with all the governmentbux you earn
>Other companies start producing 1911s that rival or surpass yours in quality at a much lower price
>Completely kill off your legendary revolver series
>When the Army asks for an ACR prototype, give them an M16A2 with a sight rail bolted on top because you are too damn cheap and lazy to actually innovate like ANY of the other applicants
>Become completely dependant on military contracts to stay afloat
>Despite being your one lifeline, manage to lose huge contracts to FN
>Your first instinct is to bring back one of your legendary revolvers, except its a model nobody asked for and its still outclassed or at least rivaled by cheaper competitors
>Your second act is to re-release a gun you made almost 50 years ago, except charge TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED UNITED STATES DOLLARS for it even though other manufacturers have been making the same thing but half the price for many years now

Colt is a fucking joke. They make good guns but holy shit they are stupid when it comes to marketing decisions.
>>
File: 23.jpg (83KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
23.jpg
83KB, 620x350px
Hijacking thread to ask a relevant question.

I've been looking at building a M16A1 looking AR by buying a replica m16A1 lower, M16A1 barrel, and M16A1 parts kit.

Is this a good idea or are there better options available for me if my goal is just a M16A1 look alike?
>>
>>34738975
>the transition from the prong to the birdcage happened gradually and you can absolutely find both SP1 and M16A1 rifles featuring either.
SP1 rifles, sure. M16A1 rifles, no.
>Eugene Stoner did, under Armalite.
Eugene Stoner didn't work on the AR-15. Jim Sullivan did.
>>
>>34742302
I think they never really managed to brand themselves combined with very poor management led to a fractured disjointed uncompetitive company. Think about it
FNH makes military arms
H&K makes guns for special forces
Smith and Wesson make guns for police and civilian self defense. Also killing it in the revolver game which somewhat stems from their lengthy time making police arms
Glock does one thing and they do it well
Ruger makes civilian use guns that are decent and affordable and purposefully looks for niches in the gun industry that arn't fully developed on ie. LCP and their budget AR-15

Colt's only real game is the AR-15. A rifle they bought the rights to then developed a good bit in the 60-80s and since then Colt Canada has done 90% of the hard science. Then they have side projects like the 1911 and SAA which might as well be a different company because its completly seperate from the AR-15 side of the shop.

Colts focus has been for too long making a quick buck and then when it stops being profitable or they loose a contract they cut off a section of the company firing competent staff they need to be competitive. Thus they struggle to have any branding or tradition in the civilian market besides some loose concept of quality.
>>
>>34742698
Not to downplay Mr. Sullivan's role in making the AR-15 what it is today, but Stoner was in charge of the cartridge development for it.
>>
>>34742783
Yes, but otherwise did no other work on it.
>>
>>34742625
You need a upper without the deflector
>>
>>34742625
An M16A1 parts kit is going to be the best option.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.