[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fuck the ATF

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

So, /k/,

If I understand correctly, the lower receiver is not undergoing any pressure or significant stress during the firing process. The upper is the "explosion chamber".

And the lower is the "firearm".

Except dumb shit as usual, why on earth is the lower the serialized part and not the upper, which would be much harder to nigger rig than the lower?
Is there a legit reason?
And since I guess there's not, why not make more garage builds with disposable lowers?
Sounds to me like a nice way to give the middle finger to the ATF while keeping costs low by skipping those pricey lowers or 80% kits and jigs.

>Pic related
>>
Not my rig although I think I will try it too.
100% legal and sounds like a fun project
>>
>>34735273
I'm curious to know if it fires more than once without needing repairs
>>
>>34735239
Gun legislation doesnt make sense because its made by people who know nothing about guns. Thats good for us because if they did they would make our lives even more miserable. That said, a wooden lower is a pretty cool idea. Add a rusted upper and stylize it right and you have a cool wasteland looking meme gun.
>>
>>34735239
because that's where Armalite thought it would be most convenient for them to put the serial number. They didn't envision that this would become a lego rifle - legos didn't even exist back then
>>
File: 1475176810021.jpg (76KB, 724x620px) Image search: [Google]
1475176810021.jpg
76KB, 724x620px
>>34735239
>pricey lowers
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 669x435px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 669x435px
>>34735369
This
>>
>>34735320
if i remember the wood lower was fucked in a few rounds and didnt make it though a mag
>>
>>34735383
>buying (((springfield))) ever
>>
>>34735339
Lego, ca. 1949
>>
>>34735472
This.

I regret ever buying my M1A.
>>
>>34735239
>The upper is the "explosion chamber".
They're not. The pressure vessel of an AR-15 consists of the barrel, the barrel extension, the breech face, and the bolt lugs.
>>
>>34735239
test it out you faggot I am intrigued.
>>
>>34736224
can you read faggot.
He said its not his.
And others have said it did not make it through a mag
>>
The reasoning is because they have to put the serial number somewhere, so you put it on the part of the gun that you're going to be replacing the least often as parts wear out.
>>
>>34735239
>>34735273
It didn't worked, as a matter of fact, that receiver cracked when it shot the second round and then went to shit when the third round fired. Then again, this stuff was pine wood, so unless there's a much tougher wood/wood construction, you're shit out of luck
http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8035&PN=2&TPN=2
>>
You put the serial on the component containing the trigger mechanism, just like every other fucking firearm on the planet. It's the part that makes a firearm a firearm.
>>
>>34736348
What about any hk91, 93, mp5, etc
>>
>>34736365
Agreed
>>
>>34736331
>Then again, this stuff was pine wood, so unless there's a much tougher wood
Pine is soft as shit. There are tons of stronger woods. A hickory lower might work nicely.
>>
>>34736348
Yeah just like on a FAL.
>>
>>34736348
Ruger mk series would like to disagree with you.
>>
>>34736331
>unless there's a much tougher wood/wood construction
Well yeah, pine is soft as hell.
Making it out of a hardwood instead, walnut or cherrry or something, sand and polish all the edges to reduce cracking as much as possible, wrap some tape around the most stressed areas, you could probably get 10x the durability out of it.
Whether or not that is enough to make it worth doing I can't say.
>>
>>34735472
Hey, my 1903 is a champ.
>>
>>34735323
Except the NRA helped draft the past few federal restrictions
>>
>>34737091
They helped draft the NFA. They simply supported or ignored everything else.
>>
>>34736471
This and maybe put some 20 gauge metal plate on the surfaces that will be most exposed
>>
File: what_did_he_meant_by_this.gif (240KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
what_did_he_meant_by_this.gif
240KB, 320x320px
>>34735239
>why not make more garage builds with disposable lowers?
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/676733_Fruity_Ghost___DIY_100s_of_ARs_cheaper__faster__gentler_.html
>>
>>34736777
That was made by the original Springfield Armory. The company today is totally different and just owns the name.
>>
There's no standard. Examples:

>Tec-9 - Receiver is the lower even though the upper is a fully functional tube. Yes, you can fire the gun without the lower installed, so the upper assembly is functionally a firearm but legally not a firearm.
>Sten - Lower can come shipped in any parts kit, non-regulated part, but the upper tube is the firearm.

Also:

>Ruger Mark Pistols: Lower is non-firearm, upper tube is firearm
>Browning Buckmark: Upper tube is non-firearm, lower is firearm.

>>34736348

Just because it has a serial on it doesn't make that part the firearm. Until the ATF made importers go to dot matrix in the early 2000's, most Mosin's imported technically did not have a serial number on the receiver. They had serials on the barrel, and while this is a non-regulated part, that's the default that 99% of FFL's use to log down a Mosin in their books, even though it's technically not the serial of that firearm. Case in point: I could buy one of those Mosin's, take the barrel out, and replace it with another barrel. All of a sudden the gun has a "different" serial number but the receiver wasn't modified to obscure or change the serial so there was no crime committed.

TL;DR - Gun laws are stupid and the people who write them are even more stupid.
>>
>>34735239
this would be a great time to link the pine abortion if that thread were still alive, but i think the images are gone.
>>
i tried this for a 1911 and it works perfect it alspo works with a mauser and my freind tried it on his ar15 and it worked better than the stock metal one
>>
>>34735472
I was going to buy an XDS in 40. I shot it at a range and liked it.
>>
File: sheet metal AR15.jpg (75KB, 622x406px) Image search: [Google]
sheet metal AR15.jpg
75KB, 622x406px
>>34735239
because I bought a stripped lower for $50, background check and all, that can be turned into anything from a handgun to DMR or even a Light Machine Gun with a sp-01 bcg and a REGISTERED AND TRANSFERABLE PRE 1986 AUTOSEAR in any caliber between .22lr and .50 beowulf

also this and printable plans of it exists, but 1/4" aluminum plate would probably run me more in materials and man hours than just buying a stripped lower from a guy in a walmart parking lot.
>>
>>34739361
>full auto Beowulf or .458 Socom

why boner, why? dont you realize how impractical that is??
>It doesnt care
>>
>>34735323
The most evil ungamable gun laws that could ever be written could be penned by a random fuck on /k/
>>
>>34736331
>uses pine
>surprised it breaks immediately
for something you could pick up at any home improvement store Red Oak is a good poorfag option. take the increased wall thickness CAD models for printable lowers and get to carving. Something gucci like Ironwood, ash, purpleheart, etc. would be sexy
>>
>>34736155
Should is sell off my 1951 Springfield Garand?
>>
>>34739477
>full auto Beowulf AR pistol with sig arm brace
Bolters on the way
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.