[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

National Guard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 16

File: 1481000468920.jpg (28KB, 669x471px) Image search: [Google]
1481000468920.jpg
28KB, 669x471px
Thinking about enlisting in my states national guard after college. anyone have experience with that branch, all I see on here is Army or Navy. is it a meme? should I do it? what is it like? Im from WI if that makes a difference
>>
>>34729861
Walking out for the Guard recruiter's office and into the Army recruiter's was the best decision I've ever made. I wouldn't join anything if you have a civilian job available, I'd go active officer if you don't.
>>
File: 1488554135230.jpg (69KB, 644x509px) Image search: [Google]
1488554135230.jpg
69KB, 644x509px
Because only puccis join national guard. I'll assume you have one yourself, in which case you are in luck.
>join National Guard
>let NCO's and Officers fuck you
>get promoted for doing nothing
>get pregnant before deployment
>get discharged with full benefits
>abort the baby
>???
>profit
Women have been doing this since the dawn of time. That's how they get power. By fucking there way to the top just to fuck everyone below them.
>>
File: qiunQW9.gif (560KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
qiunQW9.gif
560KB, 500x281px
>Enlisting in the NG
>After college

Wut?

The NG is what you enlist in to go to during college or after your active enlistment is up and you want to train in a more civilian friendly MOS. I went from 11b to 25b.

If you're already in college, you may as well get an ROTC scholarship, then talk with the NG about getting your branch of choice in the contract if agree to go NG, then transfer over to active as soon as possible.

I don't really see the point in enlisting after college unless you really, really want to operate.
>>
File: Sindrom_without_his_mask.jpg (161KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Sindrom_without_his_mask.jpg
161KB, 1280x720px
>>34730798
I want to do something after college before I jump into a career in law. I thought enlisting would be something to consider, its that or some shit like the peace corps but thats for faggots who arent /k/
>>
>>34732684
Fair enough.

Are you talking after undergrad or law school?

Having a large group of friends who went to law school including two roommates during their Bar prep, I can only imagine piling military duty on top of it would be hellish.

If you take the officer route, you can always see if the NG or Reserves can get you into law on their side. It might not be up your ally of doing military law on the weekend, but it's experience, and, technically, leadership experience at that in your field.

Keep in mind that if you're looking for combat arms stuff, you'll need to go NG.
>>
do they take RE3's
>>
National Guard is the boy scouts of the military. BTFO with this weak ass bait.
>>
>>34729861
>>34730002
>>34730798

DO NOT do ROTC. ROTC should honestly go away because the worst officers, especially in the guard come from ROTC, with the exception of dudes who go through it and are prior enlisted. Go enlisted first whether you go active/reserve/guard. Active would be the best bet but if you don't want to do that, reserve component is fine. Either way, do not commission right away because you will be in charge of people whose job you have never done and don't truly understand and it overwhelms most new officers, especially when they realize how much work they have to do the other 28 days a month without getting paid. Go in enlisted first and actually learn what officers do. If you want to shoot guns and do actual soldier shit, commissioning as an officer is not the way to go.
>>
>>34733168
>The Marines fucked me when I didn't reenlist

Yes, 90% of the time
>>
>>34729861
wisconsin troops have a very proud legacy of not being retarded stretching back over 100 years. Most guard units are retarded, WING is not. You also get tuition waived at any UW system or community college on top of your GI bill, and we have some damn good universities here too.
>>
>>34733226
There's actually a reason for the NG one. The NG poaches cadets with promises of branches of their choice in their contract. Normally, cadets have to compete with only the top percentages getting their branch of choice: infantry, medical, aviation, law, intelligence, etc. NG offers them up so long as you pass and they have slots contractually obligated to you. It ends up being a fail-safe for cadets who aren't confident they can do well enough against their peers to avoid getting a crappy branch.
>>
>>34733149
after law school, if everything goes well I can get into a school that allows me to get into the workforce without passing the bar first. but yeah I can only imagine that law school + military would be hell
>>
File: 1482252090220.jpg (133KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1482252090220.jpg
133KB, 1080x1080px
>>34733269
going to UWGB this year under my parents dime but once I hit law school I hope to get into madison so that might be useful. can you tell me more about WING?
>>
>>34729861
join the coast guard, much better
>>
I have also been considering the NG in my state. Have a great oaying job of 75k base salary plus benefits and travel pay. Im need to go back to school and get my degree in engineering. The main reason i want to do this is because i believe i could excel in the military, and want to prove to myself i can do it. Also helping my state/country in a crisis sounds great too.

My only gripe is if we go to war i wanna 100% get deployed. Im in SLC Utah and our national guard is one of two states that has a special forces division. Want to try for that. Any recommendations from people that have done this? I hope to go back to my job after training and work, go to school, and be enlisted.
>>
>>34733331
that only happened during the war and hey still got fucked most of the time. Cadets still have to compete for their preferred branch.
>>
File: btbVWFFA_400x400.jpg (23KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
btbVWFFA_400x400.jpg
23KB, 400x400px
Do something meaningful with your life and join the Marines. Don't be a bitch
>>
>>34734138
how bout a big "NO" for you, sorry I just dont want to be a muhreen
>>
>>34733964
I can't speak to Army Guard - my friends work 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year, and then get called up for Gov. Walker PR when the urban youth peacefully protest in Milwaukee, and actually do work when floods/tornadoes happen. Air Guard is more flexible as they have the air defense mission at all times - instead of the one weekend a month/two weeks a year bit, you have to work so many days on duty.
>>
>>34734138
>joining muhreens in peace time
I know we're abput to go to war with best korea, but most bases have army in SOK.
>>
I did guard for 6 years. It was fucking retarded. We never did anything meaningful or interesting. Shit pay, shit leadership, shit experience. Go active duty. I should have.
>>
>>34729861
Im a TX nasty girl, it's truly a half in kind of deal. Free college is great tho. But I wouldnt consider that I live a military lifestyle by any means.
>>
>>34734138
Army does the same job, with faster promotions and better gear. The other branches have enough govt idiots as is, they need the muhreens to divert any further stupidity.
>>
File: 1491730841750.jpg (37KB, 350x669px) Image search: [Google]
1491730841750.jpg
37KB, 350x669px
>>34734050

Correction: one of two states with a SF group headquartered there. The 19th group has units all over the west coast. Problem is, they do quarterly instead of monthly drills, for longer periods of time. It would be very disruptive for a regular job.
>>
File: 1479180551866s.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1479180551866s.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>34734290
I know this is a retarded question but what kind of training do you get, is it like boot camp for the Army? Do they make you shave your head?
>>
>>34734702
Army NG goes through Army Basic Combat Training (just like active duty soldiers), Air NG goes through Basic Military Training (just like active duty Air Force). You go through the same training as everyone else, but afterward you don't do full time service and instead do one weekend a month/two weeks a year plus other training and deployments.
>>
>>34734856
another retarded question: is there a difference between these and army reserves?
>>
>>34734897
Yes, NG get to live outta the house and are property of the state
>>
>>34734910
>>34734897
And NG has combat arms jobs, where reserves dont (last I knew anyway)
>>
>>34733239
>Army Affirmative Action hire.
Pretty much the same thing.
>>
>>34732684
If your going into the law join the army and stay in and collect mad bennies.

My cousin enlisted in college went to law school and spent the next 25 year in the reserves at the jag.
Then retired and became a prosecutor.

She's now collecting a military and a state pension after 35 years of working.
>>
File: 1497923213149.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1497923213149.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>34734117
Of course they got fucked, it's the military. They can offer whatever they want on paper, then provide seemingly innocent conditions that are meant to be failed. It's why they give out, or at least gave out, I'm talking about 5-10 year old information here, airborne ranger contracts.

It's easy. You just have to pass the PT test, that those 300+ PT studs mysteriously all fail with 41 push ups.

If they don't still do that with the Guard, then that's my mistake. Again, I graduated when the wars were still going strong.
>>
12b army to nat gaurd here. Its awful. Wish I never left.
>>
FL 11b here in NG. Our state tuition sucks. It was out of funds for 2 years. The website sucks. I'm lucky got some post 9/11 and TA after deployment.

Realize what you're signing up for. 6 years of either sitting in your armory on your cellphone and getting yelled at by wanna NCOs who have no combat experience, or occasionally going to "training" Friday -Sunday where you do some more sitting around, but with no sleep, and in the heat

NG is gay as fuck unless you really talk to some people, do a ton of research, etc.

It's probably still gay.
>>
What's wrong with an being an ROTC, I'm hoping to become a commisoned officer after this and making the army my career, any tips on how to become a better officer? Do I get a commission immediately after college or do I take a few more months of training ?
>>
How's Virginia NG? Thinking about joining.
>>
>>34737197
This. Do this.
>>
>>34738331
They get a bad rep from the hit and miss quality of programs local to their campus. OCS and Academy, you generally know what you're getting. ROTC is a wild card. Training cadets is a really cush job for career NCOs.

You do the training relevant to your branch. I believe Infantry now, if not all combat arms, are required to go through Ranger school before going to a unit. The leadership course for the tab, not Ranger selection.

As far as advice, be aware that you know less about actually being a soldier than the average E-3 when you get to your unit. Pray for a patient and helpful platoon sergeant for proper guidance. Understand that your NCOs know what they're doing, and let them do their job with as light a hand as possible. Nothing is worse than a new dick LT with delusions of grandeur in making his platoon the most high speed one in the company. You have to answer to your boss, but that doesn't mean you have to fuck over your guys. Humble yourself and ask as many questions of your NCOs as possible about being a soldier. Butterbars are a fast track to leadership, and you need to have a solid grasp on the basics of soldiering if you expect soldiers to trust their lives to you.

Be aware that enlisted soldiers won't trust you. NCOs will think you're a glorified private, and your superior officers will think you're a child. Pro-tip, they're probably right. Don't take it personally, take it as a learning experience.
>>
>>34740039
Also, don't try to be everyone's friend. Everyone hates sycophants, and trying to please people by letting them be lazy will make you a soft and poor leader.

Your good NCOs will hate you for being lenient, and you'll only drag everyone down. Let your NCOs know if you think something is fucked up, and let them handle it. If you ever find yourself telling someone to do push-ups personally, you've fucked up. Communication is important, but understanding who to communicate with is just as important. Those joes belong to their NCOs, and you make them look like ass by doing their job for them.
>>
>>34738331
ROTC gets a bad rap because the kids on campus think they are some hardcore badasses for parading around every weekend and getting up "early" for PT.
>>
>>34733954
>after law school I'm going
to keep going to school to avoid taking the bar

sounds good chief
>>
>>34740039
The best officers I saw were ROTC. OCS was hit or miss. West Pointers were 98% autistic dumbasses.
>>
>>34730103
I don't really see how any of that differs from Active Duty
>>
>>34729861
I went active duty army and never considered NG or reserve. I honestly wish I did. If you don't want to join because you have absolutely nothing else going on in your life, it's worth it to to do part time and go to school. You can almost always go active after the fact, you can't go active to reserve.
>>
>>34740039
So what's the best way for me to become a colonel, I want to rank up. As long as I don't fuck up won't I eventually get it is what a lot of NCOs say

Also, would it be good to do this.
>finish my 4-5 years in college
>become commisoned officer for 3 or 4 years
>keep going to school after

Will a surprise deployment fuck me up?
>>
>>34740156
I dont need to pass the bar if I go through the school of my choice or second choice in WI. Once you graduate you are auto admitted to the bar
>>
>>34734702
yes when you are on Uncle Sam's time you have to conform to Uncle Sam's grooming standards, and when you get to basic you will have your head shaved.
>>
>>34743613
Do you have to keep it shaved or have we moved on from the days of nam when you could do whatever after the initial shave
>>
>>34743743
In basic your head will always be shaved. Afterwards when you get to your unit you have some freedom to grow it out but within regs. This doesn't necessarily mean you can't grow it out outside of drill, you just have to be within regards for every drill.
>>
>>34743743
>>34743838

page 16 of the PDF is where it discusses what the grooming standards you must follow when on Uncle Sam's time, as you can see, hair is allowed, it just has to be short.
https://www.army.mil/e2/c/downloads/337951.pdf
>>
>>34743864
>>34743838
Thanks guys. Also is there any accurate depiction of what basic training is like?
>>
>>34743993
full metal jacket
>>
File: john-sixta-512x512.jpg (59KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
john-sixta-512x512.jpg
59KB, 512x512px
>>34743613
>>34743743
>>34743838
>>34743864
G R O O M I N G S T A N D A R D
>>
I'm going to offer a strong counter to alot of the plebs in this thread.

First and foremost - Active duty life fucking sucks balls, it only gets good for NCO's and officers and those that live off post. You'll get tired of it relatively fast - not that you won't have fun but Room inspections will take all the piss out of it for you. It's generally worse than say college dorm life. This does not apply to the Air Force or some parts of the navy where on post enlisted housing is luxury tier and a 24/7 party

Second - The national guard has combat units (which are by nature second line/fill in the gaps/etc).

Active duty life isn't for everybody, but Guard life can be a pain in the balls as well (you lose a weekend a month and 1/4 of your summer during an off year, in a deployment prep year you'll be losing 4 days a month, 1/2 your summer and you'll have 2 months of stateside check the box to deploy training right before you deploy).
The guard is also not the best option if your in it for the GI bill, but a short 2 year stint active followed by Guard service and the Guard will up front some of your education costs and help pay for a masters degree - meaning you pocket more of that sweet GI bill money.

One plus side is Guard service pairs extremely well with government jobs - esp. Firefighters and Police - they will either match guard pay dollar for dollar on drill/deployment/AT, or you will get your full pay at an 8hr a day rate,minus bonuses and OT. Meaning you double dip like a mother fucker.
Guard service also pairs suprisingly well with Military contractor jobs overseas. I knew guys who got lucrative jobs in Dyncorp and other companies on overseas US bases and were able to drill on their post with another unit or with an active duty unit
>>
>>34734138
>join Marines
>have gay sex with your battle buddies
>get shot
Gee, really sounds like a good life choice.
>>
>>34734138
Thanks terminal lance!
Off to the Marine Corps reserve I go because fuck active duty USMC (except MEU guys - that shit looks fun)
>>
>>34734856
Best path ever.
>Go Army NG
>End term of service and reup/transfer to the Air Guard
>By this time you should be an NCO
>Go active duty Air Force
>Chill and collect mad bennies, and occasionally police an airfield or watch as enlisted do it and you supervise
>>
File: Sembr_Fo.jpg (106KB, 639x620px) Image search: [Google]
Sembr_Fo.jpg
106KB, 639x620px
>>34734138
OORAH DEVIL DOGS
>>
>>34734897
It is for AWOL.
Army Reserves will literally send NCO's or MP's to your house if you don't show up

The Guard is less stringent, don't show and they'll make an attempt to contact you but that's it. Miss enough and you get discharged quick and clean, however you can make up the time you miss in the guard esp. if there was an emergency by doing work for the unit during the week.

Reserves don't have combat jobs strictly speaking - they do have aviation (and combat aviation), MP's and engineers.

There is also the fact that the Army/AF/USMC/and navy reserves are heavily dependent on active duty posts. While the guard is too the guard has large posts with their own training areas. Your average drill weekend will be at home post - which will have some training facilities. AT's will be at an active duty post or the states large guard training complex
>>
>>34744159
To further elaborate every paramedic/cop and firefighter should strongly consider the NG.
when you can make over 100k a year/twice your salary on a deployment double dipping
>>
>>34744159
You seem to know what you're talking about, so I have a question. I'm in the process of joining the ANG, and after BMT, tech school and two months of on the job training at my base, would I be employable afterward, i.e. without an active duty enlistment's worth of experience? I have several IT certifications and years of unrelated job experience already and I'll probably try to get a CCNA right after I finish the on the job training. Would this along with a TS be sufficient to get a decent paying job once I start the drill period? As a side note, my state pays 100% tuition for guard members, but is there any way to find out how reliable funding is?
>>
>>34734897
A continuation on >>34744276
If you AWOL in the reserves they'll find you, hell they could even put out an APB on you. Then they can jail you. Overall it takes more time and energy and the reserve is less lenient if something pops up. The reserves also use leave time if you want to skip a drill and give them a heads up.

The Guard will have you out and discharged much quicker than the reserves will (like 2 no call no shows not made up), but in the Guard if an emergency happens they are generally more understanding. You'll still get told to show up the following day (if you can), probably get smoked but can make it up during the work week with no harm or foul. They are very flexible towards making up drills, you can show up any day M-F to do bitch work, clean equipment, and get smoked.
It's also easy to say you can't make a drill as long as you give enough warning they'll arrange a time for you to make up the time either before the drill date or afterwards. You can use leave time as well with enough warning to skip a drill without having to make it up but it must be approved by the commander
>>
>>34744344
Yes.
The one downside is you only would have a DD-214 from completion of BMT/Job training, you'll need to give an employer this, unit letterhead stating your in your unit, and a drill schedule for the year.

Be wary and know the rules regarding guard member hiring (ie they can't discriminate, but it does happen - your field, the medical field, and government work is safe)
TS clearance is more field specific, but since you said IT yes.
Funding is reliable, but slow.
You will pay out of pocket initially every semester and be reimbursed. I'm a little bit different because I used post 9/11 but I had to register for classes and set up a payment plan, and pay nearly 1/2 of the semester tuition (just tuition) I usually got reimbursed after the 1st month of classes give or take. Expect the same.
>>
>>34744435
Awesome, thanks for the info. In regards to guard member hiring: obviously any potential employer will know about my status as a member since that will come out during interviews about experience and the like. What's the best way to approach this subject? Are most employers understanding and willing to hire you if they have your drill schedule up front? I'm planning on talking to other, older people on my base once I'm there about how they balance employment and the guard, but it's hard to get info like that before I tkae the leap of faith and actually enlist. I would assume that any civilian employer that requires a clearance would take into account that anyone holding a clearance is either currently in the military or just got out.
>>
>>34744276
>>34744354
There is a caveat to all of this with the guard - unit movements.
You miss an AT or drill that involves a movement and you get an Article 15 - with exceptions -
If something pops up last minute they'll allow you to miss the movement no harm no foul but you will still have to now drive in your POV to where the unit is, out of pocket, and make up the missed time after AT. An alternative which many units may have is multiple AT's for the battalion. If you miss *your* AT due to reasons you may have a chance to jump on another company's AT. Miss that and it's a field grade and they start prepping to discharge you.
If you no call no show miss an AT they'll straight Article 15 you and start prepping the discharge packet
>>
>>34744524
Basically an average drill weekend is one thing. A missed movement is serious business in the guard, just like the rest of the military
>>
>>34744518
Deployments are pretty much a done thing now, kinda, so the worst that means is you need to be at your drill site by 5-8pm the friday of a drill weekend.

Yeah a drill schedule up front is helpful, but they generally know the deal.
You don't really have to worry much, anything taking clearance into account whatsoever is going to be extremely military and guard friendly
>>
>>34744572
Hey thanks for the help. I've been trying to find this kind of stuff out for weeks but not many people really seem to know how it all works. I appreciate it.
>>
>>34744518
there is one little teensy hiccup. If you get a Clearance job that is going to involve SIPRnet access that shit has to bounce around to your unit as well as the DOD authority that handles access control. Your employer would have to be dealing with your unit AGR personnel and the Unit Commander, and vice versa.
There is an advantage to this as SIPR access opens up certain jobs in the Guard to you. Your going to have to be a squared away enough joe for the unit to take care of your shit in a timely matter. SIPR access also could radically change the role you play within your unit, esp. during deployment. But even for shit like AT's, it can result in you being attached to Battalion S3 for a period of time
>>
File: 1472663038635.jpg (38KB, 680x647px) Image search: [Google]
1472663038635.jpg
38KB, 680x647px
>>34744572
>Deployments are pretty much a done thing now
AZANG based out of Phoenix here, I'm still in RSP til the end of this month, but my cadre keep telling us we're goin innastan next year
I don't have the heart to tell my family yet
>>
>>34744652
You don't know until you know and even then you don't know. My unit was retasked from Afghanistan to Camp Buerhing for Kuwait/iraq border security at mobilization site training, less than 3 weeks from wheels up.
As soon as you are title 10 the Army can do what it wants with you
>>
>>34744631
Let me elaborate on this further, say you were army guard - Infantry, Cav, Arty or even an MP.
Your unit now knows you not only have SIPR access but you do it professionally.
You will be assigned to Battalion S3 on a deployment to do their SIPR shit 9/10 times, other wise you'll be assigned to your companies HHC and answer directly to the CO, XO and 1SG. Either way your entire deployment will be in an air conditioned TOC, or more precisely the secure area of an air conditioned TOC and access to this area will have generally have entry control
>>
File: 1496835672906.jpg (34KB, 540x303px) Image search: [Google]
1496835672906.jpg
34KB, 540x303px
>>34744699
figures, do you think deployment is a done deal though?
>>
>>34744748
Yes and no. You can still volunteer and jump on another units deployment. Figure out how to do that and do it before it's too late.
Hell I know Guard grunts who have jumped into deployments with Combat Engineer and MP units to fill in unit vacancies. The unit likes it too because now they don't have to put a female in a gunner seat
>>
>>34730798
Because people graduate with student loan debt and cant find a job to pay it off.
Its nice knowing you can always go down to the recruiters office when you get tired of job hunting.
>>
>>34744748
Army reserve guys are going to have a slight edge on this, as they can volunteer and jump into active duty deployments easier.
As a guardsman however you can volunteer for any states deployment, and there is a way to jump on active army deployments but it's specialized and something more geared towards aviation and support crews, and medical personnel
>>
>>34744004
for real? I thought that was a gross exaggeration from harsher times
>>
>>34744779
>>34744810
Nice, I signed as 11C, I think if the opportunity presents itself I'll volunteer. I want to deploy at least once.
>>
>>34744631
>>34744745
I have no idea what most of this means, but it sounds like if you need access to SIPRnet for your job, everyone knows about it and you're a valuable commodity who gets assigned to higher ups for intel purposes and access to that kind of information. Is that close?
>>
>>34744959
Yes, on the money.
If your MOS is giving you TS anyway it probably requires SIPR access at some point anyway
>>
>>34745007
Alright that sounds fair. Just to clarify, I'm enlisting in the Air Guard so there may be more AFSCs that require TS than MOSs, but I'm assuming things are pretty much the same across the board in terms of what you described. My AFSC would be a "cyber" one (IT) but it would be pretty cool to work for the intel crowd if my unit were ever deployed. When you talk about employers dealing with AGR for clearance related stuff, how does that generally work?
>>
File: 1499923471672.jpg (8KB, 208x250px) Image search: [Google]
1499923471672.jpg
8KB, 208x250px
>>34734138
>join muhreens
>spend 15 years as a Lance Corporal
No thanks
>>
File: 1498654870674.jpg (119KB, 634x953px) Image search: [Google]
1498654870674.jpg
119KB, 634x953px
>>34734530
>I'm a TX nasty girl
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>34733226
Rotc Worst officers? Have you met anyone out of west point on the cs or css side of the house? Straight fucking trash officers
>>
>>34734918
The only combat jobs are instructor positions at west point
>>
>>34745441
Texas national guard. Nasty girl is what the active side calls them
>>
>>34744572
Not really. I'm going to drill tomorrow morning and finishing Sunday night. We do that multiple times throughout the year.

Also I deployed straight out of basic. Obviously the guard is nowhere near the level of active , but don't go in thinking you're going to BBQ for 6 years and not deploy
>>
>>34733226
t. Junior Enlisted Scum who wishes he could lead morning PT as good as I do
>>
File: MWV21-500x650.png (266KB, 500x650px) Image search: [Google]
MWV21-500x650.png
266KB, 500x650px
>>34729861
i ran into a NG recruiter yesterday while wearing a meme war veteran hat. He gave me the stink eye. Does anyone know if these are real or fake ribbons?
>>
>>34744800
I guess I can get that, but I would really recommend an officer track if you have the prerequisites to attend OCS. You're selling yourself short if you don't, especially if you're joining purely for financial reasons or to pad your resume. Officers are looked upon far more favorably than junior enlisted and even NCOs. Civilians don't generally appreciate the leadership qualities of NCOs unless they've also served.

>>34743013
I can't give you rock solid advice on becoming a colonel as I've never been one. I know that getting promoted past Captain is a lot harder because that's when the real competition kicks in. It becomes a game of politics. Get good at talking to people and networking is the only advice I can give you. Luck and knowing the right people is big the higher up you go.

You're not going to become a colonel in 3 or 4 years. You might not even make captain in that time, let alone major or LTC. Major and above is reserved for career officers only, and a deployment will only help your odds. Dig deep and ask what exactly you value: your military or civilian career.
>>
>>34745078
Do they have a 1N4 slot available?
>>
>>34749963
>Officer
>Leading PT
Pick one.
>>
>>34750468
At the base I'll be assigned to, yes. Not sure if they currently have a slot open or how all of that even works
>>
>>34733226
ROTC is bad yes but then again it's due to the environment and circumstances not the people. In my school the environment is relaxed and not pressed. Failures to arrive on time or pass up critical info to CoC is constant. I know from being enlisted this isn't how shit works and that people are in for a ride fucking awakening.
>>
Im in college too, currently doing my PhD in clinical psychology but honestly I'm getting bored and tired of this b.s.

I'm thinking of joining a branch but I wonder if it's really worth it at this point. Should I leave college to join?
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.