[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do military vehicles have keys? if not how do they make sure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 17

File: 652281_6002_159_0001.jpg (53KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
652281_6002_159_0001.jpg
53KB, 640x480px
do military vehicles have keys?
if not how do they make sure nobody can steal them?
what if in battle enemy sneaks to your tank and steals it?
or trucks and jeeps parked at the base what if some soldier goes rouge can he just take em?
pic related
>>
>>34726658
bump please answer
>>
>>34726658
They don't have keys and all that keeps them safe at base is the fence and guards.
Case in point in 1995 a plumber stole a M60 from a Natty guard base and went on a joyride.
>>
>>34726708
>all that keeps them safe at base is the fence and guards.
This + the fact that the bigger stuff normally has more of a start-up process than "hit the start button and mash the gas"
>>
How does one secure their surplus vehicle from degenerates?
>>
>>34727497

Keep them in a garage, or install a kill switch somewhere.
>>
>>34726658
Yes you fucking boot they need keys, now get the fuck off /k/, you're NCO is waiting on them
>>
File: IMG_0520.jpg (2MB, 2160x1620px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0520.jpg
2MB, 2160x1620px
No, they have an on/off switch but are usually secured with a padlock.

Pic related, but is not the appropriate padlock for humvee.
>>
>>34726708
german ones do
>>
>>34726658
they have a switch and they are normally secured with a chain and padlock through the steering wheel and the door handles can be padlocked/combat locked from the inside in the case of up armored vehicles
>>
>>34726658
Unless the company/unit keeping them are retarded, everyone will use at the very least a padlock and chain to secure the vehicle, so if some one were to go crazy and try to steal one he would either have to bring a pair a bolt cutters, count on being able to break the chain when he gets moving for any vehicle that doesn't have a latch to slap a padlock onto, or try to keep him self well composed enough to get the key for the lock from who ever is holding it. There are moments when a vehicle would be unlocked and ready to go but in general there will be people working on said vehicle when that happens.
>>
>>34727563
>you're NCO is waiting on them
wew
>>
>>34727655
>some one who is presumebly military
>not retarded

Pick one.
>>
Jeeps do have keyed ignitions though.
>>
>>34727497
A big ass fence and some dudes with rifles
>>
>>34727691
And the most common cause for latrine duty from dubya-dubya-too up to the early nineties was disabling your jeep by dropping the key in the grass/ under the seats/ in the building you drove here from/ wherever.

That's why we don't use keys anymore.
>>
>>34726658
Of course they do.
Are you telling me you lost them?
Get fucking looking you shit.
>>
>>34727882
I had a CJ-2A from 1946, cross some wires to bypass the key and it's just a push button start.
>>
I remember going to the state fair a few years back and sitting in one of the humvees the army brings. The things were unsupervised with the doors open and the wheels didn't have chocks on them. I went and turned the starter just to see if the engine would turn on and it did. I could've run over a hundred people and drove off to wherever in a bullet proof vehicle if I had so wanted to.

Military personnel aren't the smartest
>>
>>34727882

Yes indeed.
>>
>>34727976
>the "civilians don't understand something so they think it's dumb" meme

You could have done the same thing with your own car, and didn't; humvee's only have the cabin armored - the engine block and radiator are totally exposed to save weight. IOW, never go full Dunning-Kruger.
>>
>>34727976
what did they do?
>>
>>34728008
>Smokes at halts only

Fugg.
>>
>>34727674
>presumebly military
>presumebly

>calling other people retarded

wew lad
>>
>>34727976
You could do the same damn thing in your own car on the daily, and yet we're all blessed by the fact that you don't.

Keyed ignition adds a million fucking bullshit-ass parts to the vehicle that it genuinely doesn't fucking need. And who the fuck is going to have the keys when you're in a combat position, dumbass? What if the key-owner is fucking shot? Or, even better, what if he's hit with an explosive?

There's a million fucking reasons that military vehicles don't need keyed starts. You're just a smarmy, cock-sure dumbass who thinks he's hot fucking shit.
>>
chain and padlock, at least back in the '80's when I served. Mutts. Gamma Goats. Buggy's. but there were some chevy military trucks that did have ignition keys.
>>
>>34728126
here's a leopard 2 driver's position
>>
>>34728123
>on 4chan
>not calling others retarded
>can't even spell whew

Go find those sparkplugs for the humvee boot.
>>
>>34728265
Who gives a flying fuck about european tanks?
>>
>>34727627
Kraut tanks also have signal lights, mirrors and licence plates.

Figures that German police wont even let a tank drive unless it conforms to road standards.
>>
>>34728032
I was more referring to the idea that no one was watching them as probably hundreds of kids climbed through them

>>34728086
Nothing because no one could be fucked to watch them

>>34728126
At what point was a defending keyed ignitions? I was pointing out the idea that its moronic to leave unattended, fully functional vehicles near unsupervised children. Go practice your reading comprehension, private dipshit
>>
File: IMG_4152.jpg (171KB, 900x731px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4152.jpg
171KB, 900x731px
>>34728388
wew lad
>>
>>34728484
This applies in most western countries. It would be a PR nightmare for the military if someone crashed into a tank and died at dark because they didnt have the right lights etc.
>>
File: 1493162064546.png (398KB, 613x477px) Image search: [Google]
1493162064546.png
398KB, 613x477px
>>34728388
whew lhad
>>
>>34728745
No they dont, go look at an M1 compared to a leopard. At most the Abrams has brake lights and convoy lights. It does not have fold out mirrors, licence plates, etc
>>
>>34728388
>calling civis "boot"
>pretending to be a crayon eating squid humper

go get me some grid squares and slime light fluid, then push till you kys.
>>
>>34728856
Yeah, and they don't drive them on the fucking road, either.
>>
>>34727610
>Not appropriate padlock
what is an appropriate padlock then? All the Humvees in my unit's motor pool use a similar padlock.
>>
>>34729126
A heavier duty one
>>
>>34728976
Congrats on missing the entire fucking point of what you were arguing.
>>
>>34726658
All military vehicles have a section of chain bolted to the dash. This piece of chain is then looped through the steering wheel, and padlocked.

That is their security.
>>
>>34728899
>being a tripfag
>telling someone in 4chinz to do any kind of physical activity
>haze yourself to death
>>
File: 1497000671911.gif (424KB, 464x381px) Image search: [Google]
1497000671911.gif
424KB, 464x381px
>>34729392
I'm going to report him to my chaplain, the company commander and my corporal!
>>
>>34727643
Yeah, this.
Usually the key to the lock and chain is kept with the vehicle's logbook and locked away wherever.
>>
File: staredown.gif (3MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
staredown.gif
3MB, 300x169px
People guard the vehicles and put locks on the steering wheels. The risk of having someone possibly steal your truck is worth it when the alternative is some idiot losing the key to the ignition.

An added bonus is that most people expect a key ignition, and will end up sitting there like a moron when they're greeted with switches and buttons that don't apparently function because you have to use them in a certain order while timing them to little lights.
>>
>>34729350

Not G Wagons.
Not land rovers
Not LAVs
Not M113s
Not M1A4s

The only reason that humvees have a chain and padlock is that people want to steal them for parts.
>>
>>34731049
Oh look, I can se an MRAP through the fence at the Nat Guard depot.

Do some research in the interwebby thing.
Hay, that thing has a TM dash numbers on line.
Wow. So that's how to start one of them things.
>>
>>34726658
>what if in battle enemy sneaks to your tank and steals it?
You hit it with the repair tool until he gets out, then he does the same and so forth.
>>
Have you never watched gundam OP?
>>
File: IN AMERICA.png (331KB, 717x540px) Image search: [Google]
IN AMERICA.png
331KB, 717x540px
>>34727691

I don't know why the afterthought megasize cup holder is so fucking hilarious to me.
>>
Maybe it's just a marine thing but I've never seen padlocked vics like everyone is talking about. I've heard some units in oki do it but I've personality never seen it.

Motor pools tend to be secured by a gate complete with barbed wire, with only the OOD (who is armed) having access to the key to open the gate during nonwork hours. It's also the responsibility of the OOD to walk the areas owned by the unit to ensure a good state of police and that no one is breaking in or anything.

Even if someone wanted to steal one I wouldn't see why. They're slow, half are broken at any given time, and they're really not even fun to drive.

So really a combination of fences, bootenants, and common sense prevents people from stealing a Humvee.
>>
>>34726708
This reads like every kommando's wet dream
>Be suicidal plumber and former mil
>Steal tank from base
>Go on joyride through San Diego
>Suicide by cop

Real question though could he have locked the hatch to prevent the cops from getting in or did he break the locks when he crowbarred open the hatch to steal the tank?
>>
>>34729126

That's a brass padlock meant for Pelican cases, I would hope that your unit is using at least American Lock 5200's or preferably AL 700's. I've also seen them secured with Gov-issue Master locks, slightly better than a brass lock but not ideal.
>>
Reminds me of the up armored humvee I borrowed and then didn't return for a couple months.

Boss Man faggot 3k wanted me to clean and test two mod deuces since I wasn't going on a mission that day.

One peppered a man's dick, balls and legs the other was thrown from top a truck into the dirt.

Anyway I went to the toc and got the keys to one of the Humvees we had laying around getting old since we now had mraps. Drove to the range tested the dick blaster and it worked flawlessly, home boy failed to head space and time it properly.

The other one only fired individual shots and was subsequently sent off to the armory and never seen again.

Anyway, now I had my own vehicle! I fucking drove everywhere. Gym, chowhall, out towards the end of the base to jerk off. It was great! Turned in the keys a few days before we left.
>>
>>34731587
Humvees are literal garbage vehicles. Why would you ever want to stael one?
Its highly possible it'll break down after 2 days.
>>
>>34731598
Yes, congratulations, it is easy if you thoroughly research the vehicle before hand, which is why it happens literally everyday, and the military is a bunch of idiots for not just going to key ignition. We don't even know where half the Strykers in Europe are. Probably in Vasily's driveway for his daily commute, or used as target practice after it breaks down or runs out of fuel.
>>
>>34726658
>goes rouge
Or he could go eyeliner. Summer.
>>
>>34732114
Same, but we also had a roving post in camp guard that basically just walked around the perimeter of the motor pool for four hours. Or took a nap behind it. You know.
>>
>>34728008
What does a "1st echelon check" entail?
>>
File: IMG_3842.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3842.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
>>34726708
Hmmmmm
>>
>>34728388
>spark plugs
>diesel engine

matey i'm not in the military but even I know that diesel engines don't have spark plugs!
>>
>>34733597
>not getting the joke
>>
>>34733338

Checking fluids, belts, tire pressure, lights, battery and all that.
>>
>>34727691
I'm pretty sure my mom's m38a1 didn't have a keyed ignition before it was converted to 12 volt.
>>
Back several years ago when news media was running all those stories on the militarisation of the police and how military surplus was getting donated to various police departments, at least one of those ex-military vehicles was stolen right out the front of a police department car park because it was keyless.
>>
File: 1500261956225.jpg (17KB, 398x370px) Image search: [Google]
1500261956225.jpg
17KB, 398x370px
>>34727917
This made me giggle more than it should have
>>
>>34732153

We use shitty padlock ones
>>
>>34737263

Typical, the good news is your bolt cutters are probably equally shitty.
>>
Wouldn't it be wise to set up a password only guys on your unit/units know? Or create keys and give everyone on your side the same key? Yeah they can be lost but you also can lose your fucking rifle.
>>
>>34738012
If you can lose a rifle as easy as a key there's a big problem.
>>
Most vehicles have locks and chains for the steering wheel, thats it.

Some national guard fucks drove their humvee to the movie theatre near my base once. We just got done drinking at buffalo wild wings, so of course, we jumped in and drove it straight until we hit the end of the parking lot and left it there.
>>
File: what no.gif (488KB, 284x210px) Image search: [Google]
what no.gif
488KB, 284x210px
>>34732153
>Gov issued MasterLocks
>>
>>34729306
no u
>>
>>34726658
don't they have some Allen wrench like keys? At least in Germany they did.

Some Tanks had actual keys.
>>
I don't know what they do on bases, but we design them so you can lock them with a padlock from the outside.
>>
>>34738319
What happened next?
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.