[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College or Gunsmithing school?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: based pa.png (352KB, 959x771px) Image search: [Google]
based pa.png
352KB, 959x771px
/k/ I want to leave uni and consider going to gunsmithing school.Any recommendations or is this a bad idea. I am only in my first year of college but I want to do something that will truly make me happy.
>>
>>34728104
Gunsmithing is not a valid career path. There's no money in it.

Go become a machinist and if you wanna try to break into gunsmithing from there, go for it.
>>
>>34728104
College you absolute moron.
>>
>>34728115
Not OP but why is there no money?
>>
>>34728104
Finish college then buy a gunsmithing shop after you become a 10k a day CEO math phd
>>
>>34728115
This. Machining is an actual profession. Gunsmithing is to machining, as a first aid course is to medical school.
>>
>>34728115
ill consider it.
>>
>>34728115
>>34728505
These.
>>
>>34728487
Because 99% of problems with guns can be fixed extremely easily. 90% of your business will be this. Of the other 10%, 9% of that will be mounting scopes. The final 1% will consist of the specialty shit that people don't want to pay someone experienced, so they pay you to do it because you're cheaper than Bill Wilson or Ed Brown, but expect those same results.

Also college is one of the easiest fucking things ever. I'm doing it on hard mode going for a mechanical engineering degree while working full time, but I have a family to support. If you don't have a wife and kids and you're considering dropping out, then you aren't cut out to work anywhere.
>>
>>34728487
Sorry forgot to quote OP on that last part.
>>
>>34728104
Don't listen to these faggots OP. I'm about to graduate from a gunsmithing school and it's awesome. There is some truth to what they're saying, learning machining would be a bit more practical. I wouldn't say there's "no money in it" you're just not going to get rich. You'll earn enough to live comfortably though. If you truly love guns, then go for it. I'm really happy I did.
>>
>>34728920
You haven't even graduated yet you faggot, what do you know about how profitable the industry is?
>>
I got hired as gunsmiths apprentice when I was winding down from school.

Had quit University and was taking a couple classes the community college.

Was getting paid a few buck over minimum wage and while I learned a lot about guns my lack of general machining experience really held me back unless my boss took time to teach me specifics.

I quit and am back in the University again going for something I love.

Gun smithing is definitely a fun hobby.

Don't make your hobby your day job because you'll grow to hate it just like any other 9 to 5.
>>
>>34728925
Working on the side, talking to people in the industry literally all day, every day for the last 3 years. I have a pretty good idea. Like I said, you're not going to be rich, but that's pretty relative. I've been a poorfag my whole life so a gunsmith salary looks pretty nice to me. I'd rather live modestly and do something I love, than do something that makes me miserable for a few extra shekels.
>>
>>34728960
Colorado or Arizona?
>>
>>34728104
>or is this a bad idea

it's not just a bad idea, it's a horrible idea

find some major you like or you can actually make $$ with like computers

get a day job making $70,000 cranking code then after a few years of that get an easier job so you have more free time

then go to gunsmith school
>>
>>34728104
Good hobby to learn, career..... you will
Lose alot of money.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.