[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm having trouble getting the safety back on to my K98

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20170802_190607.jpg (3MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170802_190607.jpg
3MB, 4640x3480px
I recently found this rifle hidden in a closet at my grandma's house. Everything but the stock belongs to a Mauser (serial # is 4581). I took the safety part off along with the bolt, but I can't get the safety back on properly. I'm pretty new to guns and this is my first post on /k/. My problem is with screwing the safety part back on, not getting the bolt in. Apologies for the post length.
>>
Did you take it out of the gun not on the middle position?

Did that to my Spanish Mauser and had to look up a YouTube video on how to get it back into place
>>
>>34737568

Hook the edge of the sear on the edge of a table or counter and pull it back, til you can flip the safety to the "middle" position. Then it will go together fine.
>>
>>34737846
(OP here) Thank you, it worked! I'm definitely going to research the weapon more, it's pretty weird finding a 1945 Mauser in a closet in the USA
>>
>>34737814
I took it out normally with the safety in the 1st position (no longer able to fire but bolt can be pulled). I found the solution below
>>
>>34737940
You'd be surprised how often it can occur.

Post pictures of the rifle
>>
File: IMG_20170802_200248.jpg (3MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170802_200248.jpg
3MB, 4640x3480px
>>34738011
The bag below is what the gun was in when I found it
>>
>>34738102

That's actually a not horrible sporter.

If you wanted you could pretty easily convert it back to military configuration with a bit of work, a few parts and a stock.

The pseudo schnabel forend is a nice touch.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>34737568
Stick the bolt in the gun so that it interfaces with the guide like this.

Lift the bolt handle.
Stick it in normally.
VOILA!!!!
Literally had this on day one of owning a Mauser.
>>
>>34738166
That's good to hear, I'm glad it wouldn't be that hard of a process to restore. I'm not sure if I should leave it as is or try to bring it back. It may have some real value as all the parts have the same serial number and I'm pretty sure it was made before the war ended (1945)
>>
>>34738229
Honestly, I don't really know what you're saying. I solved my problem by doing the "push against a table method" suggested earlier and I think you're solving a different problem than the one I had.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.