[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scout Rifles: Are they a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

File: $.png (3MB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
$.png
3MB, 1000x1333px
I am intrigued by the idea of a "scout rifle" kind of a jack of all trades rifle for mostly plinking and varmint eradication. Any one here have experience with them?

>inb4 get an AR
>>
>>34736013
They pretty much mini mountain gun. Rather have a 223 for plinking.

I wish they made a steyr scout stock for Mossberg MVP
>>
>>34736030
MVPs are trash. At least get a savage you brokedick
>>
>>34736013
>mostly plinking and varmint eradication
>7.62x51mm
They're like the short shorts of the durr hunting world. They're fun, super short, and everyone knows you're trolling for dick.
>>
>>34736048
But muh AR magazines
>>
>>34736048
Are they...? Does Mossberg have some QA problems I hadn't heard about?
>>
>>34736013
>mostly plinking and varmint eradication
But that's not the purpose of a scout rifle at all
>>
i recently bought a ruger scout and i'm very excited about it.
the thing is, there was a mishap with the paperwork and the delivery got delayed
i should be getting it within the next week, however.
when i save up enough money again, i'll surely pair it up with a nice revolver.
any recomendations?
>>
>>34736106
what if your varmints are coyotes and hogs in brush country?

>>34736107
>i'll surely pair it up with a nice revolver
Why not a stainless GP100 4"?
>>
Been looking at getting one of the savages on the left of OP pic for an upcoming backpacking trip innablackhills. Should I get .223 or go .308? Looking to maybe take a durr, but .308 would be way overkill for smaller game.
>>
>>34736072
Quite a few.
>bolts breaking
Mainly plagued the .308 models but there have been a few exhibited in the .223 models. Seems to have been rectified last year.
>stripping lugs having sharp bits or being too big or otherwise gouging the next round badly enough to be unsafe to shoot it
Continues to effect all models and has sparked 2 small recalls
>trigger groups so poorly assembled they would refuse to fire, trigger blade was milled wrong
Effected a small percentage of the Scout and Thunder Ranch rifles in all calibers
>stocks coming warped or cracked from the factory
Continues to effect all synthetic stock models
>action screw holes misaligned, action screws bent and bedding blocks warped or torn as they torque them down anyway
Effects a smalll percentage of all models and calibers
>factory scope base holes misaligned, factory screws stripped or broken off in holes
Continues to effect a small percentage of all models and calibers
>mag release nonfunctional
Continues to effect a small percentage of all .308 models
>rifles shipping with dangerously excessive (+0.12" or greater) headspace
Continues to effect a substantial percentage of all models and calibers
>triggers don't adjust anywhere close to what they say they do
So it's advertised as 2.5-5lbs and most people can't get it below 3.5lbs with many going up to the double digits. Partly due to a retard-strong firing pin spring (many people are cutting 2-3 coils off with no issue on functionality, some have cut as many as 8 coils off without issue), partly due to all the internal parts of the trigger looking like they were cut out of sandpaper. Can be cleaned up, and of course Jard makes a truly world-class aftermarket trigger for it.

And of course
>bolt slop
Most rifles it's simply an annoyance (hurr it's a feature!), but some bolt bodies are so ridiculously undersized that when combined with the for-looks-only, sharp edged bolt fluting you can bind up the rifle and gouge the rear of the receiver.
>>
>>34736299
And all of this is a goddamn shame, because the rifles fucking shoot. They're VERY accurate out of the box (if you can tame the horrible trigger), and they're novel designs that are simple to work on from a gunsmith's perspective and have a ton of potential. Just really, REALLY wish the QC was there.
>>
>>34736013
Scouts are Jack Cooper's idea of the "if you could only have one rifle" and it's what he came up with given the technology at the time.

What I think is more important than the actual technical features of the scout rifle is to consider the functional requirements:
>Lightweight
>handy
>quick to aim
>able to kill a bear

and why he picked the features of his Scout given the technology commercially available in the 80s

>high eye relief scope
that's what gave the best FOV given the technology at the time. Now we have holographic sights that are at similar price points for the optics Cooper would have considered.
>.308 Win bolt
bolt actions are lighter and can still withstand the .308 Winchester. But he went with .308 because of it's lethality - if there's another chambering that gives similar lethality to the .308 that can easily go into a lever action, or if you can get a light enough semi, go with that.
>16" barrel
to give the lowest possible length overall that's non-NFA. Bullpups weren't as common in Cooper's day.
>>
>>34736427
also, 308 do very well in short barrel
>>
File: QualityRating_4stars_large.jpg (10KB, 308x139px) Image search: [Google]
QualityRating_4stars_large.jpg
10KB, 308x139px
>>34736427
>>
>>34736013
stupid fudd shit
>>
>>34736313
>Just really, REALLY wish the QC was there.
It's obviously the budget choice then.
>>
File: rgs.png (297KB, 333x691px) Image search: [Google]
rgs.png
297KB, 333x691px
>>34736013
>Any one here have experience with them?

it balances right at the magazine both loaded and un. its light, its 308 and its accurate. theyre not popular enough to be cheaply customizable/upgradeable and your choice of optics are limited.
>>
>>34736630
>Jeans
>Innawoods

You'll be dead within a week

>>/Out/
>>
File: sealsnam.jpg (359KB, 1212x810px) Image search: [Google]
sealsnam.jpg
359KB, 1212x810px
>>34736673
>>
File: steyr-scout.jpg (186KB, 1000x558px) Image search: [Google]
steyr-scout.jpg
186KB, 1000x558px
>>34736013
For once, yes. Those are the hypothetical creation of one man to suit his very specific needs for hunting in the African bush. The number of people that could actually use it for the intended purpose is very small, and if you're one of them you already know.

>>34736427
and this is mostly why they were stillborn. The Steyr attempt was pretty rad but also limited both for the reasons listed and because the thing was damned expensive. "Building" your own seems to be the fad.
>>
Dont forget that you can throw a can on the end of them and shoot subsonic hand loads. I have also read of really good accuracy out of both the savage and the ruger. I am planning on the ruger for my next gun purchase
>>
I would love to get a .308 scout rifle setup, but I need to be able to take an elk at 400 yards. Is this something .308 out of an 18-inch barrel can accomplish?
>>
any scout guns in 300 or 338?
>>
>>34737108
Look at it this way. The military (read: "functioning retard behind the trigger") individual shooter maximum effective range of a 5.56 is 400m. So if you're above a functioning retard and using a weapon that's firing a much more powerful round out of a barrel of any discernible quality, you can make that shot.
>>
File: Mooseknuckle Brigade.jpg (30KB, 660x439px) Image search: [Google]
Mooseknuckle Brigade.jpg
30KB, 660x439px
>mfw Steyr is never gonna mass produce this thing
>>
>>34737108
Most were designed to be accurate with factory ammo up to 200 meters with iron sights. But with hand rolled or special ammo with a good scope then you could reach out (accurately) to 400 meters all day.
>>
>>34737108
175 grain matchkings go around 2420 fps in a 16 inch barrel. so it'll stay supersonic to 1000 in optimal conditions. the short barrel is capable.
>>
>>34737166
Savage makes one in 338
>>
>>34736048
Seconding Savage, my Axis II is a good gun.
>>
>>34737108
your optic is the question. do you have a rangefinder? do you know your adjustments for your load? can you make a wild guess about the wind? just zero'ing at 100 and trying to hold over at 400 could be difficult.
>>
>>34737166
>>34737539
It's the "hog hunter" model.
>>
I have an M1A Scout Squad as my MBR for fighting the communist pigs that infest my glorious state of Florida with their Marxist porcine ways.

All joking aside, you won't take a shot in Florida more than 100 yards, and a LER scope is super comfy when even shitty public land is at worst a 'target rich environment'.
>>
>>34737579
But with a 308 not that difficult.
>>
>>34736013
It's a gun with a very small roll in which it could be useful. A super light rifle to take hiking or inna woods that you take with you with no intention of having to hunt or defend yourself but just in case.
>>
File: Tikka_T3x_Arctic[1].png (99KB, 1600x435px) Image search: [Google]
Tikka_T3x_Arctic[1].png
99KB, 1600x435px
>>34737403
Why get that when you can get the rifle that won the trials?
>>
File: 2ir6udh.jpg (37KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
2ir6udh.jpg
37KB, 900x600px
>>34737594
I have a similar set up using the 2.75x burris scout scope...super comfy out to 200 yards. Honestly, I feel like this is the best set up for m1a, you get a modern optic with great eye relief and you don't have to use some dumb side mount rail that prevents you from loading off of stripper clips.
>>
I wish there was a company that would turn modern hunting rifles into "new" bolt action war rifles with a full length wood stick and bayonet lug
>>
>>34737068
That rifle is the ugliest hunk of shit I've seen all week. Steyr seems to be the Hyundai of guns.
>>
>>34739969
Fucking this. I'm tired of paying modern rifle price for a worn down, inaccurate surplus rifle. But with modern rifles you don't get an aesthetic stock or bayo lug.

It's surprising how many bolt actions exist, yet no company has ever thought to recreate a war rifle...
>>
>>34740051
>yet no company has ever thought to recreate a war rifle...
mitchell's mausers?
>>
File: ranger-rifle.png (72KB, 640x138px) Image search: [Google]
ranger-rifle.png
72KB, 640x138px
>intermediate scopes a shit

drunken inuk rifle ftw
>>
File: ranger-rifle-sized-copy.jpg (48KB, 840x630px) Image search: [Google]
ranger-rifle-sized-copy.jpg
48KB, 840x630px
>>34740143
>>
Scout rifles give me a serious case of the feels. I think it's an amazingly cool idea but I know I'll NEVER use it as it's intended.
>>
>>34740051
AIA made new Lee Enfields, including some neato shit like a 7.62x39 jungle carbine.
I think they've gone bust, though.
>>
>>34740132
Those are still old production, inaccurate Mausers. I'm talking like a Ruger m77 or cz550 with a military stock.
>>
>>34740226
>I'll NEVER use it as it's intended.
Same here but the draw is still there to have an "all around" firearm.
>>
>>34739904

This is literally my next rifle
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.